Bitcoin Forum
July 03, 2024, 03:41:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are wallets isolated?  (Read 631 times)
newseries (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2014, 02:21:21 PM

Hi

I have multiple wallets on Multibit, some of them also have multiple addresses.

Are bitcoin transactions and/or synchronisation done over https/tls/ssl/whatever, either normally or in MultiBit?

Is the synchronisation information (to get balances) highly specific or only slightly specific to the particular wallets stored in my MultiBit?

My concern is that if I reveal publicly the public key/address of one of my wallets that an eavesdropper could link my identity to other wallets stored in MultiBit from viewing the traffic used to get balances.

Looking forward to understanding this better,
Cheers,
NS
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 02:47:33 PM

The wallets themselves are stored separately to each other and contain:

+ private keys, addresses
+ transactions
+ your labels

The synchronisation is done _across_ wallets in MultiBit Classic i.e they are synced in parallel.
The syncing is done directly with the Bitcon network peers, which is over http i.e. (not encrypted).

Probably tracing transactions on the block chain  would be the easiest way for someone to link addresses i.e. if you funded one wallet with another then there is some linkage between the two.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 03:00:15 AM

Yes all of your wallets are stored as separate files.

Anytime you reset the blockchain with one wallet on multibit only that wallet will have the blockchain be reset.

Anytime a TX is sent/received only that specific wallet will be affected.

Anytime you change your password it will only apply to that specific wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: