Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:25:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitting your miner hashing into multiple shares  (Read 1174 times)
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 02:26:33 PM
Last edit: June 13, 2014, 02:38:04 PM by jonnybravo0311

Hey Everyone,

This is more a question of curiosity on my part than anything else.  If this isn't the proper place for it, I apologize.

I see a bunch of threads in the group buys to the effect of "Selling X shares of Y hardware for Z price."

How does one accomplish this splitting?  I know, for example, that you can use quotas in cgminer, and can setup the config file like this:

Code:
"pools" : [
        {
                "url" : "poola:porta",
                "user" : "usernamea",
                "pass" : "passa"
        },
        {
                "quota" : "2;poolb:portb",
                "user" : "usernameb",
                "pass" : "passb"
        }
]

Assume, for example, I'd like to split an Antminer S2 into 10 shares of 100GH/s each.  The web UI only allows one to setup 3 pools; however, I'm sure I could hack the config files directly to do something like the above - or maybe not, I haven't tried this out.

Or, do people doing these kinds of selling simply just keep a record of who's signed up and have a script running daily that makes payments from a wallet to those who have signed up?  This approach would be more difficult/risky to implement I would think.  Possible, sure... since that's likely how the larger pools make payouts to miners.

Anyway, like I wrote, this is just out of curiosity to see how people manage this sort of thing.

Thanks for any input.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cosmicapex

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 09:33:18 PM

ghash.io has a setting to accomplish splitting your payout to multiple parties on a percentage basis.

I don't know why other pools don't offer this, seems like a no-brainer.
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 09:41:36 PM

ghash.io has a setting to accomplish splitting your payout to multiple parties on a percentage basis.

I don't know why other pools don't offer this, seems like a no-brainer.
Yeah, I know GHash has it.  I'm trying to see if I can do something similar locally on my miners without having to rely on them.  I thought using the quota functionality in cgminer might accomplish it, but wondering if there's another way to get it done.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Und3rd0g

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:47:38 AM

Hey Everyone,

This is more a question of curiosity on my part than anything else.  If this isn't the proper place for it, I apologize.

I see a bunch of threads in the group buys to the effect of "Selling X shares of Y hardware for Z price."

How does one accomplish this splitting?  I know, for example, that you can use quotas in cgminer, and can setup the config file like this:

Code:
        {
                "url" : "poola:porta",
                "pass" : "passa"
        },
        {
                "quota" : "2;poolb:portb",
                "pass" : "passb"
        }
]

Assume, for example, I'd like to split an Antminer S2 into 10 shares of 100GH/s each.  The web UI only allows one to setup 3 pools; however, I'm sure I could hack the config files directly to do something like the above - or maybe not, I haven't tried this out.

Or, do people doing these kinds of selling simply just keep a record of who's signed up and have a script running daily that makes payments from a wallet to those who have signed up?  This approach would be more difficult/risky to implement I would think.  Possible, sure... since that's likely how the larger pools make payouts to miners.

Anyway, like I wrote, this is just out of curiosity to see how people manage this sort of thing.

Thanks for any input.

I found that if you do this with cgminer it gets flakey if you create more than a 3 pool split.  I would be very interested if you find a solution.  Excellent question!
BTC_Toronto

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 05:02:15 AM

See this post re adding more than 3 pools to the S1. I guess that doing this for the S2 should be similar.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623672.msg6915286#msg6915286

BTC TO
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2014, 06:45:54 PM

See this post re adding more than 3 pools to the S1. I guess that doing this for the S2 should be similar.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623672.msg6915286#msg6915286

BTC TO

Thanks for the link BTC TO.  At least that confirms my original thought that I could hack the interface itself to configure more than the 3 pools.  What I'd really like to have is the feature offered by GHash.io: payouts to multiple addresses that I choose with a percentage.  Using my example above of splitting the S2 into 10 shares, I'd like to be able to do something to the effect of, "Mine 1/10th of the time to this address, 1/10th of the time to this address, etc."

It's not as elegant as how GHash.io does it for sure, since it's actually splitting the hashing into multiple parts, rather than dedicating all of the hashing to a single location and just splitting the rewards.  I also struggle to figure out how I would have "backup" pools setup if I use the quota system.  Again, using my example above, let's say that each of the 10 "shares" I've split the S2 into points to pool A.  Pool A goes down.  How can those "shares" failover to pool B?

In other words, what I'd really like is the ability to have a "group" parameter, and then setup failover by grouping.  So:

Code:
        {
                "quota" : ".1;pool1:port1",
                "pass" : "passa",
                "group"" : "1"
        },
        {
                "pass" : "passb",
        },
        {
                "user" : "usernamec",
                "pass" : "passc",
        },
        {
                "quota" : ".1;pool2:port2",
                "group" : "2"
        }
]
Then on the command line I could start cgminer like:
Code:
./cgminer --failover-strategy group
Maybe I should have started this in the mining software thread... @ckolivas, have you had any requests for an enhancement to cgminer like I've suggested?  What kind of effort would something like that take to implement?

BTC_Toronto

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 07:09:18 AM

@jonnybravo0311

I am not sure if I am following correctly, but wouldn't Balance or Load Balance strategies in cgminer/bfgminer allow you to do this? Most of the pools allow you to use the pay address as username. So if you setup your S2 to user Load Balance strategy, then create a bunch of different pools in it with the same quotas and then get all of them to mine to the same URL but with different usernames, you will have a fairly even distribution of payouts between the different addresses. e.g.

Code:
        {
                "quota" : "1;pool1:port1",
                "user" : "1PayAddress1",
        },
        {
                "user" : "1PayAddress2",
                "pass" : "passb",
        },
        {
                "user" : "1PayAddress3",
                "pass" : "passc",
        },
        {
                "user" : "1PayAddress4",
        }
}

FM
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 01:36:49 PM

Hey BTC TO,

Maybe if I explained it not using the context of a configuration file it would help.

What I want:

To split a miner's hashing power into shares.  I used the S2 only as an example.  It could be the dragon, the SP10, whatever.  The Dragon is a 1T miner.  I want to split that into 10 x 100GH/s shares.

What I want to setup:

Successfully have fallback pools in case a primary goes down.  Now that I've got my 10 shares of 100GH/s, I'd like to be able to set each up to have the ability to mine to their own pool choice, with their own settings.  For example, share 1 would mine to Eligius.  Share 2 would mine on BTCGuild, etc.  However, I want the ability to also specify N number of backups.  So, share 1 has Eligius setup as the primary, Slush as a secondary and BTCGuild as the tertiary.  Share 2 has BTCGuild as the primary, mmpool as the secondary and GHash as the tertiary... Share N has...

I'm just wondering if there is a way to do so.  Or is everyone who is selling their shares just using GHash and that's it?  That's probably the case, but it would be nice to have other options.  Like cosmicapex wrote in the first reply on this thread, it seems like a no-brainer for other pools to offer this as well.  What I'm trying to see is if there is a way to manipulate the configuration files of cgminer/bfgminer to somehow accomplish this same type of functionality without needing to rely upon the pools to provide it.

sconklin321

Activity: 543
Merit: 250

Orjinal üyelik ToRiKaN banlanalı asır ol

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 02:15:38 AM

Hey BTC TO,

Maybe if I explained it not using the context of a configuration file it would help.

What I want:

To split a miner's hashing power into shares.  I used the S2 only as an example.  It could be the dragon, the SP10, whatever.  The Dragon is a 1T miner.  I want to split that into 10 x 100GH/s shares.

What I want to setup:

Successfully have fallback pools in case a primary goes down.  Now that I've got my 10 shares of 100GH/s, I'd like to be able to set each up to have the ability to mine to their own pool choice, with their own settings.  For example, share 1 would mine to Eligius.  Share 2 would mine on BTCGuild, etc.  However, I want the ability to also specify N number of backups.  So, share 1 has Eligius setup as the primary, Slush as a secondary and BTCGuild as the tertiary.  Share 2 has BTCGuild as the primary, mmpool as the secondary and GHash as the tertiary... Share N has...

I'm just wondering if there is a way to do so.  Or is everyone who is selling their shares just using GHash and that's it?  That's probably the case, but it would be nice to have other options.  Like cosmicapex wrote in the first reply on this thread, it seems like a no-brainer for other pools to offer this as well.  What I'm trying to see is if there is a way to manipulate the configuration files of cgminer/bfgminer to somehow accomplish this same type of functionality without needing to rely upon the pools to provide it.

If you use a pool that doesn't use a generation transaction, you can use a cex.io wallet and setup a split.  I'm currently in a gridseed group buy that does this.  24 hrs after the coin is distributed to the wallet, cex.io automatically sends the money based on the % setup there.

- Orjinal Üyelik Eski Banlanmış ToRiKaN -

https://youtube.com/c/KriptoParatoner

www twitter.com/torikan
Und3rd0g

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 03:00:31 AM

If you use a pool that doesn't use a generation transaction, you can use a cex.io wallet and setup a split.  I'm currently in a gridseed group buy that does this.  24 hrs after the coin is distributed to the wallet, cex.io automatically sends the money based on the % setup there.

This is perfect!  Excellent tip!  Thank you.
jonnybravo0311 (OP)
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 02:01:36 PM

Interesting approach.  You're limited to pools that payout in non-generated transactions, but it offers up an alternative.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: