Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:01:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where/How to Sell My Rig?  (Read 3592 times)
jtphenom (OP)

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 02:34:42 AM

Hi folks,

Looking to sell my GPU rig, as a whole or in pieces. Selling it for what I feel is a pretty decent price, I think. I was wondering if there is a sub-forum on here set up for that, and which one? If not, can I get recommendations on the best place to sell my stuff, as well as how people normally go about setting up a trusted 3rd party for the sale? I've never done anything like this before, so please forgive the newb-ish questions.

Will sell individual parts for the right price, too, as I know that there probably aren't many people looking to buy GPU mining stuff now. PM me for more info.

Thanks!
J
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:02:20 AM

There is a marketplace on here to sell hardware.  Make sure to take pictures as  without them you will get no interest.  Becuse of decreased earnings of GPU mining they are bringing far less then they were months ago. On here people will most likely want escrow used.  

Also ebay is a choice remember paypal, and ebay fees.  But much larger customer base.

There is a chance it will need to be parted out to get maximum profit.  I personally parted out my GPU machines.  Also allowed me to keep some high quality PSU's for a rainy day.
jtphenom (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:12:46 AM

Thanks, notlist3d!

OK if this post right here violates any rules, my bad. But what do you think is a reasonable price to ask for a rig (or its parts) in perfect condition that was used for about 4 months off and on and has the following components?

3 x ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

1 x LEPA G1200-MA 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply

1 x ASRock MB-970EX4 Socket AM3+/ AMD 970/ AMD Quad CrossFireX& nVidia SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

1 x AMD Sempron 145 Processor (SDX145HBGMBOX)

Also, sorry, but what is escrow?
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:02:57 AM

Thanks, notlist3d!

OK if this post right here violates any rules, my bad. But what do you think is a reasonable price to ask for a rig (or its parts) in perfect condition that was used for about 4 months off and on and has the following components?

3 x ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280X 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

1 x LEPA G1200-MA 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Power Supply

1 x ASRock MB-970EX4 Socket AM3+/ AMD 970/ AMD Quad CrossFireX& nVidia SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

1 x AMD Sempron 145 Processor (SDX145HBGMBOX)

Also, sorry, but what is escrow?

I could throw out some numbers but you might be insulted.  A good starting point is to just look at Ebay or craigslist to see what folks are asking.  People on these forums are looking for a good deal.. of course.  Just look in the hardware goods forum on these bitcointalk.org forums and you'll also see what the marketplace is like.  Escrow is just where someone holds your funds until the buyer is satisfied.  So, if you had a buyer on these forums then that buyer would send funds to an agreed upon 3rd party (also a member from these forums) escrow and then when the buyer received/tested the goods he would release the escrow and you get paid.  So there's always tradeoffs: ebay = selling fees and forums = escrow and delays in payment.  I've gotten really good deals in these forums.  Just comes down to what you're looking for.  If you're trying to recoup money on your rig then these forums may not be optimal and a local sale may even be better.  Just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
jtphenom (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:40:55 PM

Thanks again! I would like to hear your numbers, if you don't mind. You won't insult me. Just curious. For the rig and pieced out.  Smiley
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:46:56 PM

Thanks again! I would like to hear your numbers, if you don't mind. You won't insult me. Just curious. For the rig and pieced out.  Smiley

I sold a rig with an asrock 970, sempron 145, CX750M, and 4 XFX 7850's for $430 on eBay.
jtphenom (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:05:00 AM

I sold a rig with an asrock 970, sempron 145, CX750M, and 4 XFX 7850's for $430 on eBay.
Wow that stinks. Sad

I'd probably get more selling it by piece, right? At least a little more?

What do you think about selling on Craigslist?
KaChingCoinDev

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:20:07 AM

Wow that stinks. Sad

Yea it stunk. Paid almost a $1000 a few months earlier. And bought 4 of them too  Roll Eyes.

Potentially I sold one of my 4 rigs a part. You get a little more but lose it on shipping. It would probably still be more though, but little.

I did not try Craigslist, I do not know.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 07:24:15 AM

Wow that stinks. Sad

It really depends personally my GPU rigs i made more parting.  If you get lucky and find a buyer for whole package you might make more if they offer fair price, but most that want whole package will want a pretty good deal...

Personally I parted all GPU's. They are easiest to sell.  Some things you might think about keeping.  For example I kept my power supplies.  Each were still great power supplies I can use for future mining if needed. 

Sadly GPU will bring no where near what they did month's ago.  But I looked at it longer I waited less I get.  Pure scrypt is a asic game now.
Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 08:10:26 AM

Isn't it a good thing to try the nicehash multialgo pool while you're looking for a buyer? From people with GPU's I've heard that that's still profitable, though not that much anymore.
GaryL

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 11:56:10 PM

You can sell directly here
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 01:28:35 AM

Isn't it a good thing to try the nicehash multialgo pool while you're looking for a buyer? From people with GPU's I've heard that that's still profitable, though not that much anymore.

Varies for everyone.  Depends on electricity and how much cooling needed.  Add those to together and compare to what your making.
jtphenom (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:58:12 PM

So I posted on Craigslist last night and got a reply already this morning, initially from a text that requested I contact him at his email address, which I did, and then in my email.

Here is the text of the email. Something seems fishy to me about this. Is there a way you can get scammed even if a payment clears to your paypal account?? Thoughts on this, please??

"Thanks I'm just asking about it to make sure its in good condition as im buying it for my brother's son as a birthday surprise gift and he doesn't know about it, so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will come for it. Im okay with the price and condition , I can only pay you via one of the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal).. Do you have a PayPal account? Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment through PayPal. my shipper will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment clears into your account .

Henry Benson,

US Vet Corp Resources

The Lowcountry Warrior Connection

www.lowcountrywarriorconnection.org"
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 11:01:50 PM

So I posted on Craigslist last night and got a reply already this morning, initially from a text that requested I contact him at his email address, which I did, and then in my email.

Here is the text of the email. Something seems fishy to me about this. Is there a way you can get scammed even if a payment clears to your paypal account?? Thoughts on this, please??

"Thanks I'm just asking about it to make sure its in good condition as im buying it for my brother's son as a birthday surprise gift and he doesn't know about it, so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? also no shipment involved as i have a mover that will come for it. Im okay with the price and condition , I can only pay you via one of the fastest and secure way to pay online (PayPal).. Do you have a PayPal account? Let me know asap so i can arrange the payment through PayPal. my shipper will be coming to pick it up as soon as the payment clears into your account .

Henry Benson,

US Vet Corp Resources

Pretty confident that's a scam. I've heard of similar scams before, where someone says they are deployed in X country and are buying X item for X person, eventually in the end you get screwed though.

I'd stick to selling locally face to face, and accepting cash and bitcoin only.
jtphenom (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:04:32 AM

Henry Benson,

US Vet Corp Resources

Pretty confident that's a scam. I've heard of similar scams before, where someone says they are deployed in X country and are buying X item for X person, eventually in the end you get screwed though.

I'd stick to selling locally face to face, and accepting cash and bitcoin only.

His latest reply:

"I work with the military as a SDI 8T000 and am stationed in Lackland Air Force Base AFB LAFB San Antonio,I'm in military camp and there's no way i can pay you in cash or wire money to you. As i said I have fund in my PayPal account as my bank account is attached to it hence the reason i opted to pay you through PayPal. I'm honest with you and i want you to be honest with me. PayPal is secure and easy to use, if you dont have paypal account is easy to setup, just log on to www.paypal.com, i will need only email attached to your paypal account to facilitate payment to your account. Kindly setup an account with PayPal to proceed.I can only feel secured sending my funds via paypal due to there various security measures at ensuring safe and secured transaction between buyer/seller. Make sure you get back to me with your PayPal email as soon as possible. Looking forward to do business with you."

I'm going to go with my gut and not proceed. Thanks for your help.

I'm curious, though (cause I'm in IT).. how can someone scam you by sending funds to your paypal account?
mazuma

Activity: 311

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 07:19:14 AM

usually what happens is, he will send you funds, you send him the product, then he will claim refund from paypal claiming item does not work . usually the seller always gets screwed. fuck paypal
jtphenom (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:40:11 PM

Sounds awful! But wouldn't escrow allow for the same scam?
jtphenom (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:31:45 PM

How does escrow protect against the kind of scams that craigslist allows for. Also, how am I supposed to know if something is a scam on craigslist??

I got another email today about my rig.

"Hello,
Thanks you for the response, I'm  okay with condition  on the
Craigslist...I am ready to make instant purchase. My mode of payment
would be in Certified Check  and i will arrange for a local pick up as
soon as you get the payment, . I really wish to be there to check out
the item but due to my work frame i can not be able to get there , am
very busy woman (Nurse) and i don't mind adding an extra $50 dollars
for you to take the advert down from Craigslist, so that i can be rest
assured that am in hand of  it. More so  my husband  will process your
 payment    as soon as you provide your information ,and i promise
everything  will go smoothly,  Concerning the pick up, i will arrange
for it after you  receive the payment  and it clears... Please get
back to me with below info  so that i can proceed with the payment
immediately if you are selling to me.

Name: Name to be written on check
 Physical Address: Not P.O.BOX...
 City: State:
 Postal Code:
Phone Number that i can send text
How much is the amount of the item:

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be process  tomorrow
 and i will let you know when its mailed out. Thanks and i hope we
handle this in good faith.Additional $50 will be added for  remove the
item from the list.I will happy if you can sell the item for me.
although this is first time in Craigslist, So please be honest with
me, thanks for understanding, looking forward to hear back from you
..God Bless you

Regards.."

How should I know if this is a scam or not??
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 09:00:23 PM

How does escrow protect against the kind of scams that craigslist allows for. Also, how am I supposed to know if something is a scam on craigslist??

I got another email today about my rig.

"Hello,
Thanks you for the response, I'm  okay with condition  on the
Craigslist...I am ready to make instant purchase. My mode of payment
would be in Certified Check  and i will arrange for a local pick up as
soon as you get the payment, . I really wish to be there to check out
the item but due to my work frame i can not be able to get there , am
very busy woman (Nurse) and i don't mind adding an extra $50 dollars
for you to take the advert down from Craigslist, so that i can be rest
assured that am in hand of  it. More so  my husband  will process your
 payment    as soon as you provide your information ,and i promise
everything  will go smoothly,  Concerning the pick up, i will arrange
for it after you  receive the payment  and it clears... Please get
back to me with below info  so that i can proceed with the payment
immediately if you are selling to me.

Name: Name to be written on check
 Physical Address: Not P.O.BOX...
 City: State:
 Postal Code:
Phone Number that i can send text
How much is the amount of the item:

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be process  tomorrow
 and i will let you know when its mailed out. Thanks and i hope we
handle this in good faith.Additional $50 will be added for  remove the
item from the list.I will happy if you can sell the item for me.
although this is first time in Craigslist, So please be honest with
me, thanks for understanding, looking forward to hear back from you
..God Bless you

Regards.."

How should I know if this is a scam or not??
Scam again.

Here's a safe rule of thumb: Only accept cash or cryptocurrencies for your products on Craigslist. Those are the two ways you can be certain you won't get scammed face to face, unless they're using fake money. I haven't come across fake money though in my local purchasings and sellings so far though, but don't accept checks or PayPal or whatever - those can be used to easily scam you.

This guy here might write a check, but then he'll cancel it... I had a friend screwed out of almost $2k selling a brand new computer he built because he accepted a "certified check" - turns out it was just a fake check.
jtphenom (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 08:24:24 PM

OK which thread do I list this rig in?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: