Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:24:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop making scamcoins FFS  (Read 1486 times)
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:58:26 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 06:48:53 AM by Vann

Here is one way to prevent scam coins with the community, offer a bounty for coin inspection from newly made coins, to check if the code is legit or not

That's what the proposal BinaryClock from Dedicated Pools is working on is about:

Committee for Development and Sustainability of the Altcoin Industry

http://dedicatedpool.com/draft1.pdf
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:58:43 AM

majority have a new icon and name so.. what good will that do ?

how about if any coin is put out that is scrypt we ban it ?
or how about banning the next batch of so called "x11" coins ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
portice
Legendary

Activity: 999
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:05:33 AM

Here is one way to prevent scam coins with the community, offer a bounty for coin inspection from newly made coins, to check if the code is legit or not

I'll give all you guys one other way, don't buy or mine it?  If lemmings keep supporting the garbage, the garbage will keep coming, doesn't make sense not too.  (I know, I get it I made a ton of shit on absolute trash, but if people really want it to stop then don't support it in any way). 
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:31:57 AM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 06:48:16 AM by Vann

nxt has many innovative features

NXT, just like every other IPO coin is nothing but a scam.  See my quote on that below:

Anything premined with an IPO over the span of 1 second usually has an abysmal market penetration defeating the whole purpose of cryptocurrency, or just results in a pyramid scheme to try and force the masses to enrich a handful of people.  This isn't why Bitcoin was created and seems like a blatant hijack of it to turn it into a get rich quick scheme.  If the proof of stake coin is mined over a long period, like Bitcoin is, then my stance on that is obviously different.

bitcoin (oh "so so glorious pow"!) has one of the worst distributions of all cryptocurrencies and this is where discussion ends. what u are saying comes from the mouth of a hardcore hypocrite playing with "what is scam/unfair and what isnt". a joke for anyone with well functioning brain. thank u for ur post, best example for delusion.

It's true many of Bitcoin's early adopters accumulated a disproportionate amount of coins through the PoW distribution method, but that was a result of being a pioneering technology and the timeframe it was developed under, not a failure of the distribution method.

BTC was publicly released fairly through several forums including this one. Everyone that wanted to could have participated and it was mined on personal computers for YEARS before ASIC took over and centralized mining. BTC early adopters also had to wait YEARS before they were able to cash in their holdings for untold riches. Many, many years that took not selling when their holdings were worth $1 each, as many did and multiple spikes and crashes along the way.

That is completely different than an unfair implementation of PoW distribution by design that many of the shitcoin scams use to deliberately concentrate the mining to enrich the 'devs' and early adopters with large block rewards upfront, insta-nimes, fast-mines, delaying the wallet release, etc.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 01:55:28 PM

That's what the proposal BinaryClock from Dedicated Pools is working on is about:

Committee for Development and Sustainability of the Altcoin Industry

http://dedicatedpool.com/draft1.pdf

I applaud the CfDaDofAI for the accuracy of their assessment as to where might be the right area to start and the soundness of their assessment that there is a fair chance that the domain might benefit significantly if its practitioners could successfully be motivated to adhere to an agreed set of standards.

The Committee's effort may be well-intentioned but it is also unfortunately profoundly and fatally flawed; it provides none of the crucial operational definitions that would enable the scheme actually to be implemented. The consequences of this omission are fundamentally destructive to the intention --- in essence it guarantees that all of the quality assertions stated in the document will reduce to purely personal subjective opinion.

The recent Poloniex/Supercoin kerfuffle was an entirely predictable result of Poloniex neglecting to provide even themselves with a reliable operational definition of the software standards they are attempting to impose.

I can't seem to find evidence in the draft that the CfDaDofAI did any desk research whatsoever before attempting to set forth what is, in essence, a software engineering standards proposal. The end result suggests that they omitted to inform themselves of even a sliver of the vast amount of existing work on standards in software engineering, their construction, validation and implementation.

I would hope that it is very clear to most that the only feasible starting point for such an effort is: “what is the nature of the problem?” That stance has at least a chance of avoiding the ineffectual cargo-culting that currently characterises all the efforts I'm aware of.

I find it enormously instructive and, I hope, eventually modestly profitable that the entire industry is apparently oblivious to the fact that the primary issue is not technologic in origin but actually mostly psycho-social and any mooted solution that arises from a single domain can trivially be rejected as insufficiently broad-based to be demonstrably effective.

As yet, I've not come across any public manifestation of the problem that doesn't essentially boil down to some people hurling imprecations of “Scaaaaaam!!!” at some other people. (As far as I can make out, the only agreed convention seems to be that periodically they change ends.)

Whilst this in itself is unremarkable, unsurprising and quintessentially human, it does leave a lot to be desired in terms of characterising the different factors involved and their interrelationships --- a necessary (but not sufficient) precondition for the identification of a set of candidate solutions, one of which might even include some software standards ... if we're lucky.

Agreed, I could have chosen to couch this response in a more gentle auctorial voice but the signal-to-noise ratio of bct rarely rises above the proportion of gold in seawater and experience informs me that mild == ignored. This Committee of apparently anonymous people is potentially in the right position to exert some positive influence but it will need to raise its game substantially if that potential is to have a significant chance of being realised.

My idiosyncratic definition of “constructive criticism” in this context is: i) draw attention to a fundamental omission and its logical implications, ii) maybe help people to avoid wasting time pursuing an activity that can be objectively and cogently argued as futile and ii) gesture vaguely in a direction where a remedy might be found.

Cheers,

Graham
chesthing
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 03:18:48 PM

Most of what you have right now are miners and people waiting to rent miners salivating at each new coin hoping they can dump on later buyers before the coin dies. Pretty much every coin this month could have been made by the exact same person who copy/pasted your typical coin from last month.
This scene is dying quickly, it has turned into nothing more than a trap for noobs looking at past price charts from XC, Aur, Vrt, etc with their mouths dropped to the floor. 100x+ price increase over a few days - where the hell else can you find that? not here again unless professional coders and fresh ideas come. That's the only reason I'm watching, hoping things turn around. My btc will stay on the sidelines in the meantime.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: