Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:02:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Boycott GHASH.IO/CEX.IO permanently  (Read 3981 times)
russokai (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 06:52:46 PM

Someone else just posted a thread similar to this one, but it bears repeating. We need to have one or two of these type threads on the front page EVERY DAY until we beat back this corrupt organization that can utterly destroy bitcoin if we aren't careful. (And ok can't destroy it but can irreparably harm it and cause the price to drop 80% or more overnight).

The bitcoin community needs to take this issue MUCH more seriously. It's not an area where we can afford to be lazy about....or try to be polite and "nicely" as them to please don't do a 50% attack...over and over and over.

Boycott them permanently and encourage others to do the same and keep doing so, well into the future.

I encourage others to post threads like this too.

And here is a very telling link:
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/bitcoin-mining-pool-ghash-io-is-unapologetic-risk-theoretical-51-attack/2014/06/12
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 04:42:10 AM

I think boycotting them will serve to be futile, as they are purchasing more hash power as they grow. These guys want to hit that 51% and they will not stop until they do.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 05:58:40 AM

Remember all that profit they earned by selling the overpriced mining power on CEX.IO - where do you think it's going....
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 06:08:21 AM

Someone else just posted a thread similar to this one, but it bears repeating. We need to have one or two of these type threads on the front page EVERY DAY
-snip-
-snip-

spam aint gonna work

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
joshraban76

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 11:05:37 AM

Boycotting them will not work, as still newbies and so, will join cex.io for gaining profit and such and making much thread won't help either.

I can't think of a good solution right now.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:23:22 PM

GHASH are the best, fuck the rest!

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
bitgold

Activity: 353

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:49:12 PM

Its a prisoner's dilemma. You can't rely on participants' good will, need to address the issue from the root.
ScryptAsic

Activity: 647
Merit: 501

GainerCoin.com 🔥 Masternode coin 🔥

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 01:43:12 PM

Just give them some time, I believe they would come out with a solution like implementing fees.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 02:37:39 PM

Says the user with the Ghash website link.   Grin

Centralized mining pool doesn't necessarily mean the best, especially in regards to a pool that size could possibly execute on the Bitcoin network.

When it comes to Bitcoin mining pools, bigger is definitely not better.  Just means low variance, and higher potential 51% attack risk.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
kickbit

Activity: 276

In Blockchain We Trust!

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 08:09:04 PM

So, there must be some better pools and services.
And when someone build very good pool - there is a risk it will gain 51% of power.

PS. cex/ghash wouldn't use any bugs and vulnerabilities. It will only discredit bitcoin network and these sites. They have enough profit not to risk in such stupid way.

BitMedia.IO - Advertise Your Bitcoin Project!

Realtime Bitcoin Price! Search - "Bitcoin price for Chrome" in Chrome App Store!
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:28:24 AM

So, there must be some better pools and services.
And when someone build very good pool - there is a risk it will gain 51% of power.

PS. cex/ghash wouldn't use any bugs and vulnerabilities. It will only discredit bitcoin network and these sites. They have enough profit not to risk in such stupid way.

Because you personally know the intentions of the owners of the pool?  For some people a million might seem like a lot of money.  There are many billionaires in the world who have enough wealth to buy every single BTC at today's price, and that would be chump change for a government sponsored endeavor.
Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:32:32 AM

Please try to feed this bullshit to somebody else , because they have already perform the double-spending attacks.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=327767.0

Thet would be impossible without profit-fools like you.
doldgigger

Activity: 170

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 12:52:42 PM

Please try to feed this bullshit to somebody else , because they have already perform the double-spending attacks.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=327767.0

Thet would be impossible without profit-fools like you.

I can only repeat what I already posted on the same topic earlier. Pools will always grow too big if we don't change our understanding of what mining is for. Complaining to people because they head for profit simply doesn't work. What Bitcoin needs is enough diversity of different policies for including transactions in blocks. This will force people to decide on the pool whose policy best matches their own interests, thereby leading to an equilibrium between different policies.

19orEcoqXQ5bzKbzbAnbQrCkQC5ahSh4P9
Feel free to PM me for consulting and development services.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 01:30:03 PM

I don't know if I'm in favor of this. The whole idea of bitcoin is growth and these guys are growing.

If we're going to prevent a legit business from operating, we might as well start tainting coins and implementing Mike Hearn's fancy pro-govt security features into the protocol...

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
worhiper_-_

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 01:31:28 PM

And that's why we can't have nice things. Indeed they're a nice pool but we should decentralise the hashrate for the sake of the network's safety. I agree that other pools have to compete too though. Ghash is all shiny and stuff.
dlowings

Activity: 226

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:47:06 PM

I don't know if I'm in favor of this. The whole idea of bitcoin is growth and these guys are growing.

If we're going to prevent a legit business from operating, we might as well start tainting coins and implementing Mike Hearn's fancy pro-govt security features into the protocol...

you totally missed the boat… one of the goals IS growth, but an even BIGGER goal was decentralization …. You might want to get your slide deck right… I do not and will not use Ghash for this very reason.. having this much market share is not and will NEVER be good for BTC … anything over 35 is bad IMO . waiting until it got to 49 in order to pull the fire alarm was a BAD move for the community ...

BTC donations welcome:- 1BrersvQubEKt4m2hBXDNvU1B4RiYe6J4i   -   Feel free to visit wiki.chainminer.com for free hardware listings, and mining info. -  IRC on freenode #wiki.chainminer.com
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:49:58 PM

I like slushies..

F GEO!
Didldak

Activity: 150

Oh boy!

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:45:18 PM

boycott by adding more hash power to other pools, thats it. Together we are strong, much stronger than ghash itself.

Hey.. watsup.
cosmicapex

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:53:00 PM

Someone else just posted a thread similar to this one, but it bears repeating. We need to have one or two of these type threads on the front page EVERY DAY until we beat back this corrupt organization that can utterly destroy bitcoin if we aren't careful. (And ok can't destroy it but can irreparably harm it and cause the price to drop 80% or more overnight).

The bitcoin community needs to take this issue MUCH more seriously. It's not an area where we can afford to be lazy about....or try to be polite and "nicely" as them to please don't do a 50% attack...over and over and over.

Boycott them permanently and encourage others to do the same and keep doing so, well into the future.

And here is a very telling link:
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/bitcoin-mining-pool-ghash-io-is-unapologetic-risk-theoretical-51-attack/2014/06/12

I've replied to other threads like this one with the same response.

ghash has better features than other pools and doesn't rape you with fees & cex.io iteself is a pretty unique service and other similar services to it that I've seen are simply horse shit in comparison.

So unless you can find a way for humans not to be greedy, the solution is for other pools & cloud mining companies to step up their game. 

Also I think these threads are utterly useless, bashing them is so childish.
boliu

Activity: 267

6th BTC reached. Thank you for your support

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:57:40 PM

if all people leave ghash, where will the go?

better off to have a 51% ghash, then a 51% unknown.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: