Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:43:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: any good IPOs going on?  (Read 5342 times)
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:33:53 PM

daytrading is so hard though. with an IPO the decision is made, I can't back out, that's what I like about them.

Yeah, but 90-95% are scam or will fail because the developers lack vision or talent or marketing. And you don't know that beforehand, you don't know anything about developers usually or their plans. Investing in an established undervalued coin is a lot safer. Just my opinion.
merockstar (OP)

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

BTS: merockstar420

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:38:59 PM

daytrading is so hard though. with an IPO the decision is made, I can't back out, that's what I like about them.

Yeah, but 90-95% are scam or will fail because the developers lack vision or talent or marketing. And you don't know that beforehand, you don't know anything about developers usually or their plans. Investing in an established undervalued coin is a lot safer. Just my opinion.

a bigger risk results in a bigger payoff
devphp

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:41:37 PM

yep, it's called gambling Smiley

oh, and when I say investing in an undervalued established coin, I don't mean daytrading.
You take a position and hodl.
merockstar (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:47:05 PM

yep, it's called gambling Smiley

oh, and when I say investing in an undervalued established coin, I don't mean daytrading.
You take a position and hodl.

I'm willing to entertain the notion. Problem is I'm a weak hand Sad

Nonetheless do you have any recommendations?
devphp

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:52:31 PM

For an IPO - no, for reasons mentioned above.

For undervalued coins, I'd look in the direction of NXT, perhaps some Dogecoin and maybe a little of these new CryptoNite protocol ones - Monero/Quazarcoin/Fantomcoin/Boolberries.

But don't try to day trade them, you will lose.
merockstar (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:56:38 PM

For an IPO - no, for reasons mentioned above.

For undervalued coins, I'd look in the direction of NXT, perhaps some Dogecoin and maybe a little of these new CryptoNite protocol ones - Monero/Quazarcoin/Fantomcoin/Boolberries.

But don't try to day trade them, you will lose.

My gut told me to invest in Nxt a week ago at 4 cents and I didn't listen Sad

Now I'm wondering if the current price is sustainable... which is why I have to ask you to explain why you think it's undervalued right now.
HinnomTX

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:57:08 PM

My suggestions:
1. Buy some NXT.
2. Take a look at NEM stakes being sold on the NXT DEX. Consider buying a partial stake.
3. Buy some MaidSafeCoin. This is still priced near or below the IPO price depending on the day.
4. Buy some XCP. It's only about about 4x the IPO price.
5. Look at crowd-sales and tokens coming through the pipe on the Counterparty DEX e.g. Swarm, Vennd.

Full disclosure: I own NEM stake, EXO stake, NXT, XCP, and MAID.

There's plenty of stuff going on, and no need to feel like you've missed out. "It's still early days". Smiley

I'll add my two cents on the Cryptonote coins. They won't fly for a very simple reason: the addresses are way, way too long. My mom isn't going to use those, ever. Too scary for her.
The NXT team was pretty smart to truncate the 256 bit public key to 64 bits (+ auto correcting RS code).  If you want to place a bet on anonymity, better to go with a competent, non-anonymous developer. There are scant few of those...

"One can only solve so much with cryptography. The rest of the solution will prove to be economic in nature." -Evan Duffield
Dash is Digital Cash.  https://www.dash.org
devphp

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 03:00:28 PM

My gut told me to invest in Nxt a week ago at 4 cents and I didn't listen Sad

Now I'm wondering if the current price is sustainable... which is why I have to ask you to explain why you think it's undervalued right now.

In short, a lot of exposure to the fiat world is coming this summer, GoCoin.com payment processor has joined and will bring a lot of merchants on board soon, a lot of projects being developed on the NXT Asset Exchange, new core functions are being added in the next release. More info at nxtforum.org
merockstar (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:27:59 PM

my gratitude to you guys for the thoughtful responses. this thread has given me alot of homework to do.

I'm definitely going to pick up, and do my best to hang onto a little bit of nxt. For the moment though I'm scared because of how quickly the price just rose. I worry that one of the big early investors is sitting there right this very moment going "well... I guess this is as high as its going to get for the time being, time to dump and buy back low."

I've decided I'm going to eyeball it for a week or two first, then buy in, just in case the price falls.

I think nxt is a really sexy looking technology, but I worry about it being closed source. I realize that's less of a concern since Java code is apparently easily decompiled, but I still can't help but wonder why not just share the code? I also worry about Java as a platform. I'm not personally knowledgeable enough about programming to know for sure either way, but I have read concerns that Java code might be more exploitable than C++. The recent price spike has alleviated these concerns to some extent though, I figure if 50 million dollars worth of people did there homework and decided to buy in, then it must be okay.

Many of the coins being pointed out are very new to me, after having taking a short hiatus from crypto-land. I am in the process now of researching credits, syscoin, crypti, and the cryptonote (nite?) coins. I really do appreciate being pointed towards those things.

My suggestions:
1. Buy some NXT.
2. Take a look at NEM stakes being sold on the NXT DEX. Consider buying a partial stake.
3. Buy some MaidSafeCoin. This is still priced near or below the IPO price depending on the day.
5. Look at crowd-sales and tokens coming through the pipe on the Counterparty DEX e.g. Swarm, Vennd.

There's plenty of stuff going on, and no need to feel like you've missed out. "It's still early days". Smiley

I'll add my two cents on the Cryptonote coins. They won't fly for a very simple reason: the addresses are way, way too long. My mom isn't going to use those, ever. Too scary for her.
The NXT team was pretty smart to truncate the 256 bit public key to 64 bits (+ auto correcting RS code).  If you want to place a bet on anonymity, better to go with a competent, non-anonymous developer. There are scant few of those...

I really want to get in on some NEM, but can't. Even at .1 NEMstakes the price is out of my league. We're talking poverty here Sad otherwise I'd probably just buy a little bit of everything and hold forever. that's why I want to get in early on an IPO and actually get something of a foothold in crypto.

Maidsafe intrigues the living crap out of me. I've been reading about it, but something still isn't clear to me. How are the coins and the decentralized internet thing connected? I'm about to take another crack at learning more about this one.

Counterparty also piqued my interest quite some time ago, but I didn't buy for the same reason I didn't buy into mastercoin, because it's a layer on top of bitcoin right? I had trouble figuring out how both things worked. Obviously, I'm not the smartest turd in this punchbowl, but I'm not the dumbest guy on earth either, and my logic is if I have to struggle to figure out how to use these technologies, then there's zero chance of them becoming more popular. However, it could just be that the infrastructure around them isn't quite developed enough yet. If that's the case then I really need to take another crack at looking into those. Which this post has inspired me to do.

Can anyone recommend some good ELI5 guides for Counterparty?

You've all given me alot to think about.

devphp

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:31:24 PM

NXT is open source since a very long time.

As for your worries that some whale wants to sell, well, they do, so what, just sit it thru, the price will recover. Whales don't have limitless wallets, at some point adoption overtakes the selling pressure.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:41:05 PM

I'm pretty annoyed with myself.

Missed nxt.

sent a little bit of money to edgecoin (not much, thank god)

Missed Qora.

got in on the freebie part of eXo, but didn't invest, because I was skeptical

blah.

I've admitted to myself that I can't pick 'em.

So I'm asking you guys, are there any good IPOs going on right now? Why is it a good IPO?

IPOs are always good, but it suddenly turns bad when the IPO owner gets vanished Wink

gorillajam

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

win

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 05:55:16 PM

Qora is great because you just need to buy it and forget about it for 6 months. Most other oins have already matured in price or need constant maintenance to buy and sell. Qora like all genuine new codes rise to the top in the end.

BY the way, if what has been said about NEM's leader is true you don't want to be owning it.

merockstar (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:22:09 PM

Qora is great because you just need to buy it and forget about it for 6 months. Most other oins have already matured in price or need constant maintenance to buy and sell. Qora like all genuine new codes rise to the top in the end.

BY the way, if what has been said about NEM's leader is true you don't want to be owning it.

What has been said about NEM's leader?
devphp

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:25:12 PM

NEM will get the Disappointment of the Year award in 2014.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:43:43 PM

In my personal experience so far your lucky to find a single legitimate IPO out of 30.  Good luck in your search though.

I've had decent luck so far with petamine on havelock investments but even they are questionable atm.  Good luck to you whatever you decide.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
zhanlang13

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 08:30:11 PM

I Missed nxt. Embarrassed
I Missed simcoin
so sad.
pandher
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

Stagnation is Death

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 09:52:39 AM

I Missed nxt. Embarrassed
I Missed simcoin
so sad.

The sim exchange is near completion, maybe you can buy them cheap at launch
pastet89

Activity: 378
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 10:32:56 AM

Not sure for the IPO itself but pawncoins pump during ePawncoin IPO is a clever trick. Still room to grow next days IMO, check my sig.

Cryptostats.es
Momimaus

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

Never back down !!!

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 05:58:59 PM

My suggestions:
1. Buy some NXT.

The NXT team was pretty smart to truncate the 256 bit public key to 64 bits (+ auto correcting RS code).  If you want to place a bet on anonymity, better to go with a competent, non-anonymous developer. There are scant few of those...

Wow you got it almost exactly. nice one.

I would add Sianotes. Also traded on NXT ae. What do you think?

CoinTracking.info - Your personal Profit / Loss Portfolio Monitor and Tax Tool for all Digital Coins
CoinTracking is analyzing all your trades and generates in real time tons of useful information such as the profit / loss of your trades, your balances, realized and unrealized gains, reports for tax declaration and many more. For Bitcoin and over 3000 altcoins, assets and commodities.
Get 10% discount for all packages or create your own affiliate link to get 20% for every sale.
From Above

Activity: 700
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 06:01:30 PM

to answer the topic obviously nemstakes. to the fucking moon soon!

so cheap right now

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: