Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:15:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In Community Spirit - Stop Buying More Miners?  (Read 741 times)
Bitcoin++ (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:48:30 AM

Just want to know what you guy feel about this:

1. Is the right thing to do to stop buying miners to prevent difficulty from rising too much?
or
2. Is the right thing to do to buy more miners to prevent a 51%-attack?

Personally I believe in #1 because most of us have older miners, like Antminer S1s, that truly help the network stay decentralized. If we keep these "alive" a few more months the GHash issue is probably resolved, and there will be more data centers in various locations around the globe - which also is decentralization in a way.
KimNam

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:51:22 AM

do you mean buy mining rig/hardware?
we can't stop people to buy new hardware. people will stop when ROI seem impossible in their calculation, either because BTC prices crash or difficulty is too high
prevent 51% attack? just stay out from ghash.io Grin
but since they offer best choice for miners, not simple like that to say stay out from ghash.io Sad
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 07:38:52 PM

we can't stop people to buy new hardware. people will stop when ROI seem impossible in their calculation, either because BTC prices crash or difficulty is too high
but since they offer best choice for miners, not simple like that to say stay out from ghash.io Sad

I don't use ghash.io for that reason and we are pushing a ton of hashing power.  Support a diverse amount of pools.   

-D

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Comcaster

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 08:11:06 PM

I think we need to make a new incentive to spread the mining power out
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 09:36:16 PM

It's a free, international market. People are going to do what is best for them, not what's best for BTC. Even if you could stop individual miners from buying more machines (which you won't), you'll never stop corporations from building massive datacenters as long as they continue to profit.
Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 10:44:19 PM

It's a free, international market. People are going to do what is best for them, not what's best for BTC. Even if you could stop individual miners from buying more machines (which you won't), you'll never stop corporations from building massive datacenters as long as they continue to profit.

This is true.

Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
pjviitas

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:42:57 AM

1. Is the right thing to do to stop buying miners to prevent difficulty from rising too much?
or

Personally I believe in #1 because most of us have older miners, like Antminer S1s, that truly help the network stay decentralized. If we keep these "alive" a few more months the GHash issue is probably resolved, and there will be more data centers in various locations around the globe - which also is decentralization in a way.

More miners has always been good however its starting to get to the point where the questions is "Where am I going to plug them in?"
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:02:25 AM

or

More miners has always been good however its starting to get to the point where the questions is "Where am I going to plug them in?"

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622998.0 Plenty of places to pick!

pjviitas

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:11:56 AM

or

Nice to see someone get a plug in for colocation services however all these services do is increase the overhead for running miners.
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:35:16 AM

Nice to see someone get a plug in for colocation services however all these services do is increase the overhead for running miners.

Increase the overhead? How come? I'm paying the same price for power as I would do home and I don't have to worry about any cooling or cabling problems. It's also an advantage for me because I have already maxed out my power circuit. Instead of upgrading my circuit and setting up cooling I'm just sending my new miners to a DC and they take care of everything. Win-Win!

taipo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Kia ora!

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 04:01:48 AM

Pools with high hashrates attract huge mining rigs due to the guaranteed and constant payouts that has the luck factor minimised as much as possible.

Is why ghash.io continues to grow and dominate over any of its neat little features it offers to its users.

ghash.io would have to completely screw up in order for miners to exit in sufficient numbers to bring about equilibrium.

Support the two platforms essential to protecting the identities of whistleblowers. Both accept bitcoin donations.
https://globaleaks.org - GlobalLeaks ( btc: see http://goo.gl/D5wM0L )
http://goo.gl/sZg2RN  - SecureDrop: whistleblower submission system
Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 04:26:07 AM

or

You obviously do not know what you are talking about in regards to the value of hosting.  This generation of ASIC miners are almost too big for a home power grid, especially if you have more than one and these days you do.   The costs of mining will be bore period, many people do not want 2,000 watt heaters in their house during summer. 

KimNam

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:08:59 AM

I don't use ghash.io for that reason and we are pushing a ton of hashing power.  Support a diverse amount of pools.   

-D
which pools do you use?
any suggestion?
Dalkore
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 06:40:19 AM

-D
which pools do you use?
any suggestion?

Slush, BTC Guild, etc....  Those are both decent pools.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: