Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:11:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are sockpuppet accounts allowed?  (Read 1031 times)
TheMage (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 08:10:30 PM

Simple question I would like to see a mod answer. Thanks  Smiley

P.S. No im not asking for myself, i dont have any sockpuppet accounts nor do I intend too.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 08:14:41 PM

P.S. No im not asking for myself, i dont have any sockpuppet accounts nor do I intend too.

How could the forum prevent them?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2014, 08:14:54 PM

Yes, multiple (sockpuppet) accounts are allowed.

TheMage (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2014, 08:19:33 PM

How could the forum prevent them?

No idea, I just saw someone opening admit to using sockpuppets to "scam" (in the loose sense of the term) people with pump and dump tactics.

Yes, multiple (sockpuppet) accounts are allowed.

Thanks

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
rhino34567

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 06:10:46 AM

Just to add to it, I believe they are not only allowed, but also encouraged by theymos. He said something about shill accounts being useful for free speech or such. It is somewhere around the forums.

Lieji

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 07:34:11 AM

Just to add to it, I believe they are not only allowed, but also encouraged by theymos. He said something about shill accounts being useful for free speech or such. It is somewhere around the forums.

Can anyone share a link for that?  Huh

TheMage (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:05:51 AM

I too would like to see this.

While I wouldn't argue with the mods, it seems to be not in the spirit of free speech to allow these. I can't think of another forum that allows sockpuppet accounts.

acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:10:17 AM

Can't really do anything about them, with TOR and VPNs so common on the forum. So, yes, dear Sir.

I can't think of another forum that allows sockpuppet accounts.

No forum doesn't allow sockpuppet accounts. You can't prevent them. I don't think they'd be allowed if you couldn't prevent them. They're just a bit uncommon on sites less technical, or sites were anonymity isn't important.
TheMage (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:19:56 AM

Can't really do anything about them, with TOR and VPNs so common on the forum. So, yes, dear Sir.

No forum doesn't allow sockpuppet accounts. You can't prevent them. I don't think they'd be allowed if you couldn't prevent them. They're just a bit uncommon on sites less technical, or sites were anonymity isn't important.

Not true. This forum, build on SMF, tracks IP's.....would be fairly easy under an investigation/due diligence to see some (not all obviously) sockpuppet accounts. Thats of course assuming the person with the accounts is lax with their postings (use account A to slam someone in a thread, use account B 1 min later to slam same person in a thread).

acs267

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:25:13 AM

Not true. This forum, build on SMF, tracks IP's.....would be fairly easy under an investigation/due diligence to see some (not all obviously) sockpuppet accounts. Thats of course assuming the person with the accounts is lax with their postings (use account A to slam someone in a thread, use account B 1 min later to slam same person in a thread).

With a good thought process, a sockpuppet could stay hidden for a long time. Let's be honest, there's obviously some well trusted ones.

However, I registered with a VPN. I try to use TOR sometimes, to not stay hooked onto a specific IP. However, how does your argument go against mine of 'if you couldn't prevent them'?
TheMage (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:31:57 AM

With a good thought process, a sockpuppet could stay hidden for a long time. Let's be honest, there's obviously some well trusted ones.

However, I registered with a VPN. I try to use TOR sometimes, to not stay hooked onto a specific IP. However, how does your argument go against mine of 'if you couldn't prevent them'?

I dont mean to argue with you, im just saying there are ways to remove some obvious ones. I fully understand what you are saying.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:14:43 AM

While I wouldn't argue with the mods, it seems to be not in the spirit of free speech to allow these. I can't think of another forum that allows sockpuppet accounts.

Your reply is so full of irony.  You say you wouldn't argue ... but making an argument in the face of authority seems to me to be the example par excellance of 'free speech', irony #1.  Then you go on to argue so I guess that's irony #2.  Then your argument is that people shouldn't be free to make extra accounts, you say that kind of freedom is against free speech (#3).  Anywhoo.
TheMage (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:22:27 AM

Your reply is so full of irony.  You say you wouldn't argue ... but making an argument in the face of authority seems to me to be the example par excellance of 'free speech', irony #1.  Then you go on to argue so I guess that's irony #2.  Then your argument is that people shouldn't be free to make extra accounts, you say that kind of freedom is against free speech (#3).  Anywhoo.

It wasn't an argument, it was a general statement. Whats wrong with what I said and how is it ironic?

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:29:32 PM

It wasn't an argument, it was a general statement. Whats wrong with what I said and how is it ironic?

Whelp, maybe you don't understand the defintion of 'argument', I don't think I can help you with that right now.  As to irony, I think it's laid out as plainly as I can just above.  If you don't see it, let's just move on.
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:30:15 AM

Here you are. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104178

I don't have a problem with alt accounts as long as they're not used for evading bans. If you're hesitant to say something controversial because you don't want it to be associated with your name, please create an alt account and say it.

If there is something you're not comfortable saying associated with your name, maybe you should reconsider saying it at all.

That's a pretty naïve view, IMO. A person isn't composed of just one personality. You're a different person in different places and situations, and it's uncomfortable to mix all of these personalities into one.

I think there is a more serious point here. You can use sock-puppets to create false credibility, such as positive feedback on a fake investment opportunity. You can then use that credibility to con people out of their money.

I sometimes do react to stuff like this when I see it. Readers should really judge posts purely on the merit of their arguments, though, and not based on how many people said something or how many posts someone has.
rhino34567

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 10:32:29 PM

Here you are. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104178

I don't have a problem with alt accounts as long as they're not used for evading bans. If you're hesitant to say something controversial because you don't want it to be associated with your name, please create an alt account and say it.

If there is something you're not comfortable saying associated with your name, maybe you should reconsider saying it at all.

That's a pretty naïve view, IMO. A person isn't composed of just one personality. You're a different person in different places and situations, and it's uncomfortable to mix all of these personalities into one.

I think there is a more serious point here. You can use sock-puppets to create false credibility, such as positive feedback on a fake investment opportunity. You can then use that credibility to con people out of their money.

I sometimes do react to stuff like this when I see it. Readers should really judge posts purely on the merit of their arguments, though, and not based on how many people said something or how many posts someone has.
That's exactly what I was referring to. Thanks.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: