Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:22:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What a difference half a year makes...  (Read 3701 times)
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:48:15 AM

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Mr. Bob Shiller, Nobel prize laureate in economics of 2013.

Here's him, in a statement in January 2014, at a Davos conference:

And here he is again, less than half a year later, in an interview with Forbes (link)

Notice how you do it? Never admit you were wrong, always gradually backpedal. From "It's a bubble, and not that interesting.", to "It's pretty interesting, but still needs lots of work to become usable". Expect "It's going to revolutionize the financial world, and I _TOLD_ you so years ago." anytime soon...

JorgeStolfi, maybe a role model for you as well? ^__^

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 5069

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:54:54 AM

Yeah, I hate these douche bags that just backpedal instead of just admitting they were wrong.  And boy, how wrong they are going to be.

I'm sure Paul Krugman, Peter Schiff, and Warren Buffett will just stubbornly hold out to the bitter end, never admitting that bitcoin has merit.  Paul especially, since he has written so much as a naysayer.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:01:40 PM

Yeah, I hate these douche bags that just backpedal instead of just admitting they were wrong.  And boy, how wrong they are going to be.

I'm sure Paul Krugman, Peter Schiff, and Warren Buffett will just stubbornly hold out to the bitter end, never admitting that bitcoin has merit.  Paul especially, since he has written so much as a naysayer.

Funny you mention Krugman. I remember reading an article a few weeks ago where he, as well, seemed to backpedal a bit already. I'll do a second part when I stumble across it again.

They will all cave in, eventually Cheesy

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
sgk
Legendary

Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:10:03 PM

Notice how you do it? Never admit you were wrong, always gradually backpedal.

Warren Buffett is next in line
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:16:12 PM

I kind of doubt it. He's not an academic, so he has really zero obligation to stay "up to date" -- while tenured economists are expected to follow recent developments with at most a 10 year delay Cheesy

As long as Buffet is able to bring in profits by other means, without jumping onto the crypto bandwaggon, he can afford to do so. He will just be known as the "guy who gets everything, but tech". Which is what his reputation is today already.

MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:25:32 PM

Funny you mention Krugman. I remember reading an article a few weeks ago where he, as well, seemed to backpedal a bit already. I'll do a second part when I stumble across it again.

All these boot-licking establishment 'rent-a-brain' types will back pedal when they begin to twig that Bitcoin is going to be permitted by the Status Quo. Schiff might drag his heels a bit more because Bitcoin goes totally against his libertarian metal-bug 'real money' ideology.

....Krugmann though! The ultimate contrarian indicator!  If I were in his shoes, with his track record for being proven monstrously wrong again and again and again and again and again, I would be to embarrassed to put my 'intellectual' weight behind or against anything in full public view.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:33:16 PM

the average Bitcoiner will tell you " go fuck your self" and will add " what this PHD holder and nobel winner know about economics", in fact Bitcoin price is a bubble but it doesn't mean that it will die, but it will settle and start a normal growth when it hits the real economy... see the bubble was because of the small userbase but when the user base is bigger and market is bigger it will harder to move the price 10X a year.

look at the weekly chart:

life cycle of a bubble

oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 12:37:52 PM

Maybe I should make one thing clear:

I'm personally not anti-academic.

I'm just anti-'economy pretending to be an empirical science, when in reality, the field is better described as: ethics, with a thin veneer of empiricism'

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:33:10 PM

the average Bitcoiner will tell you " go fuck your self" and will add " what this PHD holder and nobel winner know about economics", in fact Bitcoin price is a bubble but it doesn't mean that it will die, but it will settle and start a normal growth when it hits the real economy... see the bubble was because of the small userbase but when the user base is bigger and market is bigger it will harder to move the price 10X a year.

look at the weekly chart:

<btc chart>

life cycle of a bubble

<THAT chart>

One time THAT chart might be right. Your job is figuring out whether its this time.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:42:22 PM

these are always great threads.

we need to memorialize these mainstream obstructionists and apparatchiks who have actively blocked and impeded the progress of Bitcoin so that years from now maybe they will be held accountable.
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:21:26 PM

All these boot-licking establishment 'rent-a-brain' types will back pedal when they begin to twig that Bitcoin is going to be permitted by the Status Quo. Schiff might drag his heels a bit more because Bitcoin goes totally against his libertarian metal-bug 'real money' ideology.

....Krugmann though! The ultimate contrarian indicator!  If I were in his shoes, with his track record for being proven monstrously wrong again and again and again and again and again, I would be to embarrassed to put my 'intellectual' weight behind or against anything in full public view.

As much as I like you, MTC, Krugman, a highly recognized and regarded economist, has a Nobel Prize in Economics; what do you have???
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:41:23 PM

He's trying to backpedal but his statements only get worse ...

He thinks people like price instability because they can make money. No people like to find undervalued assets so you can make money that's called investing and NOT speculating and with your degree I would hope you knew that.

Then he says "we" need sober, banker types. I'm not sure what he means with "we" but I hope he stays the fuck away.

Ignorant person who got where he is by repeating things other people came up with. If some paradigm shift occurs and he needs to have a unique thought for once his lack of ability comes to the surface.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:42:08 PM

In all fairness, buffett was never really that negative of BTC.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:43:06 PM

In all fairness, buffett was never really that negative of BTC.

Yes he was. I think the guy is amazing, but right now he should have just answered: "I don't know" like he usually does with tech.
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:43:22 PM

As much as I like you, MTC, Krugman, a highly recognized and regarded economist, has a Nobel Prize in Economics; what do you have???

The Nobel Prize in Economics is pretty much BS as it was only added (in 1968) by Sweden's central bank to celebrate its own 300th anniversary.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:43:55 PM

Krugman has a NB prize..

Obama has a NB prize.. he goes around slaughter 1000's a day............... A peice price?  Only a moron things the NB prizes mean anything any more, only a moron.

Al gore gets one for a Fing speach on global warming.. himself being a large problem... instead of a woman that saved 1000's from the nazis.. like I said.. only a moron.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 04:45:37 PM

Krugman has a NB prize..

Obama has a NB prize.. he goes around slaughter 1000's a day............... A peice price?  Only a moron things the NB prizes mean anything any more, only a moron.

Al gore gets one for a Fing speach on global warming.. himself being a large problem... instead of a woman that saved 1000's from the nazis.. like I said.. only a moron.

Last year they gave one to the European Union. It's a fucking joke. Newton's rolling over in his grave.
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:06:07 PM

Don't worry, I have a long list of people that bashed on bitcoin heavily at one point in time.  No mercy, we will organise some proper trolling for all of them  Grin Grin Grin
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:07:02 PM

Don't worry, I have a long list of people that bashed on bitcoin heavily at one point in time.  No mercy, we will organise some proper trolling for all of them  Grin Grin Grin

here is the Bitcoin jihadist... Bitcoin akbar ?
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:10:16 PM

LOL
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: