Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:49:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Exclusive Subforum with 10 BTC requirement  (Read 831 times)
BetMoose (OP)

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

Real Bets. Real People. By Anyone, on anything

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 06:55:16 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2014, 07:44:28 PM by BetMoose

A thread caught my attention and really worried me about the community here; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=650311.0

I propose a solution; have an 'off-limits' board that is only available to members who sign a message with their bitcoin address proving they have 10 BTC or more.

This should create an exclusive yet very appealing sub-board to those of us who are actually affected by all this bitcoin stuff instead of just spammers/trolls/newbies who are trying to get a few bucks in cash.

In addition, you can add a 0.0001 BTC per post requirement (paid to the forum) which will keep out the sponsor/spam/shameless bumping.

Alternatively, we can make a whole separate forum for this though just in case this one gets attacked or goes down, we have a fall-back. I can do this if there's interest, PM me.

BetMoose.com - Wager on real world events. Profit from predicting the future. Create and share your own contracts.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 06:59:52 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html

If you donate 10 BTC, you can get a special "Donator" title and a green "who's online" color. If you donate 50 BTC, you get VIP status and the ability to create a custom title for yourself. Both Donators and VIPs also get access to an exclusive forum section.

There you go. Not exactly what you asked for, but just signing a msg is a bit easy, isnt it? Paying 10 BTC is where its at for beeing exclusive.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
BetMoose (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:23:35 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html

If you donate 10 BTC, you can get a special "Donator" title and a green "who's online" color. If you donate 50 BTC, you get VIP status and the ability to create a custom title for yourself. Both Donators and VIPs also get access to an exclusive forum section.

There you go. Not exactly what you asked for, but just signing a msg is a bit easy, isnt it? Paying 10 BTC is where its at for beeing exclusive.

Signing is easy yes, having 10 BTC isn't - you'd have to go through an exchange, mine, or do multiple local trades to get to that amount - that's enough to make someone a 'bitcoiner' IMO.

Could be a combination of a fixed cost (sign with 10 BTC)+, then a 'donate' which can be any amount.

BetMoose.com - Wager on real world events. Profit from predicting the future. Create and share your own contracts.
acs267

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:31:01 PM

Why would this be useful? Please, please utter the single phrase that tell's me why someone having $5,995 is considered Elite? That's surely not the 1% at all, and in the U.S, most Elites are millionaires to billionaires. What the hell are you smoking?
Mikez

Activity: 508

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:36:22 PM

If this gets implemented, in the current form, people will start moving 10btc to addresses so that they can sign them for different users, for a fee. It'll be something like the current situation of account selling, it's not prohibited because it can't be controlled.

BetMoose (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:43:53 PM

Why would this be useful? Please, please utter the single phrase that tell's me why someone having $5,995 is considered Elite? That's surely not the 1% at all, and in the U.S, most Elites are millionaires to billionaires. What the hell are you smoking?

You might want to check this chart:
http://bitcoinrichlist.com/charts/bitcoin-distribution-by-address?atblock=305000

What this does is not make you 'elite' (I've changed the title); what it does is show that you are actually a bitcoiner and care about the ecosystem enough to pay into it.

(That's sort of the goal of BetMoose as well - if you REALLY think something will happen, stop talking about it and put something down on it.)

BetMoose (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:45:31 PM

If this gets implemented, in the current form, people will start moving 10btc to addresses so that they can sign them for different users, for a fee. It'll be something like the current situation of account selling, it's not prohibited because it can't be controlled.

That's not necessarily a problem - the point of this subboard/new forum is to only those actually IN bitcoin, aka those that understand how it works, and have actually put $X amount of fiat into it.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:50:57 PM

That's not necessarily a problem - the point of this subboard/new forum is to only those actually IN bitcoin, aka those that understand how it works, and have actually put $X amount of fiat into it.

Just because you are willing to risk money does not mean you understand Bitcoin or bitcoin.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Mikez

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 07:51:52 PM

But yet, it may be is a problem, as this can be a method for people to get in that forum/subforum, without actually having 10 BTC, but rather paying a fee(say 0.01 btc) to someone who will sign a transaction with an address that has 10BTC on it.

Example:

1. Alice has 10BTC and sells signs messages for users to get into the 'Elite forum'.
2. Bob wants one, pays for it and gets access to the forum.
3. Huh
4. Profit.

Conclussion:
Bob gets access to the so called 'Elite forum' without actually owning 10BTC.
Alice gets some 'passive income' from owning 10BTC.

BetMoose (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 07:59:06 PM

Just because you are willing to risk money does not mean you understand Bitcoin or bitcoin.

No but it's usually very highly correlated. Putting something at risk will always be more meaningful than not.

Btw PMs work the same way - just because you put money down doesn't mean you know the future, but in aggregate, they predict stuff like weather and elections better than an exit poll; source (10 and 11): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_market#cite_note-am-10

BetMoose (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 08:20:38 PM

But yet, it may be is a problem, as this can be a method for people to get in that forum/subforum, without actually having 10 BTC, but rather paying a fee(say 0.01 btc) to someone who will sign a transaction with an address that has 10BTC on it.

Example:

1. Alice has 10BTC and sells signs messages for users to get into the 'Elite forum'.
2. Bob wants one, pays for it and gets access to the forum.
3. Huh
4. Profit.

Conclussion:
Bob gets access to the so called 'Elite forum' without actually owning 10BTC.
Alice gets some 'passive income' from owning 10BTC.

Then the implementation would have a cost per post - something meaninglessly small, similarly to the bitcoin wiki. I don't think you realize how big of a step a user having to spend $ or effort really is.

RiverBoatBTC

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2014, 08:23:59 PM

So people with X amounts of bitcoins are not spammers or trolls eh?
What about that Mpex-pr thing? Sure they could have paid it and trolled you to death.

I can not see any benefit in having a wealth based forum, seems like a way to give some a voice over the other to me.

Mikez

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 08:49:30 PM

What about that Mpex-pr thing? Sure they could have paid it and trolled you to death.
Don't get me started on him Cheesy.

I can not see any benefit in having a wealth based forum, seems like a way to give some a voice over the other to me.

It might also attract more scammers, that want to get in with all the people that have moneyz.
Not saying that having a sepparate place for the rich is a bad thing, but it's really hard not to turn into a bad thing.

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 10:46:54 PM

Paying 10 BTC is where its at for beeing exclusive.

Knowing what is on that forum and how little it is used, I would not recommend paying 10BTC for it if your sole intention is exclusive access. You can always PM a Donator if you have ideas or things to talk about. There used to be a .txt file with a list of donator/VIP names, I'm not sure what happened to it. Keep in mind, though, Donators are mostly just people that at one point donated 10 BTC or more (when it was only worth $2-6 per) to keep the forums going (before ads were able to cover costs). Also keep in mind that a good percentage of Donators and VIPs became scammers, ie, they took advantage of the exclusivity of title to scam regular users.
Mikez

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:11:57 PM

There used to be a .txt file with a list of donator/VIP names...

Here is a complete list of Donators and VIPs: https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html

Also, I heard that that forum is pretty much.. barren, not much activity at all. True?

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:16:05 PM

There used to be a .txt file with a list of donator/VIP names...

Here is a complete list of Donators and VIPs: https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html

Also, I heard that that forum is pretty much.. barren, not much activity at all. True?

You are correct, staff also has access and I see very little discussion there.
Mikez

View Profile
June 17, 2014, 11:30:23 PM

You are correct, staff also has access and I see very little discussion there.

Thank you for confirming this, but couldn't help but wonder why there's very little discussion in there. I think most of us imagine some incredible stuff being said in there, when the truth is.. it's pretty quiet.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 05:06:31 AM

Right, or TradeFortress/FreeHugs alongside many others.  There are certainly as many bad apples with large holdings as there are bad apples without large holdings.  I certainly am not interested in joining an elite forum.  Then again, I don't have 10btc so...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: