Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:10:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: UFO Coin New Team, Client, Future Plans and NeoScrypt  (Read 55856 times)
bushstar (OP)

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:21:24 PM
Last edit: July 03, 2017, 08:51:34 AM by bushstar

0.8.8.1 Mandatory Update - Hard Fork on block 266,000

UFO Coin has now hard forked to use the NeoScrypt hashing algorithm to remain in the realm of GPU miners and keep away from ASICs in the near future. NeoScrypt uses very strong elements compared to the current version of Scrypt which is already broken by differential analysis. This affords better protection than blending different hashing solutions together.

Download 0.8.8.1 Wallets and Source

Personal Intro
I thought I would post this here first. I was approached by a couple of dedicated members of UFO Coin to work on their coin. I genuinely like the community members and the coin as I am a fan of the sci-fi genre so I decided to go above and beyond and make the UFO Coin client into a much better, newer and more secure release. It was 0.6 but I have updated them to a 0.8 client with all the bells and whistles and we are hard forking in a couple of weeks’ time to secure the blockchain against attacks. From there we plan to change the hashing algorithm to the newest version of Scrypt called NeoScrypt developed by the excellent Ghostlander. This will use the latest components available and will be a 2014 version of Scrypt, not the very old and broken one used currently. When I say broken I mean by differential analysis which is why we see cheap ASICs coming out without RAM, as it is broken the protection afforded by variable N coins is redundant.

The idea these guys have is to fund research like SETI with their UFO Coins. I am all for this sort of thing which is why I was drawn to this project. I have volunteered a fair bit of time to upgrade UFO Coin, I do enjoy helping out other people with their own coins. I believe in the open source ethos which unfortunately is largely overlooked in crypto currency as other coins are seen as competition rather than other projects trying to progress the underlying software.

Below is a message that has been created by the whole UFO team and which I am posting here now to officially relaunch UFO Coin. There are ambitious plans for UFO Coin and I am happy to stand with this coin and help it reach its goals.

UFO Coin welcomes Peter Bushnell as lead developer

We’re excited to announce our new UFO coin team members, though grateful for our legacy contributors. The future is looking bright with the addition of Feathercoin creator Peter Bushnell (bushstar) as the new UFO Lead Developer. In just a few short weeks Peter has steered a technical course for UFO coin, securing it from vulnerabilities plaguing most alt coins. Not only are new wallets available and website but we have just moved to a new hashing algorithm NeoScrypt which keeps us in the realm of GPU miners in the years to come.

Technical update

Peter Bushnell (Bushstar) has taken the UFO client which was based in 0.6 and upgraded it to the 0.8.7.0 codebase which is much more stable and feature rich. There are several changes coming that will help secure the blockchain but a hard fork is required to make these improvements.

v0.8.8.1 - Hard fork happened at height 266,000:
  • NeoScrypt - Move to NeoScrypt which uses blended Salsa 20/20 and Chacha 20/20, Blake2s for hashing and FastKDF. Whitepaper available.

v0.8.7.1 - Previous version changes:
  • Nite’s Gravity Well - This allows for rapid response to hash rate changes and recovery from high difficulty
  • Time Warp Manipulability - Will be reduced to the point where its effect is negligible
  • Automatic Checkpointing - This vital feature for any coin prevents transaction roll back via 51% attacks.

New wallet information

The clients made available for PC and Mac have features expected in a new release like Coin Control and the ability to run the client without a wallet attached to reduce the memory requirement. There is the normal elements found in the better made wallets, QR code generation for addresses in the wallet, UPNP and IPv6. The expected network infrastructure is in place with dedicated DNS seeders for clients to use to find others on the network and nodes dedicated for network connectivity.

Mining Pool

Explorer

Exchanges

No exchanges at the moment. Our buddy scificryptoexchange is undergoing an overhaul
We are working our way to reach for new exchanges. They will be coming soon

In the coming days we’ll be announcing many key partners and features through our UFO Community forum. Again, sincere thanks to our members, miners, sponsors and anonymous contributors for their continued dedication to the project, we invite all others to participate your help is always welcome.

The UFO Team.

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hyeoam

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:21:47 PM

Good info Smiley

Donate BTC: 1NRG17fYCNcfQvQHC3G9TUAowNKsM4oTWA
Shadow_Runner

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:23:40 PM

140 thousands blocks and this is called relaunch lol?
Bfljosh

Activity: 714

Skol!

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:29:51 PM

Why don't you start a new coin?

I bet some people mined tons of ufo coins when diff was low because nobody was interested.
bushstar (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:37:22 PM

The fact is that there are several members of the UFO Coin community that stood by this coin and its ambitions to be used as funding for space based research projects. I was approached by these people to aid UFO Coin. I respect their dedication to their coin, we need more people to stick to what they have started rather than simply launching new coins all the time. I launched Feathercoin over a year ago which was a steep learning curve, I committed to it and over the year we have progressed it into the mature coin that it is today. I have never given up and continue to work on it and I believe that more people should stand by their projects. We are here to progress the crypto source code, there is plenty of room for UFO Coin to adapt, evolve and in turn contribute to this open source project that started with Bitcoin.

daimyo

Activity: 521

UFO

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 03:44:19 PM

The ever increasing list of useless new altcoins is the result of "just starting new coins". This one has dedicated folks behind that fewer can brag about Smiley It would've been far easier to launch a new coin. We decided to take the challenge.

Value does not exist outside of human consciousness
bushstar (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:54:09 PM

If anyone download the Windows wallet could they please do so again. The one linked in was an old version without the NGW hard fork and QR Code support, something to do with a cache apparently. There is a direct link to the Windows client below and the link in the original post has been updated.

UFO Coin 0.8.7.0 Windows

robbo389

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:03:22 PM

Is the old thread link below out of date now?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=460522.680
daimyo

UFO

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:24:43 PM

Is the old thread link below out of date now?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=460522.680

Yes. This is where updates will be posted.

HiroS

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 09:40:51 AM

Good work on this coin. I checked GitHub and the effort has clearly been put into this coin. I upgraded my old wallet with the new one and everything went as expected.

I am selling some of my UFO coins and have made a thread in the link below.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=659045

Hope that you get on to a new exchange soon. Good luck.

Hirocoin - New unique feature just added. We will be the new home for GPU miners when those Scrypt ASICs hit.
platorin

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:31:43 AM

If the coin had some issues, then there is no point to relaunch. Especially with 140k mined blocks.
bushstar (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:00:57 AM

If the coin had some issues, then there is no point to relaunch. Especially with 140k mined blocks.

Relaunched is the wrong word then. We will think of something more suitable. We choose relaunch as there is new management for the coin, the original developer has long gone and was probably a bit out of his element as well. It is a lot to deal with if you are not fully committed to it.

Any which way there are a few members of the UFO community that stuck by this coin as it overlaps with their personal interests. I believe that one member is going to attend a UFO/Alien conference over in the states and will represent UFO Coin there. I am trying to get the details of this event and will post them here so you can get an idea of the type of scene that we are talking about.

Joining Feathercoin with NeoScrypt will be a big deal. There are many alternatives to Scrypt out there now which are not 100% suitable. Scrypt has been such an excellent solution so far and NeoScrypt is going to be an improvement upon it. Having an unbroken version of Scrypt is where the focus should have been, not creating variable N coins using the same elements that have been broken by differential analysis. If the market for variable N ASICs is big enough then people can make them with very minor changes to the Scrypt ASIC hardware and no RAM used at all. If people really want to create a variable N coin then the best way to do it would be to use NeoScrypt as the starting point. Not a version of Scrypt with Salsa 20/8 or Chacha 20/8 both of which are broken.

I am looking forward to taking UFO Coin to NeoScrypt with Feathercoin. The more coins using NeoScrypt the better as it will allow the third party tools to be produced faster and mature quicker.

ChekaZ
Legendary

Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:02:54 PM

Thanks Bushstar for giving that Coin a second chance. Great to see that you overtook the development!

BTC: 1Ges1taJ69W7eEMbQLcmNGnUZenBkCnn45
FTC: 6sxjM96KMZ7t4AmDTUKDZdq82Nj931VQvY
Spekske

Activity: 673
Merit: 506

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 07:29:32 PM

Did anything significant change in the Linux daemon version ? If yes it might be a good idea to inform at least pool operators ahead of any changes.

daimyo

UFO

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 08:53:57 AM

Did anything significant change in the Linux daemon version ? If yes it might be a good idea to inform at least pool operators ahead of any changes.

Spekske, it has been updated too. Please check the github source

Spekske

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 09:01:30 AM

Spekske, it has been updated too. Please check the github source
I'll see if I can update the pool then on the fly Smiley

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 09:53:39 AM

I picked up a lot of UFO in the early days (I love everything sci-fi too) and it's great to have you here Bushstar!

This is really exciting.

Can't wait to see what's in store Smiley
Spekske

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 10:53:09 AM

Would you be so kind te explain in a bit more detail what the change to NeoScrypt means, which miner is needed ? which pool supports NeoScrypt ? etc. etc.

Len

Activity: 177

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 11:23:26 AM

Would you be so kind te explain in a bit more detail what the change to NeoScrypt means, which miner is needed ? which pool supports NeoScrypt ? etc. etc.
im interested to hear about that too
Spekske

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 11:46:53 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2014, 12:12:53 PM by Spekske

http://dutchpool.org is currently installing the latest daemon, blocks are re-indexing, so please be patient, it should be available again soon Smiley
EDIT: Update has finished, pool is running on the new daemon Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: