Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:49:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dedicated miner  (Read 2227 times)
cuz0882 (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 10:06:51 PM

I'm setting up some dedicated miners at a friends place. I want to do it without leaving a monitor there. I'm going to be using a wireless adapter for the internet. What's the best OS to do this? Does linuxcoin allow full control of settings from a remote location?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheHarbinger

Activity: 378

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 04:08:49 AM

I'm setting up some dedicated miners at a friends place. I want to do it without leaving a monitor there. I'm going to be using a wireless adapter for the internet. What's the best OS to do this? Does linuxcoin allow full control of settings from a remote location?

As a headless miner with wireless, the best bet right now is probably a Ubuntu 11.04 install with CGminer run from a startup script.  If you can get a wired connection, use BAMT with CGminer.

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 03:06:50 PM

If you have an extra wireless router, install DD-WRT and set it up as a wireless bridge with the rig connected by Ethernet. That will be a lot more stable than using a wireless adapter.

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 03:08:56 PM

If you have an extra wireless router, install DD-WRT and set it up as a wireless bridge with the rig connected by Ethernet. That will be a lot more stable than using a wireless adapter.

This.  Would you run a server off a wireless link?  A mining rig is a server.  It is on 24/7 and when it goes down you lose money.
TheHarbinger

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 12:38:37 AM

BAMT 5.0 now supports wireless setups out of the box it seems.  Haven't tested it myself, yet.

Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 12:40:06 AM

Use something linux and learn SSH.  You will be glad you did.

BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 12:48:23 AM

BAMT 5.0 now supports wireless setups out of the box it seems.  Haven't tested it myself, yet.

You could get it to work with wireless before; it's just standard Debian. No matter what, though, wireless will be inherently much more unstable.

cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 12:57:35 PM

This.  Would you run a server off a wireless link?  A mining rig is a server.  It is on 24/7 and when it goes down you lose money.

Wireless is actually pretty reliable, I don't think I've had any more trouble with it then my wired pc. Definitely not worth running ethernet cables all over the house.
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 01:00:24 PM

I just got it working tonight with BAMT. Do you know how to get cgminer on BAMT? Or some alternative mining software that is fast with 5970s?
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 03:06:32 PM

Of course there is little reason to assume a DD-WRT modded wireless bridge is any more reliable than a wireless card. Its still wireless you see Smiley.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 03:15:19 PM

Of course there is little reason to assume a DD-WRT modded wireless bridge is any more reliable than a wireless card. Its still wireless you see Smiley.

IMHO yes (marginally).  I have found DD-WRT to be pretty reliable.  The whole dedicated appliance vs general purpose computer concept.  I have found wireless drivers to be glitchy in both windows & linux.   Situations where my wife's laptop goes "down" and I get "Baby is the internet down" (then I have to bite my tongue to not make comments about nuclear war). My laptop fine, router fine, "internet" fine.  Her wifi driver/hardware/OS just decided to glitch out.  Plus who knows what the heat of mining rig is going to do to "relability" of the wifi radio.

Personally I wouldn't run miners on anything less than cat5.  Downtime = lost coins but if I had to I would pick a bridge over internal wifi.  Plus if you got 2 or 3 rigs it probably is cheaper.
cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 03:39:52 PM

IMHO yes (marginally).  I have found DD-WRT to be pretty reliable.  The whole dedicated appliance vs general purpose computer concept.  I have found wireless drivers to be glitchy in both windows & linux.   Situations where my wife's laptop goes "down" and I get "Baby is the internet down" (then I have to bite my tongue to not make comments about nuclear war). My laptop fine, router fine, "internet" fine.  Her wifi driver/hardware/OS just decided to glitch out.  Plus who knows what the heat of mining rig is going to do to "relability" of the wifi radio.

Personally I wouldn't run miners on anything less than cat5.  Downtime = lost coins but if I had to I would pick a bridge over internal wifi.  Plus if you got 2 or 3 rigs it probably is cheaper.
Not all wireless is built equal, a nice router makes a big difference. I don't think it makes any performance difference if they all get a good signal. I have 8 miners at my house with only 2 on cat5 and I've never noticed anything. The wireless cards are only 13-15 bucks each. It would actually cost more for cat5 and another hub to hook them up. 
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 04:08:38 PM

I have had the same experience. One of my miners runs off a DD-WRT wireless bridge; the bridge itself has been stable for over a month. Running off a wifi dongle was stable 24 hours at best.

cuz0882 (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 01:28:46 AM

It's probably just a signal issue. I've had them go months without issues and when they do crash its not the wireless. You don't want to be using a cheap brand like belkin. You need a 150 dollar cisco or netgear router.
BinaryMage

Ad astra.

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 01:34:37 AM

It's probably just a signal issue. I've had them go months without issues and when they do crash its not the wireless. You don't want to be using a cheap brand like belkin. You need a 150 dollar cisco or netgear router.

I use an old $30 Belkin G router as a wireless bridge and it works perfectly.

TheHarbinger

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 09:58:03 PM

I just got it working tonight with BAMT. Do you know how to get cgminer on BAMT? Or some alternative mining software that is fast with 5970s?

I haven't been able to get cgminer to load at startup on BAMT 0.5 personally.  Not sure why.  So I'm sticking with 0.4 for a while until I figure it out.  But if you look in /opt/bamt/examples/  there will be another bamt.conf file that will show you what to change to use cgminer.

Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 05:46:35 PM

I haven't been able to get cgminer to load at startup on BAMT 0.5 personally.  Not sure why.  So I'm sticking with 0.4 for a while until I figure it out.  But if you look in /opt/bamt/examples/  there will be another bamt.conf file that will show you what to change to use cgminer.
Thanks.  I just got another card and am playing with 0.5.  I'll look in /opt/bamt/examples for some help.

fabrizziop

Activity: 506

View Profile
March 06, 2012, 03:12:35 PM

I used windows 7, with teamviewer. Works beautifully good for a headless rig, and I can control it fully from anywhere.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: