Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:09:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GHash.IO hashrate  (Read 3645 times)
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 08:26:41 AM

Same thing is the observer effect with people who stand by when someone is in a crisis,   and same thing as people who don't vote.  People only think about their individual impact and aren't confident about the collective impact as a group - everyone feels they are an exception.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:21:01 PM

As their hashrate stays around 51%, some people are selling for fiat as a hedge. But I believe some may choose to buy other cryptos, also as a hedge,
so if it gets worse we may see BTC / USD down while other cryptos could go up (at least compared with BTC).
If the downtrend continues, then even if GHash won't exploit their 51% (or higher), they would have proved it's possible to manipulate the price down.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 04:30:52 PM

As their hashrate stays around 51%, some people are selling for fiat as a hedge. But I believe some may choose to buy other cryptos, also as a hedge,
so if it gets worse we may see BTC / USD down while other cryptos could go up (at least compared with BTC).
If the downtrend continues, then even if GHash won't exploit their 51% (or higher), they would have proved it's possible to manipulate the price down.

+1
I believe PoS coins will profit the most from this.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 05:36:51 PM

+1
I believe PoS coins will profit the most from this.

I've found in my experience that a vast amount of bitcoiners are completely against the idea of new cryptocurrency technology. I think a lot of the people buying altcoins are already in to altcoins. The amount of new altcoin tech hate you seen on places like reddit is astonishing.
keewee
Legendary

Activity: 1025

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:21:28 PM

I don't think the Blockchain.info chart is very accurate. I finally found this link to a better chart someone posted the last time this topic came up. I doubt GHash.io is anything to worry about yet: http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/chart.php

1keewee2vRp63UWvPBynT55ZYw6SUCKDB
Raystonn (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:38:30 PM

That averages the last 2 weeks.  You only need >50% for about 10 minutes to double spend.
Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:31:32 AM

That averages the last 2 weeks.  You only need >50% for about 10 minutes to double spend.

I dont know why the private miners are still into gigahash, they should have moved to other pool long ago, or do solomining.
Mythul

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:33:30 AM

I have to be honest, that was some scary moment for me  Huh.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:41:04 AM

If GHash.io just turned off or throttled down their equipment, that does not solve the problem, merely hides it.  The risk exists when an entity is capable of doing X% of the hash rate, not only when it does that.

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 06:41:30 AM

Who are the people controlling GHash.io?

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 07:20:35 AM

I know about Jeff and his relation to CEX.IO: https://twitter.com/jeff_smith01
Probably has something to do with GHash.IO as well.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:25:26 AM

I thought that he was just their PR person?

segeln

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 07:31:01 AM

If GHash.io just turned off or throttled down their equipment, that does not solve the problem, merely hides it.  The risk exists when an entity is capable of doing X% of the hash rate, not only when it does that.
+1
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 07:34:01 AM

I thought that he was just their PR person?

A whois request gives Alex Luts as the person who the domains are registered to.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:20:55 AM

Same thing is the observer effect with people who stand by when someone is in a crisis,   and same thing as people who don't vote.  People only think about their individual impact and aren't confident about the collective impact as a group - everyone feels they are an exception.
People who still vote are suckers. In the states it's the people who fund elections that have the real power, and in EU countries the only vote of any meaning is the vote to get out of EU. And we don't get to vote on that. Even in a hypothetical world where votes actually counted, we can't reverse the current decline in less than 50 years.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 09:37:30 AM

People who still vote are suckers. In the states it's the people who fund elections that have the real power, and in EU countries the only vote of any meaning is the vote to get out of EU. And we don't get to vote on that. Even in a hypothetical world where votes actually counted, we can't reverse the current decline in less than 50 years.

Democracy should replace voting with a Proof of Human Work inspired by Bitcoin Tongue and that work should be hard, like lifting weights in the gym.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 09:42:57 AM

Democracy should replace voting with a Proof of Human Work inspired by Bitcoin Tongue and that work should be hard, like lifting weights in the gym.

Doyouevenlift?coin

Proof of Workout

Start it up Tongue
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 09:44:05 AM

Local political party already did a vote with blockchain-based tech. Dunno details, but just the possibility of introducing actual democracy where votes can't be forged or "misplaced" is amazing.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 09:44:31 AM

chilling analogy
The ghash.io thing where people keep joining ghash faster it gets closer to 51% reminds me of the movie Untraceable where a serial killer ties up his victims and puts them on a Youtube feed with a system where the more people that are watching a video, the faster the victim dies,  and then millions of viewers exponentially pile in to watch, brutally killing the victim.

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 02:21:17 PM

The ghash.io thing where people keep joining ghash faster it gets closer to 51% reminds me of the movie Untraceable where a serial killer ties up his victims and puts them on a Youtube feed with a system where the more people that are watching a video, the faster the victim dies,  and then millions of viewers exponentially pile in to watch, brutally killing the victim.

Is it a good movie or it's just gore like saw??
There is some gore but it's not a just a gore movie - it is a movie about human psychology and how greedy people are, because everyone insists on watching the movie, which contributes to the victim dying.

it's a pretty good movie, i remember watching it with my ex.

but it's indeed a bit like the GHASH situation indeed, but in their defense, GHASH is still the best pool by far.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: