Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:56:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitStamp and Mt. Gox, what do they have in common?  (Read 657 times)
Maenon (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:24:07 PM

I'm kind of behind with the latest bitnews, but anyway:

"In February 2014, the company suspended withdrawals for several days in the face of a distributed denial-of-service.[4] Bitcoin Magazine reported that people behind the attack sent a ransom demand of 75 bitcoins to Kodrič, who refused due to a company policy against negotiating with “terrorrists”.[5] Days after restoring service, Bitstamp temporarily suspended withdrawals for some users as a security precaution due to increased phishing attempts.[6]"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitstamp)

"In February 2014, the Mt. Gox company suspended trading, closed its website and exchange service, and filed for a form of bankruptcy protection from creditors called minji saisei, or civil rehabilitation, to allow courts to seek a buyer.[2][3] In April 2014, the company began liquidation proceedings.[4] It announced that around 850,000 bitcoins belonging to customers and the company were missing and likely stolen, an amount valued at more than $450 million at the time.[5][6] Although 200,000 bitcoins have since been "found", the reason(s) for the disappearance—theft, fraud, mismanagement, or a combination of these—are unclear as of March 2014.[7] There has been some speculation of hackers being responsible for the missing Bitcoins, but no case has been proven."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Gox)

TL;DR
In February 2014 two of the biggest Bitcoin Markets likely underwent a hacker attack. Is that a coincidence? Could it be that the same hacker group went after both of them, with different results?
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:26:55 PM

So far from what we have seen, they have far more not in common.   Bitstamp has done pretty well about being transparent about their business.   With Gox, everything was (and continues to be) a mystery.
Maenon (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 10:31:44 PM

Maybe the title is misleading, I'm not implying they have in common a possible mischievous conduct, I just think on February 2014 something may have happened - and I was wondering if that something happened to both those markets.
theecoinomist

Activity: 200
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:02:31 PM

It's no secret most exchanges were under Ddos attacks in February.. (Gox, Stamp & Btc-e)
I doubt it had any effect on any of them, Mark Karpeles likely lost Gox's funds a long time ago..

ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 03:14:05 AM

When GOX announced they were having issues with TX mailability all of the exchanges suspended withdrawals so they could test their systems.

All of the exchanges essentially determined that this would not be an issue. GOX failed a few weeks later. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: