Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:35:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me build a Rig :) What should i buy ?  (Read 1314 times)
Sakarias (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 07:58:04 PM

Hello! so me and my 2 brothers and a friend are going to put our computers together and but tons of bitcoin mining Equipment!
now, we're kinda new to this and we're not really sure what to buy :/
we're aimming to go 5TH/S +++       Power cost is not a problem. belive it or not but we do have our own build power station haha. but anyway, please give us tips on what to buy!!
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2014, 08:03:40 PM

Mining is pretty much pointless in Bitcoin. And if you're trying to go 5TH/s, then it's going to be very... Expensive. I don't even think GPUs can still compete with ASICs. It'll at least take $15K+.

Go over to the Mining section. They'll help you if it's possible.
aosmith

Activity: 50

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2014, 08:39:44 PM

GPUs are worthless.  Even with your own power station your costs have to be close to $0.02/KWH.  1 super high end GPU rig might do 2GH/s and draw 1kw+.  That means you're making ~$0.04/machine/day while each one is costing you roughly $0.48/day in power.
loewen.brad

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:23:07 AM

Buy yourself 5 Bitmain Antminer S2 units. That will get you to your 5Th/s mark. They have the lowest power consumption needs (approx 1.1 watts/Gh/s) and they're basically plug and play. Each unit currently costs 3.881 BTC from Bitmaintech.com. Total cost minus any shipping for 5 units would be around $11,300 USD

BTC Donation address: 1C9kFrgD4iHRnH7p86HaAQ5oSaEuzqmjf8
XIV Donation address: XErCR9BXh2oVXBy2Yh48qcRaX9tdDCRH5J
EchoZulu

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:55:00 AM

Buy shares in a company that does this professionally.
Either that or mine something other than Bitcoin.
The era of individuals successfully mining is over.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:18:08 AM

Let me tell you right now: Quit while you're ahead. Don't buy the mining equipment for bitcoin. Invest in some other alts as you can mine large amount for a cheaper price.

You have to hand the mining over to the large companies now, as it is increasingly harder to run anything individually and be successful with it.

GPU mining is what you're going to be looking at for alts, and do 't expect to beat a few gigs hashes in mining capability. The GPUs are Mega-hashes for a reason.

And don't mine a coin using pure Scrypt now, as the scrypt ASICs messed up that, and so look for x11, x13, skein, MAMMP, Multi-algo, or anything else for that matter. No SHA256D mining and no Scrypt mining. Keep it simple like that.

As for GPUs to buy, get ATIs, according to some friends of mine who do mining in other coins, but you should do your own research.

But whatever you do, DON'T mine Bitcoin. It's too hard for individuals nowadays.
d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:22:58 AM

Mine alt coins then hold them til the price is just right and let it rain down on all the people who are frantic buying.

Cheapest rig would be a used butterfly lap unit or maybe some usb sticks

nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:21:22 AM

Buy yourself 5 Bitmain Antminer S2 units. That will get you to your 5Th/s mark. They have the lowest power consumption needs (approx 1.1 watts/Gh/s) and they're basically plug and play. Each unit currently costs 3.881 BTC from Bitmaintech.com. Total cost minus any shipping for 5 units would be around $11,300 USD
Strongly disagree here.  If electricity cost and capacity truly aren't an issue then what your going for is the lowest $/GH ratio as opposed to the lowest $/GH/Kw ratio.  If you have massive capacity, and your juice is free...definitely go with the Antminer S1's.  Far better $/GH deal than the S2's.

*But do agree with several other fellas in here recommending staying away from mining.  Hobby-based mining won't be minting you any yachts anytime soon.  Even if you do dump 10-15K into mining hardware right now.  And the situation is likely to only continue to get worse difficulty wise for the foreseeable future.

Best of luck to you.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:27:27 AM

GPUs are good for x11 or scrypt [not for long].

yolo
Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 03:34:48 AM

GPUs are good for x11 or scrypt [not for long].
I said no Scrypt! Please!

As high in value as Litecoin may be as the silver to Bitcoin's gold, there is now a growing need to but hashes from companies loaded down with ASICs of any kind, which are somewhat hard to find in related to Scrypt mining.

Truly, new algorithms will become the thing that will help the community, as ASICs become harder and harder to develope for said algroithms.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:32:29 AM

its hard to say what is profitable for mining today, it seams to me that better option is to simply buy bitcoins.
difficulty is increasing daily and the whole mining scene is over-saturated, thus , profits from it are marginal, or negative.
FlyForFun

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:47:45 AM

Hello! so me and my 2 brothers and a friend are going to put our computers together and but tons of bitcoin mining Equipment!
now, we're kinda new to this and we're not really sure what to buy :/
we're aimming to go 5TH/S +++       Power cost is not a problem. belive it or not but we do have our own build power station haha. but anyway, please give us tips on what to buy!!

Well, buying mining equipment isn't profitable these days but if you insist, you should pre-order the 8TH/s machine.

joshraban76

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:54:28 AM

Well, ASICs are far more profitable now than GPU mining, I prefer you google around for some solid ASICs and invest in them for the long run.

Don't go with GPU mining as you will be the only loser.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
CounterStrike

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 12:44:08 PM

Well, ASICs are far more profitable now than GPU mining, I prefer you google around for some solid ASICs and invest in them for the long run.

Not if you know what you are doing.
Simon8x

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:45:10 PM

GPU-mining bitcoin is a complete waste of time.
GPU-mining altcoins may be a completely different story. Wink

joshraban76

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:48:06 PM

Tell me how is GPU mining profitable from your own point of view.

ChekaZ
Legendary

Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 06:08:55 PM

I think he wants to point out that if you mine x13, x11 or something similar with GPU and convert them into BTC, you can still make tons of profit.

BTC: 1Ges1taJ69W7eEMbQLcmNGnUZenBkCnn45
FTC: 6sxjM96KMZ7t4AmDTUKDZdq82Nj931VQvY
joshraban76

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 06:12:18 PM

I think he wants to point out that if you mine x13, x11 or something similar with GPU and convert them into BTC, you can still make tons of profit.

Well, this yes, could be right. But he didn't illustrate this bro.

Yakamoto
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:05:12 PM

Ok so this kid wants to buy all of this equipment because gems trying to get investors in on it, and then sell those hashes like a hashing company like cex.io does.

If you look in the service section, you can see it, if you look.

So it's not him "and his bro" necessarily, it's him, "his bro" and about a dozen investors that are building the mining rig. Now of course, there is absolutely no pretence of any technical knowledge, so I'm imagining this would turn out badly. But other than that, he has goals.

So, anyone else go other ideas, since he's looking to sell the hashes?
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:09:43 AM

This will probably not be profitable for long. It is claimed to not be possible but ASICs will almost be certainly be developed for x11 sometime in the future, similar to how ASICs have been developed for scrypt.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: