Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 03:13:46 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: US Marshalls auction SilkRoad bitcoins  (Read 5185 times)
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:45:24 PM

We bid $455 which at the time was 81% of market value.  Not accepted of course.  Rumor has it winning bid(s) was at spot or maybe even above spot.

There was *one* winner: https://twitter.com/paulvigna/status/484074892946837504

Details to come soon, apparently.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
pirsquared

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:48:23 PM

We bid $455 which at the time was 81% of market value.  Not accepted of course.  Rumor has it winning bid(s) was at spot or maybe even above spot.

All coins were moved in a single tx: https://blockchain.info/tx/9e95c3c3c96f57527cdc649550bf8e92892f7651f718d846033798aee333b0c3

If you HODL store it CODL!
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:48:53 PM

i'm guessing the winning bidder went over spot.. was probably around what it is right now at $650. a lot of people are paying attention to the whales to get a feel for the consensus of what they're willing to spend, and if it turns out to be $650, then bitcoin will jump to that price.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:10:31 AM

i'm guessing the winning bidder went over spot.. was probably around what it is right now at $650. a lot of people are paying attention to the whales to get a feel for the consensus of what they're willing to spend, and if it turns out to be $650, then bitcoin will jump to that price.
What makes you say this? I would say that the majority of bidders likely bid under the price as of when they submitted their bid. As of the time of the bid there was selling pressure on the market and any participant could have purchased coins at the market price

This spot for rent.
mkc

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:27:51 AM

Rumor said one person bid $900, is he the winner? I guess if he bid one lot at $900, all other @625, then the final price will be 625, am i right? We all expect some bullish move when the price released.
AltcoinAuthority

Activity: 616
Merit: 251

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 07:09:54 AM

Here's my take Smiley

YouTube Video

Speculation is starting to arise regarding the identity of the sole winner of the 30,000 bitcoin auction that was held by the US Marshals Service. The objective of this auction was to liquidate the bitcoins which were seized from the Silk Road back in October 2013. Who is this mysterious investor that outbid everyone else for $19 million worth of bitcoins?

The mere fact that one bidder, out of 42 others who put down a deposit of $200,000, won the entire auction has important ramifications on what’s to come. These bidders who have indicated a clear interest in buying bitcoin in large volumes will now be left to satisfy their demand on the open market. This could lead to a continuation of the uptrend that was started on Monday. However the question still remains: Who is this person that won all 30,000 bitcoins and what will they do with them next? According to the blockchain, the bitcoins have already been transferred and the deal is complete.

... Continue Reading:
http://altcoinauthority.com/2014/07/who-won-the-usms-silk-road-bitcoin-auction/

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 01:23:42 PM

Rumor said one person bid $900, is he the winner? I guess if he bid one lot at $900, all other @625, then the final price will be 625, am i right? We all expect some bullish move when the price released.

It seems very dangerous to bid @ 900; what you do is you bid @ the maximum you are interested or a bit higher

All coins were moved in a single tx: https://blockchain.info/tx/9e95c3c3c96f57527cdc649550bf8e92892f7651f718d846033798aee333b0c3

Reading the weird messages from the dust transactions to the address is entertaining Grin

It is good the FBI coins are not sold on the market because it seems to find new buyers and to support the price, maybe it will even be the same if the 100,000+ bitcoins that the FBI still have are auctioned off

TEDmachine

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:01:37 PM

Is this going to fuck up the market?
spainful

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:25:46 PM

This represents a little over 1% of all bitcoins. I would say yes it will
TEDmachine

Activity: 25

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:26:46 PM

So buy when it hits the lowest point then?
spainful

Activity: 27

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:32:01 PM

So buy when it hits the lowest point then?

Always a good plan
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:35:10 PM

Reading the weird messages from the dust transactions to the address is entertaining Grin
That's another great advantage of bitcoin over the obsolete payment systems.  You would never get such fun as spam, hate mail, and mockery on you bank account statement.  Anonymous messages that you cannot erase and everybody can read.  Way to go, bitcoin.  Tongue

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
TopherB

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:03:05 PM

That's another great advantage of bitcoin over the obsolete payment systems.  You would never get such fun as spam, hate mail, and mockery on you bank account statement.  Anonymous messages that you cannot erase and everybody can read.  Way to go, bitcoin.  Tongue
As a teen I occasionally amused myself by writing cryptic, humorous or prankish notes on paper currency.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:11:00 PM

No you would pay the amount that you bid as long as it is the highest.

You are thinking about how ebay's auctions work in that if the next highest bid is $600, then you would only pay one increment above that bid.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Intaryna

Activity: 342

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:28:36 PM

This probably will double the number of bitcoins in circulation on the other hand
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 09:09:07 PM

This probably will double the number of bitcoins in circulation on the other hand
It would not double the number of bitcoins in circulation, but in theory will make the bitcoins in circulation more diverse as Draper is going to try to get people to use bitcoin who do not currently have access to bitcoin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 10:58:18 PM

protip: just because something is visible at blockchain.info, that something is not necessarily embedded in The Blockchain.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 11:17:44 PM

protip: just because something is visible at blockchain.info, that something is not necessarily embedded in The Blockchain.
Thanks for the correction.  Does blockchain.info provide a way to protect people from such unwanted associations?

Academic interest in bitcoin only. Not owner, not trader, very skeptical of its longterm success.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:25:23 AM

Even if it is not embedded in the blockchain, blockchain.info is large enough so that the public notes work well enough for this purpose.

This spot for rent.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:30:26 AM

But it *is* possible to embed messages in the blockchain, isn't it? Only it is strongly discouraged, I gather?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: