Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:00:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any way blockchain technology could make cellphone carriers irrelevant?  (Read 887 times)
SpontaneousDream (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:37:28 PM

Just wondering if this could somehow be possible in the future. No idea how this would work, I'm just majorly speculating. Could a DAC somehow do this?

I came across this on the front page of Reddit today:

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/28js13/tmobiles_ceo_went_off_last_night_and_said_att_and/

and was reminded of how much these greedy cellphone companies completely (in the words of T-Mobile's CEO) rape their customers of money.

I would LOVE to live in a world where the blockchain somehow makes these companies totally irrelevant. Witnessing their downfall would be very satisfying to me Smiley Imagine being able to buy a cheap phone and not having to worry at all about data, charges, plans, etc (while at the same time still being able to access the internet, make calls, text, etc).

Am I dreaming, or is possible down the road?

EDIT: Just to demonstrate how badly they're gouging us: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/shop-data-plans/single-line-data-plans.html
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 05:43:54 PM

its like saying is there away to send information without having to pay an internet service providor..

yea, 56k modem used as as fax machine.

unless you are going to build cellphone towers and position them across the planet. you kinda have to rely on cellphone netowrk companies.

what you should come to realise is that cellphone companies are 'becoming' redundant. think wifi think skype
the only pivot i can see is satalite phones or the old C.B radio's for area's that you dont want to have to deploy lots of wi-fi repeaters

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
BTFjmwn

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:26:52 PM

Wifi, Internet, wireless cell technology, Bitcoin are all synergistically related - especially if you want mobility. Also, don't forget that the Bitcoin guru's talk about remittance, were users can have a bank in their cellphone anywhere in the world where there is Internet or cell connectivity. This cell phone bank doesn't work without wifi + Internet or wireless cell technology. Ignorance here is not bliss, but will continue archaic ways of life. Get with the program!!!
greenlion

Activity: 667
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 06:58:00 PM

It could revolutionize the friction of paying for service in such a way that service could potentially be seamlessly provided by a massively decentralized infrastructure owned by completely independent operators monetizing seamlessly through the device itself.
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:31:33 AM

Unlikely as the blockchain is not designed to handle the massive amounts of data that cell phone carriers handle.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:24:36 AM

S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:27:22 AM

Are you saying you want your private conversations stored publicly on blockchain?

PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:39:03 AM

Mobile phone network is hardware infrastructure, blockchain is software protocol. You cannot access the network without the interface. We could make mobile carriers redundant if we have global free wifi, then that would just shift the choke point to broadband providers, which is more or less the same type of corporations.
Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:45:40 AM

Mobile phone network is hardware infrastructure, blockchain is software protocol. You cannot access the network without the interface. We could make mobile carriers redundant if we have global free wifi, then that would just shift the choke point to broadband providers, which is more or less the same type of corporations.

This... And wifi isn't really a magic bullet for all data communications...

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:32:08 AM

Nor are blockchain magic bullets for solving random problems, especially problems in no way related to distributed consensus.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:48:23 AM

Nor are blockchain magic bullets for solving random problems, especially problems in no way related to distributed consensus.

LOL  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

On a side note, didn't Google buy plane drones so that they give "free" wifi?

By "free" I mean they want to control all your browsing habits.
Ludi

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:51:57 AM

I have absolutely no idea how you think the blockchain could be used to make phone companies obsolete, or do you just mean make a decentralized phone network?

rext

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:03:04 AM

interesting, as in the concept of decentralized phone network.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:48:55 PM

LOL  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

On a side note, didn't Google buy plane drones so that they give "free" wifi?

By "free" I mean they want to control all your browsing habits.

Google provides "free" internet access so it can encourage people to use it's services more, generating more ad revenue for them.

Google's products are backed by google (duh), however there is not an entity that backs bitcoin, so there is no one that could finance the infrastructure for cell phones.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: