Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:01:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It's already 48%, No one care about Ghash?  (Read 5139 times)
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 06:44:37 AM

Why everybody talk about 51 %? 50.00001 % is not enough?

The term 51% is "hype" word, actually 40% would be enough to make serious trouble.
You mean 40% is enough to get past some confirmations with a decent success rate?
51% is like doomsday for bitcoin though.
And really all of these stated numbers should be 20% lower given that aprox 20% of the share is unknown.
If Ghash has 31% we should still be worried
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 08:29:04 AM

The term 51% is "hype" word, actually 40% would be enough to make serious trouble.
You mean 40% is enough to get past some confirmations with a decent success rate?
And really all of these stated numbers should be 20% lower given that aprox 20% of the share is unknown.

The lower 30s aren't that bad. It would still be better that it was lower, I agree, but it's not such a serious threat as 51%, or even 40%.
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 10:11:49 AM

I totally agree.

I remember that BTCguild took action when they got over 35%, they raised the pool share fee, and made sure miners would go to other pools, very responsible of them, I respect that very much.
I have absolutely no respect for GHash.IO, they should have add a fee long time ago.

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:16:30 AM

This is a flaw in bitcoin itself. CEX.IO today.........China, Russia, USA tomorrow.

This! It's protocol problem that should be blamed on protocol, not on ghash, and should be fiexd on protocol level. Ex lead dev said he has code in place to fix it if it evers becomes reality. Ok, maybe that code is not perfect, but still, can't they work on it, and than deploy it BEFORE it happens? What kind of protocol keepers are they if they will let it get hit before they act on it...tha'ts just not smart.

Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 10:18:16 AM

I totally agree.

I remember that BTCguild took action when they got over 35%, they raised the pool share fee, and made sure miners would go to other pools, very responsible of them, I respect that very much.
I have absolutely no respect for GHash.IO, they should have add a fee long time ago.

That's one of the main reasons people choose GHash.IO. That and merged mining of three more altcoins.
Eligius offers merged mining of NMC and also has 0% fees. People should switch there at least.

This is a flaw in bitcoin itself. CEX.IO today.........China, Russia, USA tomorrow.

This! It's protocol problem that should be blamed on protocol, not on ghash, and should be fiexd on protocol level. Ex lead dev said he has code in place to fix it if it evers becomes reality. Ok, maybe that code is not perfect, but still, can't they work on it, and than deploy it BEFORE it happens? What kind of protocol keepers are they if they will let it get hit before they act on it...tha'ts just not smart.

It's the code for a hard fork. We're better off not having to use it. But unfortunately, if a 51% attack happens, we'll have to hard fork the chain.
DubFX

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:19:56 AM

Stop the panic already...they have 30% currently.
Source: https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:22:50 AM

I totally agree.

That's one of the main reasons people choose GHash.IO. That and merged mining of three more altcoins.
Eligius offers merged mining of NMC and also has 0% fees. People should switch there at least.

It's the code for a hard fork. We're better off not having to use it. But unfortunately, if a 51% attack happens, we'll have to hard fork the chain.

So basicly, it's better to let shit happen, than to act on it before it happens? Shit that can kill or cripple BTC?
Wouldn't it be better to prepair everyone in advance? Make some dead line, update clients months ahead etc, and than execute hard fork?

I cant see how doing it that way could be wors than attack happening and than changing protocol in rush....what can go wrong with that i wonder...

TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 10:23:19 AM

Oh, they moved a share of their pool to Unkown... then must everything be ok now  Cheesy

Parazyd

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 10:24:07 AM

"Unknown" got bigger... But yeah, this looks great now. Much better than 50% Smiley
I wish more people move to smaller pools like Eligius or Slush.

I totally agree.

So basicly, it's better to let shit happen, than to act on it before it happens? Shit that can kill or cripple BTC?
Wouldn't it be better to prepair everyone in advance? Make some dead line, update clients months ahead etc, and than execute hard fork?

I cant see how doing it that way could be wors than attack happening and than changing protocol in rush....what can go wrong with that i wonder...

The devs have been working on this issue for a long time. It's not just a line of code in C.
The protocol is complicated and requires hard work. Gavin's (I think) code is just a last resort.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 10:06:51 PM

Oh, they moved a share of their pool to Unkown... then must everything be ok now  Cheesy
I'm not sure why miners don't watch that statistic and equally distribute among 3-4 pools?
This is bad news for Bitcoin, even though nothing bad might happen. I'd rather no risk it.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 10:25:41 PM

No, no one cares.
as above, if they  pull smth, they will be finished forever Smiley
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:12:42 PM

No it's not. Stop spreading this fear.

Doomsday would mean the attacker could do this things;

Reverse other people's transactions
Prevent transactions from being sent at all (they'll show as 0/unconfirmed)
Change the number of coins generated per block
Create coins out of thin air
Send coins that never belonged to him

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 11:30:37 PM

Bitcoin is an experiment in using "proof-of-work" to secure a public transaction ledger. You can not work around the 51% attack at the protocol level without killing the currency.

Bitcoin's innovation was to guard against malicious updates to the block-chain by requiring a "proof-of-work". This allows the validity of the block-chain to be verified in a trustless manner. The "proof-of-work" assumes two things:
  • That people are generally good. (Bitcoin also makes is so that cheating in-system is more expensive than being honest.)
  • That competition will ensure that no miner gets a substantial market-share. (If your business relies on bitcoin, it makes sense to invest in a full node or pay somebody to do so).

Pools having greater than 30% of the hash-power breaks the second assumption. 30% is the magic number because one of the pools may be run or coerced by a malicious person: we would not know until it is too late.

"Proof-of-work" is not something to be worked around. When you participate in the BItcoin network, you have to accept that it is a valid way to form consensus. There are no known alternatives that are still decentralized. Evidently, it is not known if "proof-of-work" can stay decentralized. However, if decentralization is not possible with "proof-of-work": that means that the experiment failed, and that Bitcoins are worth approximately $0.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 12:25:42 AM

With 40% or with 48% an attacker could still launch a double spend attack, just with less of a 100% success rate.

An attacker could technically reverse other people's transactions as they could start an attack prior to when a specific transaction was confirmed but the subject transaction was confirmed by the "orphaned" chain

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 12:27:39 AM

Looks like its stabilized around 1/3 of the network
Good news for the community
https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 12:30:01 AM

See that big brown chunk of 28% unknown hashrate?

Wanna bet what that is? Wink

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 12:30:39 AM

Even with infinite hash-power, you can not create coins out of thin air, change the number of coins generated per block (in the upward direction), or send coins that do not belong to them. Full nodes would reject those transactions and resulting blocks as invalid.

What the 51% attack does is let you reliably re-write history. You will occasionally be able to temporary reverse 1-3 blocks with only about 40% of the hash-power, but not reliably.

If that really is Ghash.io, that may actually be good news. During an attack, the attacker's hash-power will go "dark" as they work on a competing chain in secret. That is one problem with relying on those graphs: a well-funded attacker will never show up until they have an alternate chain thousands of blocks deep.

Edit: I don't think the pools are authenticated in any way for that graph. An attacker can probably pretend to be the 5 top pools.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
TookDk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 11:05:57 AM

What a funny coincident that Ghash jumped down from 40% to 30% and "unknown" jumped up from 15% to 25% at the same time...

Timmmaahh

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:33:41 AM

What a funny coincident that Ghash jumped down from 40% to 30% and "unknown" jumped up from 15% to 25% at the same time...

for example: top ip of unknow belongs to ghash.io Smiley)))

-> http://totalhash.com/network/ip:88.150.205.243

so much op =D

Crowdfund a students life: 1MxQX4MsF3N3oGpawfgM72K5vzEPeLjTyR
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: