Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:03:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Iran actress scandal??  (Read 2876 times)
umair127 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 04:55:07 PM

An Iranian actress, Leila Hatami who starred in the Oscar-winning fim "A Separation" angered religious authorities after she kissed the cheek of the president of Cannes Film Festival, Gilles Jacob and now she faces a call that she be publicly flogged by various groups in her country.

After the controversial kiss on the cheek, many hardline media outlets in Iran used the headlines "Leila Hatami kisses a strange man" to accompany the pictures to the dissaproval of hard line media and conservative political parties in her country.

A few days later, a group of female Iranian students wrote to Tehran’s minister of culture and media, Al Jannati. “We ask actress Leila Hatami be sentenced to one to ten years imprisonment and flogging,” the petition read. “We refer you to article 638 of Islamic Penal Code, which deems punishment for those who commit a sin in public. Leila Hatami, who is a beloved public personality in our Islamic nation, did not observe the proper Islamic attire and intentionally, and with full knowledge of her actions, volunteered to kiss a foreign non-Muslim man.” The group signed the petition the “Student Sisters of Hezbollah.”

What do you guys think of this? Massive over reaction or do the Iranians have the right to enforce moral codes unto artists who represent their country?

Do consider both sides of the argument.

sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:09:58 PM

It is definitely massive over reaction by the Iranians.. When one steps out in the world to create a place for himself he has to break his shell and tune in with everybody.. If he doesn't, he wont be able to succeed, and this holds true especially in case of the entertainment industry..
Anyways, latest update is that she has apologized saying that her act was fruitless and she treats the person like her grand father..

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:19:35 PM

Can the flogging be live and on pay-per-view at least?
Or why is it no feminist org. are talking, blogging twitting about her case?

noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:24:16 PM

This kind of thing disgusts me. There will always be religious extremism in every country, just like how there is the Westboro baptist church in the U.S

The messed up thing is that in some countries, those people are actually in power. But majority of Iranians are not like that. Many of the Iranian friends I know online are quite moderate and open.

They too, are saddened by how the image of their country has been painted as a haven for radical religious extremists who try to tell women what they can or cannot do.

umair127 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:31:05 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2637615/Irans-actress-facing-public-flogging-kissed-male-Cannes-film-festival-boss-cheek.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2633959/Irans-actress-condemned-fanatics-kissing-Cannes-film-festival-boss-CHEEK.html

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:53:23 PM

Actually, I do think Iranians have a right to have a say in the actions of people representing their country such as celebrities or sport stars because it affects the image of a country, especially an Islamic country like Iran!
Imagine an athlete from US saying how gay people are disgusting and should not be allowed to marry when he was at an international event. I'm sure the political backlash would be tremendous as well!
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 05:57:10 PM

An Iranian actress, Leila Hatami who starred in the Oscar-winning fim "A Separation" angered religious authorities after she kissed the cheek of the president of Cannes Film Festival, Gilles Jacob and now she faces a call that she be publicly flogged by various groups in her country.

After the controversial kiss on the cheek, many hardline media outlets in Iran used the headlines "Leila Hatami kisses a strange man" to accompany the pictures to the dissaproval of hard line media and conservative political parties in her country.

A few days later, a group of female Iranian students wrote to Tehran’s minister of culture and media, Al Jannati. “We ask actress Leila Hatami be sentenced to one to ten years imprisonment and flogging,” the petition read. “We refer you to article 638 of Islamic Penal Code, which deems punishment for those who commit a sin in public. Leila Hatami, who is a beloved public personality in our Islamic nation, did not observe the proper Islamic attire and intentionally, and with full knowledge of her actions, volunteered to kiss a foreign non-Muslim man.” The group signed the petition the “Student Sisters of Hezbollah.”

What do you guys think of this? Massive over reaction or do the Iranians have the right to enforce moral codes unto artists who represent their country?

What is actually shocking is that the cal to have this actress sentenced and flogged came from women! Is that not scary? I have to ask what is the state of women's rights in Iran? I have met a few Iranian women in Europe who told me just how free they feel in living in Europe. They often dread going back home on visits.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:06:15 PM

Imagine an athlete from US saying how gay people are disgusting and should not be allowed to marry when he was at an international event. I'm sure the political backlash would be tremendous as well!

If something like that happens, will the athlete be flogged in public? Especially if the athlete is a female? This incident is very sick. And even more disgusting are the people who defend such stone age rituals.
noviapriani

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:09:22 PM

What is actually shocking is that the cal to have this actress sentenced and flogged came from women! Is that not scary? I have to ask what is the state of women's rights in Iran? I have met a few Iranian women in Europe who told me just how free they feel in living in Europe. They often dread going back home on visits.
They is certainly very enlightening to know the point of view of Iranian women living in Europe. I do hope they get Citizenship status so they don't have to go back and be oppressed by the government in their country. Sad

Countries like Iran need more liberal minded leaders so that women rights can be recognized and more liberty be given to them. I don't get why women are treated so harshly in those countries. Is it because of their religion??

NapoleonBonaparte

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:15:51 PM

They is certainly very enlightening to know the point of view of Iranian women living in Europe. I do hope they get Citizenship status so they don't have to go back and be oppressed by the government in their country. Sad

Countries like Iran need more liberal minded leaders so that women rights can be recognized and more liberty be given to them. I don't get why women are treated so harshly in those countries. Is it because of their religion??

Country and culture need to solve their own issue rather than bringing the same problems into another country/host/culture.
umair127 (OP)

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:22:44 PM

This kind of thing disgusts me. There will always be religious extremism in every country, just like how there is the Westboro baptist church in the U.S

The messed up thing is that in some countries, those people are actually in power. But majority of Iranians are not like that. Many of the Iranian friends I know online are quite moderate and open.

They too, are saddened by how the image of their country has been painted as a haven for radical religious extremists who try to tell women what they can or cannot do.
I guess women in Iran have no rights at all today.. They cant even roam freely around in the public without having their head covered... Few days back, a Facebook page was launched where women of Iran were allowed to post their pictures without their head coverings, and as expected, it raised questions.. Disgusting!!

sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:24:20 PM

Actually, I do think Iranians have a right to have a say in the actions of people representing their country such as celebrities or sport stars because it affects the image of a country, especially an Islamic country like Iran!
That actress does not represent anyone, even if she was only Iranian in the festival. No Iranian agency or organization authorize or pay her to present in France. She acted for her own, not for Iran.
Isn't too hypocrite to ask for an actress to behave morally for the name of her people, especially when the people is not that moral.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:48:12 PM

This is why Islam can't have nice things.

beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 06:49:56 PM

anyone remember when this happened to richard gere in india? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wzUZsMdE4

i don't think it's an issue isolated to muslim countries only.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 04:58:28 PM

This is why Islam can't have nice things.

From wiki:

He also preached of Islam's essentially serious nature

Allah did not create man so that he could have fun. The aim of creation was for mankind to be put to the test through hardship and prayer. An Islamic regime must be serious in every field. There are no jokes in Islam. There is no humor in Islam. There is no fun in Islam. There can be no fun and joy in whatever is serious. Islam does not allow swimming in the sea and is opposed to radio and television serials. Islam, however, allows marksmanship, horseback riding and competition ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_thought_and_legacy_of_Ruhollah_Khomeini

C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:05:59 PM

Nice try at turning this around.  In this case the stupidity and intolerance is coming from a country, not an individual.  No scandal here, just more idiocy from Iran.   Roll Eyes

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
cech4204a

Activity: 252

12CDKyxPyL5Rj28ed2yz5czJf3Dr2ZvEYw

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 06:46:02 AM

Damn that's some bad religion if you get in prison for a kiss. A kiss has always been sign of a love or respect, depends where kiss i given, but on cheeks it's just show of respecting other cultures. I will never understand that logics of some religions.

Bitcoin is DEAD
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 07:04:10 AM

Damn that's some bad religion if you get in prison for a kiss. A kiss has always been sign of a love or respect, depends where kiss i given, but on cheeks it's just show of respecting other cultures. I will never understand that logics of some religions.

Don't blame the religion. Blame it on the fanatics who misinterpret it. These extremist nations such as Iran and Saudi Arabia are a disgrace to humanity. And it is sad to see even more countries sliding down that path.
C10H15N

Activity: 811
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:47:13 PM

But this only applies to women.  They are property:  The property of their father at birth then the property of their husband at marriage.  How dare a mere woman act in such a disgraceful manner to bring shame and embarrassment upon her family.   Roll Eyes  

Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked. -Warren Buffett
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:59:21 PM

Religion: the reason for and cause of almost all violence and hate.

OOOH you thought it improved your life? LMAO.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: