Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:52:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Spare" 7950 - no power costs  (Read 940 times)
edd1234 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 02:09:58 PM

Hi,

I have access to a PC that runs 24/7 and I don't pay for its power costs.
I also have a "spare" 7950.
From what I understand the profitability of mining bitcoins with GPUs has dropped massively due to ASICs (may be wrong, I don't really know what I'm talking about Smiley ).
So with GPUs, people seem to be mining Litecoin (or some other currency?).

How much could I roughly expect to make in 6 months? 7950s seem to have a "KHash rate" of 600+, and putting that into litecoin calculators with no power costs brings up about $214 profit (per year).

Is this roughly accurate?
Thanks!
mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:43:24 PM

Hi,

From what I understand the profitability of mining bitcoins with GPUs has dropped massively due to ASICs (may be wrong, I don't really know what I'm talking about Smiley ).

How much could I roughly expect to make in 6 months? 7950s seem to have a "KHash rate" of 600+, and putting that into litecoin calculators with no power costs brings up about $214 profit (per year).

Thanks!

If you can mine scrypt, I would recomend FTC or DOGE, those were the best working for me, but you can check on coinwarz.com  whats the best for you. Hope It helps. Good luck!

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Simon8x

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 04:58:08 PM

You can find scrypt coins with your GPU (and there are scrypt ASICs now).
You can also mine other coins (scrypt-n, scrypt-jane, x11, x13, etc) which are free of ASICs at the moment.

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:37:44 PM

Hi,

Thanks!
Definately check out coinwarz to determinte most profitable coin to mine.  Fact is, GPU mining any scrypt coin at this point probably won't net you as much as one of the Scrypt-N, X11, X13, or Grotesl coin's will.  Heck, even sha3 (maxcoin) is better to mine than LTC with a GPU right now imho

*Not to mention your GPU will last longer if your not trying to mine straight scrypt with it. Wink

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:16:56 AM

Hi,

Thanks!
Definately check out coinwarz to determinte most profitable coin to mine.  Fact is, GPU mining any scrypt coin at this point probably won't net you as much as one of the Scrypt-N, X11, X13, or Grotesl coin's will.  Heck, even sha3 (maxcoin) is better to mine than LTC with a GPU right now imho

*Not to mention your GPU will last longer if your not trying to mine straight scrypt with it. Wink

Even scrypt mining will not be profitable for long with GPUs as ASIC have entered the market and will soon saturate the market.
cech4204a

Activity: 252

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 05:08:47 AM

Run it for few months and you will have enough to pay a dinner. It's not paying off well, trust me, since everyone wants BTC difficulty is so high that without few 1000€ invested in miners you will not get nothing.

Bitcoin is DEAD
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:30:54 AM

Hi,

Thanks!

With GPU you need to account for heat.  One card should not be horrible.  But depending on case/airflow it is something to watch.

Make sure you are bought from somewhere that RMA is possible for this card.  Or have invoice/reciept from original purchase.  As running 24/7 eventually some cards will run into problems.  Also if this card you use for gaming I would not suggest mining hard unless you can handle a week plus without it doing a RMA.

If you enjoy it and have fun enjoy hopefullly one more miner out there.  This will not make you rich, or pay for power of who ever is paying for it with 1 card.
Wusolini
Legendary

Activity: 1190

no need to carry heavy money bags anymore

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:58:12 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2014, 07:17:18 PM by Wusolini

Hi,

Thanks!

Hi,

check roughly income with some autoswitching pool, like coinshift, clevermining, wafflepool or coinsolver...

Go to stats and find estimated profit per Mh (now it's around 0.0015 BTC/Mh daily)

Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 07:12:18 PM

Instead of directly mining litecoin, you could use profit-switching pools like https://www.multipool.us/ and http://clevermining.com/.
You can get slightly better result with it.
SunBin

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:34:10 PM

Renting it out on betarig is probably better as the rental rate usually beat what you mine yourselves.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 10:12:04 PM

better some change than nothing, and mining can be fun Smiley so do it for fun and little money
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:46:46 PM

Instead of directly mining litecoin, you could use profit-switching pools like https://www.multipool.us/ and http://clevermining.com/.
You can get slightly better result with it.

Multipools generally do have the best payouts per MH/s.

The thing is with that little of mining capacity you would almost be better off on a NPV standpoint if you were to sell it (get money now instead of over time)
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:19:21 AM

Hi,

Thanks!

as far as mining btc/ltc (sha256/scrypt algo) i would avoid it, because it is overruned by asics.
explore x11 and x13 coin mining, it will be less stress on your hardware, and you will have much bigger profits.
As far as pools go, you should use multipool (for example coinmine.pw) with auto-switch option ON.
And if you can check from time to time prices and keep your rig stabile, check out rig renting option (for example i use betarig.com)

and whatever you choose, allways check for any new miner/software, it may give you some "extra boost" of your hashrate, thus increasing your profit even more.

cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: