Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:49:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Mining Pool Ghash.io DDos-ed in Response to threat of 51% attack?  (Read 802 times)
TopherB (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 03:45:37 PM

I'm not sure what I think about this. That is very unusual for me.

http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/news/bitcoin-mining-pool-ghash-io-ddos-ed-response-51-attack/2014/06/15

I need a discussion.
ThePhwner

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

something something Bitcoin

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:13:24 PM

Thanks for posting this. I hope it is a wake up call. I moved away from mining at Ghash a while back, and I've ceased trading there too. I guess I still hang around waiting for the fireworks. Yesterday was bad over there. And today the price of their GHS is higher than its been in months and folks are behaving as if nothing at all happened.

If things are bad enough that Peter is going to sell, people need to wake up and start protecting our currency. Stop smoking that quick block Crypto Crack.

Hand-carved Bitcoin stamps for sale: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1247131
2 for $25 including shipping
MunkeySpaz

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:31:51 PM

Ghash is a weird...odd place. I've also moved my mining to other pools. I can't for the life of me understand how the price of GHS is constantly on the increase there. Doesn't matter what BTC does or any of the attacks, the GHS price always is on the rise. To me, that's a sign of manipulation. But I am an idiot... and don't know wtf I'm talking about, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Wink
makebitcoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:35:39 PM

Ghash is a weird...odd place. I've also moved my mining to other pools. I can't for the life of me understand how the price of GHS is constantly on the increase there. Doesn't matter what BTC does or any of the attacks, the GHS price always is on the rise. To me, that's a sign of manipulation. But I am an idiot... and don't know wtf I'm talking about, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Wink

I've heard that the price of a GH/s was at 0.1BTC in December 2013 so it hasn't always been on the rise.
d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 04:38:46 PM

Your request (22394) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Leonard J.
Leonard J. (CEX.IO)

Jun 14 17:02

Hello d57heinz,

Apologies for the server outages, we are currently under DDOS attack, and have been for several hours. Please be patient while we attempt to mitigate this attack.

Best Regards,
 Leonard
 CEX.IO Support

And one mod says it was a "test" another says it was a ddos  so which is it  and if it was a test then why didn't you inform the community ahaead of tijme I had to redirect 35 s1 and s2 to another pool.. Would like to thanks slush for his stratum proxy I just stumble on.   makes life of the bigger miner much easier to switch pools

Doug
d57heinz
In Bitcoin We Trust!

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 06:32:30 PM

If Ghash.io had all of their hash-power in-house, a DDOS would not  be an effective way to reduce their hash-rate. They would only need a few modem connections (or 1 VDSL/cable connection) to keep participating in the network: even if their public links are saturated.

The reason their hash-rate went down appears to be that the miners using them as a pool were unable to connect. Unless their miners are going to start using tor or I2P, their links for such mining must always have a public IP address.

In conclusion, DDOS will not discourage well-funded adversaries from attacking the network. DDOS attacks are really only effective against entities with public-facing architecture.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: