Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:30:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $50k to Invest - Convince Me!  (Read 9071 times)
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:13:14 AM

If you can afford to lose the $50k, I say go for it.  But that's the caveat.  Bitcoin is a high risk, high return investment.  It's gone up exponentially so far.  And it could continue to do so. 

Or the governments decide they don't like it and collectively ban all the exchanges, which would effectively kill the market value.  Or the banks / credit card companies could decide they don't like bitcoin and build up enough mining rigs to execute a 51% attack and destroy bitcoin.  Right now, I think Bitcoin has been around long enough that if some huge technical flaw was going to be discovered that would sink it, it would have been discovered already. 

The real risk is not the technology, but the possibility that the bankers and government, who both benefit from the current system and would lose a significant amount of power under a world where Bitcoin is in control rather than fiat decide to take down Bitcoin.  Then again, the other risk is that most of the major gains have already happened.  Yes, it's possible that bitcoin will take over the financial world, and if that happens, the value that exists today will continue to skyrocket.  But it's also possible that the people who haven't invested yet will look at all the hacks and thefts and decide it's too risky, and stay far away from Bitcoin.  I can't say I'd blame them if they did.

If you do decide to invest the $50k in bitcoin, whatever you do, ignore the people telling you to loan your bitcoins out on bitfinex, and any other related sites like that.  Learn from those of us who lost money on Coinlenders, trying to lend out bitcoins or put your bitcoins in a site that lends them out is a sucker's bet.  If you really, really, want to do that, you may as well just go and take at least half that $50k and burn it to save yourself the trouble of waiting.  Then invest the rest and you'll be better off than if you had invested all of it in one of those sites.  (Yes, CL investors lost money due to a hack / theft.  But it could have easily happened because of a "bank run" due to the run up in price.  There's no such thing as FDIC insurance for bitcoins.)

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 09:13:27 AM

if we have to convince you, dont do it please. buy a nice car or make holidays.

Corelianer

Activity: 309
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 01:37:57 PM

You should not be selfish, but give neutral advice.

Is Bitcoin a buy? Yes
Is Bitcoin a buy right now? Nobody knows, so buy over a long period, several times to average the price.

And buying a car or making holidays is not an investment, it's an expense.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 11:56:49 AM

buying at a dip is allways a nice idea.
my advice is to definetly buy bitcoin, but dont spend all 50k at once, start with 10k and get use to trading.

if bitcoin price dips to 500$ next few days, i would definetly buy, and same thing goes to litecoin under 9$
cheers
Stars

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:39:07 PM

I would say invest what ever you can afford to lose, though honestly if you're having to be convinced to invest that means that you're totally not sold on the idea of investing $50k. Regardless, if you do invest $50k be aware that anything can happen. It is bitcoin after all.

redwhite037

Activity: 560
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 10:31:13 PM

Technology is advancing all around us, so it makes sense that currency should evolve too. Do you remember rotary telephones? Well, some day, we'll be saying, "Do you remember when we were kids, and we used paper money?" and "Do you remember when bank transfers took several days, or even weeks at times?"

Evolve, man. Just evolve with the times.
Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 11:27:12 PM

If i had that money now i would buy all 50k on Bitcoin, i think is cheap right now. Then i would invest a 10% in altcoins (DARK, LTC, DOGES

and another one of your choise), hold a 70% as possible because price will rise soon after the incoming June's end goverment auction, and

the 20% remaining i would bet it intelligently in this World Cup 2014. Believe me you can easily have twice 50k by the end of this year.
boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:11:59 AM

If i had that money now i would buy all 50k on Bitcoin, i think is cheap right now. Then i would invest a 10% in altcoins (DARK, LTC, DOGES

and another one of your choise), hold a 70% as possible because price will rise soon after the incoming June's end goverment auction, and

the 20% remaining i would bet it intelligently in this World Cup 2014. Believe me you can easily have twice 50k by the end of this year.

Why not bet 50k on lottery then? The potential payout is even larger than what you have suggested here.
pandacoin
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:14:04 AM

Nobody try to convince you, if you know enough about Bitcoin you already invested with your everything. Wink
hromobiti

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 08:27:19 AM

I would say storing wealth in Bitcoin is more likely scenario than thinking you will get rich with the 50k investment.

But never loan the Bitcoins actually, many learned it hard way. I mean keep private keys, or you have just some promise to pay back, not Bitcoins
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2014, 10:06:23 AM

Is Bitcoin a buy? Yes
Is Bitcoin a buy right now? Nobody knows, so buy over a long period, several times to average the price.

he has to convince himself, otherwise it has no value and he doesnt understand bitcoin. dont listen to other people if you want to make an investment.

moreia

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 10:11:17 AM

Take a look at the charts, see the trends. I firmly believe in a years time bitcoin will be at the minimum of $1,250. Your best bet is to get in now as still 70%~ do not know about bitcoin!
MilesJohan

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 01:40:50 PM

Don't do anything to your 50k until you know what you are doing, in the mean time put them in CDs.

MileyJohanson
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 04:14:07 PM

It is a horrible idea to gamble money that you intend to invest. When you gamble you will either earn somewhat of a return or will lose everything for that bet. When you invest you have the possibility of earning a wide range of both positive and negative returns. It would be possible to lose your entire investment when you invest, however the chances of this are relatively low
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 04:21:27 PM

I'm already convinced, over half of all investment funds should be put into Bitcoin right away, before the next big Rally.  Smiley

JessyMatt (OP)

Activity: 191

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 11:54:48 PM

I don't buy garbage that only depreciates.

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 01:57:22 AM

"If you don’t believe me or don’t get it, I don’t have time to try to convince you, sorry." - Satoshi Nakamoto, July 29, 2010
Skele

Activity: 224

VocalPlatform.com

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 03:49:41 AM

It is a horrible idea to gamble money that you intend to invest. When you gamble you will either earn somewhat of a return or will lose everything for that bet. When you invest you have the possibility of earning a wide range of both positive and negative returns. It would be possible to lose your entire investment when you invest, however the chances of this are relatively low

Maybe yes, that's why i said intelligently: study matches, players, news, everything you can, ask for opinions; do not gamble, point with

finger or play just for crazy playing, invest. Of course it is a high risk investment, but in this life "if you don't risk you don't get rich"  Wink

Why not bet 50k on lottery then? The potential payout is even larger than what you have suggested here.

Watch the of ShakyhandsBTCer please...

That's why only the 20%, in fact only 10% should be good...
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 04:05:35 AM

Is Bitcoin a buy? Yes

he has to convince himself, otherwise it has no value and he doesnt understand bitcoin. dont listen to other people if you want to make an investment.
the OP should be attempting to learn more about Bitcoin and how it works rather then try to get people to convince him to invest. 

This spot for rent.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:47:31 AM

I have just allocated some serious money and thinking about investing about $50k on bitcoin. Someone convince me why I should buy $50k worth of bitcoins right now!

This is the bull case: http://www.honestnode.com/bitcoin-fair-value-a-first-assessment/

Make your own judgments about how reasonable the assumptions are.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: