Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 06:15:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: who wants more bitcoin expansion locally + a job  (Read 3672 times)
franky1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4533

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 10:33:19 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2014, 10:54:24 PM by franky1

BitPay? They may or may not go for the pricing depending on whether it's cheaper than just them using credit cards. Is there some other way to do this that won't involve a monthly fee?

i too hate that about bitpay. they with one hand try to say they search round for the best possible exchanges for the lowest price(so they say), and then with the other hand charge merchants a premium.

id far prefer bitpay to just use average price (knowing they can skim a little off the top for their own costs) and make it so that when merchants want $10, the btc price shows an amount that will ensure the merchant gets the whole $10, and not $9.90.

after all thats how circle intends to do things. they dont get fee's from the merchant, they profit on the price differences of the average, vs the lowest priced exchange they have access to. customers/merchants just wont see that part

EG
Bitcoin average $595

BTC-E $588
Rock Trading 599.80 USD
Vircurex 625.00 USD
Crypto-Trade 611.82 USD
Vault of Satoshi    605.00 USD

say they used the average and a merchant had a customers basket total of $595 (coincidence for no-math-required-example)
bitpay shows 1BTC price.. customer is happy as thats the average.

then bitpay behind the scenes sold the BTC on vircurex and got $625 (5% profit) and ensured the merchant got all $595 in their bank.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:00:32 PM

a job.. in reality, involves getting off the sofa and doing work to earn your income. .. just thought you should know that
Oh damn really?! I had no idea, that sounds awful! Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely avoid jobs in that case!

Your title is still wrong by the way, this pursuit of yours still does not qualify as a job. Words have meanings, we ought to respect them else language becomes useless.

Now if you want to front me some money and offer a weekly or bi-weekly wage for doing this work, I would be interested and you could actually call it a job without misrepresenting yourself.

thats called contracted employment.

a job is not limited to that.. self employed people have jobs, entrepreuners have jobs, zero-hour contractors hav jobs.. but each are not contracted employee's

secondly fronting you money!!! again you dont get what a job is..
try working in mcdonalds and ask for your wage upfront
try some freelance gardening, wash someone car and ask for money upfront.

seriously..
why do people think they can get money for nothing these days!!!

Have you seen how much the US pays out in earned income credit each year? Money for nothing is an institution in the US now.

Money has been nothing for many years just paper with a King or queen on it and most banks are running out of it quicker than they can print it. Come 10 years money will be worthless and cryptos will create the way of taking place of normal fiat. And banks are already considering to stop printing money and just have accounts with Finger print access and token access and use to pay for stuff and one corporate company already coming up with the equipment to make this happen and have shops with no money in only other than machines that use finger print and other tec in a way like the contract-less debit cards

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:04:30 PM

another option, is to be the payment processor for your town.

if you have access to some nice prices. you put on your own payment tool onto the tablet that when a merchant shows a FIAT total, your reply to the App is a btc price (you calculated in a profit margin) and customers deposit their bitcoins.
you sell the bitcoin you then pay the merchant the exact FIAT they requested (you keeping the profit margin)

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
btcbug

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:05:30 AM

looking for the best tablet has to be functional

really good wifi/browser speeds and good touch/gesture sensitivity.. but ofcourse the more you go up the price the more it would eat into a 'reasonable' fee to charge the merchants, meaning less labour charge for you.

so keep searching.

their may come a point where there is enough interested people with x amount of semi interested merchants to get tiger/overstock to do some discount. maybe even get jgarzik (who works for bitpay) to program some ISO's with training video's and the bitpay app, to help make the consultation /training with merchant as easy as pie.

Threw the question out there: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=658623.0

According to these guys the Nexus 7 is the best budget: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/tablets/3412038/10-best-budget-tablets-2014/

Reasonable price at Tigerdirect $179.99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9083380&CatId=6957

4/5 review at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inch-Black-Tablet/dp/B00DVFLJKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403222498&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+7
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:30:44 AM

Had a simliar idea except that instead of selling them a tablet, you let them use their own machine.
You act as a bitcoin consultant , get them setup and maybe submit their name to the local press,etc.
Maybe a website listing, but you can package it as "pr" + consulting and get paid to just introduce btc.

I have too many other projects going on but would be good opportunity for someone.

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 12:30:48 AM

Come 10 years money will be worthless and cryptos will create the way of taking place of normal fiat. And banks are already considering to stop printing money and just have accounts with Finger print access and token access and use to pay for stuff and one corporate company already coming up with the equipment to make this happen and have shops with no money in only other than machines that use finger print and other tec in a way like the contract-less debit cards
Ahh, fingerprint-verified wealth-based valuation of human beings, the true pathway to corporate neo-fascism. A world where your worth is determined entirely by your corporate owner. Combine with RFID implants at birth so they can track your location globally, finally they'll get slavery back.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:35:00 AM

in my original brainfart i was thinking just a basic unbranded $50 tablet with $50(few hours)-$100(day) consultation/training fee, but i left it open for anyoneto use their own towns economic status to decide the costs.

EG beverly hills, nexus 7/ipad + $500 consultation
standard mundane boring town.. my price example Cheesy

franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:43:26 AM

Had a simliar idea except that instead of selling them a tablet, you let them use their own machine.
You act as a bitcoin consultant , get them setup and maybe submit their name to the local press,etc.
Maybe a website listing, but you can package it as "pr" + consulting and get paid to just introduce btc.

I have too many other projects going on but would be good opportunity for someone.

most grocery stores dont have an inhouse (store use) tablet. and some of the objections i had was "so we have to buy our own phone/tablet"

hense my brainfart included a tablet as a "essential-gimmick"

but each to their own, you can start with the setup package of a basic tablet+halfday consult. then offer downgrade if tablet not required or upgrade for extra training/support/better brand tablet..

and ofcourse each package has free PR coverage from local news (if media find it interesting/newsworthy)

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:44:21 AM

franky1, Thanks for the effort, and accuracy matters:
+ a job
Calling "+ extra income" or several other options would be much more accurate than "a job".

franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:49:31 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2014, 01:12:51 AM by franky1

+ a job
Calling "+ extra income" or several other options would be much more accurate than "a job".

saying extra income to me is like saying here have free money, stay sat on your ass.  Grin

but when people have to actually walk to businesses and actually do some work.. i call that a job

job=work..

whether it is freelance, employed, contracted or not. its still a job..
i did not say i wanted to EMPLOYE anyone (me manager, you slave by contract)

for instance, a handy man that works for himself, recently done a job at my neighbours house to fix up her garden
for instance, i asked the handy man what else he does, he said "well i do an odd job here, an odd job there, i keep busy"

a job is a task that generally receives an agreed payment.

contracted employment. can be a job, but a job is not limited to contracted employment

just for laughs and giggles:
but if you really want a contract job with targets and set income.. here:
contract: if you sell a setup package and consult with a merchant to completion, your set wage is the consultation fee. there is no minimum target, you are free to do as much as you like or as little. but by doing nothing you get no wage. making the contract null and void. now id like your left hand to sign one line as being your manager, and your right hand to sign the other line as the employee. and ill leave your left hand to tell your right hand what it should do next

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:01:52 AM

+ a job

saying extra income to me is like saying here have free money, stay sat on your ass.  Grin

but when people have to actually walk to businesses and actually do some work.. i call that a job

job=work..

whether it is freelance, employed, contracted or not. its still a job..
i did not say i wanted to EMPLOYE anyone (me manager, you slave by contract)

for instance, a handy man that works for himself, recently done a job at my neighbours house to fix up her garden
for instance, i asked the handy man what else he does, he said "well i do an odd job here, an odd job there, i keep busy"

a job is a task that generally receives an agreed payment.

contracted employment. can be a job, but a job is not limited to contracted employment

Interesting.

you want over-generalize the word "job" here... but when it comes
to other things like "goxing" you want to over-specify
and say it only applies to the actual Mt gox.

I guess that's what happens when you have too many Bitcoins...
you get bored and start becoming the language police  Tongue

franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:10:40 AM

Interesting.

you want over-generalize the word "job" here... but when it comes
to other things like "goxing" you want to over-specify
and say it only applies to the actual Mt gox.

I guess that's what happens when you have too many Bitcoins...
you get bored and start becoming the language police  Tongue

nah its just when people start getting to working age they start to know that a job is not limited to employee contracts.

EG DPR: "i have a little job for you" .. Hitman: "who, when and how do you want it done"

as for goxxing..
a goxxing is not a zhuo tong, nor is it a pirate theft.. if i went around the community and asked who got goxxed, everyone will instantly refer to the mtgox debacle.. trying to generalise something specific, and trying to specify something generalised is not my problem.. its common sense, and a problem for others if they cant deal with common sense

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 05:08:10 PM

So anyway, back on topic....

Ive thought many times about doing this very thing. I just wish I was a salesman. I couldnt sell ice to a guy in hell. Sad

maybe you can stick around ('watch' this topic) as others who hav some true desire to get shops near their home to accept bitcoin can hlp you come up with some easy to use tips. even a few of you may wish to develop a leaflet that explains bitcoin. or even one of you be an all access skype/email consultant that businesses can go to where if it leads to a sale, that remote consultant gets a slice of your labour fee as a thanks.

take it any direction you please.

AmDD:
how many shops in your town do you personally have that you think will benefit from adopting bitcoin.
how many of those have you even asked if they accept bitcoin.
do you know enough about bitcoin to explain it man to man (dont think of it as a sales pitch)
do you know how bitpay works?

There are quite a few here that could benefit from Bitcoin. There is one restaurant who recently started accepting Dogecoin, actually.
I have personally asked very few if they accept it.
Yes, I understand it enough to explain it to someone else.
I know the principle but Ive never been on the merchant side of it to know all the details.

Im a pretty quiet and shy person which makes selling anything tough. I did email one of the local shops yesterday, explaining Bitcoin and why they should adopt it. The reply was better than I expected but nothing for sure yet. They are interested in learning about it so thats   a plus. I also foundout a friends uncle owns a bar and grill in town. Im going to see if I can have my buddy talk to him about Bitcoin.

A thought I had about the tablet thing, you can find used smart phones for pretty cheap here. The screen isnt as big but it could work just the same. They could either get a data plan for it or just setup wifi in the shop and not have a monthly fee. Something like a GS3 is probably $30 used...

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:08:08 PM

There are a lot of us who have this idea/concept but in different variations.

I made this post a few weeks back in reply to someone inquiring about doing just this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/26tbwj/how_do_you_convince_a_local_bar_to_start/chu9krc?context=3

thats all good.

my inspiration was funnily enough reading and rebuttling some weed smokers utopian dream of asking for $4.5 billion from th community to build his bitcoin town... yea over half the current market cap.. for one town.

and i calculated that if it cost $200 per business to set them up. it only cost $100k to set up 500 businesses, making several towns bitcoin friendly for a decimal amount 0.0025% of what that crazy guy was dreaming of

franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:25:06 PM

Oh, I remember him very well, lol!

I guess in my position I really do believe in Bitcoin. I feel me putting down money (I don't pay retail for tablets, or anything for that matter) will come back to me later in one form or another. Spreading awareness is good enough for me (for now). With that said, I buy tablets for business's I frequent or support. Additionally, I've been refused a free tablet and a company would be more than fine to buy a ~$100 tablet as a business expense to save $XXXXX.

in some cases if you organise a training day/setup/consult with a business they usually can pre-pay and then that gives you the funds to get the tablet. you can even make it so that the merchant buys $50-$100 of bitcoins and uses them to order the tablet themselves thus introducing them to bitcoins. then you just turn up a few days later to do the setup / training. and get the labour fee..

it all depends on how your area deals with consultations, some countries naturally pre-pay. some post-pay.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:11:23 PM

ok guys enough sitting on sofa's complaining of 51%ing

who seriously wants shops/businesses in their town to accept bitcoin and they want a job at the same time?

so here is the plan.
stage 1 if you are seriously interested, you know about bitcoin enough to know how to use bitpay, your good at sales pitches and you have lots of shops, stores, businesses and services near you that you simply wish would take bitcoin. keep reading.

what will happen is an IRC chat will be set up where those truly interested can come to talk and thrash out idea's.. but before that, here is the main idea.

2) we all collectively seek out tigerdirect/overstock and find the cheapest workable tablet PC that will run the bitpay app and maybe a exchange service. we then contact the supplier to see if they do any bulk discount.

3) next is to look at your area and see what is the average fair 'consultation fee' is.

4) then start going around to all of those businesses and tell them that for (consultation fee+tablet price) you can set them up with a working tablet PC that has been set up with bitpay for that business to start accepting bitcoin and includes X hours of consultation/training.

5) setup a meeting for the following week where you take the fee, buy the discounted tablet (week delay in meeting to get tablet prepped) and then set them up

there are no contracted employment, no boss, no upfront costs. no multi level bullshit. just direct marketing. simply put the merchant prepays your labour and the tablet costs.

its the simplest business model that the title describes.

i am not the boss of this, this is all for you lot to organise,

now, discuss

This would help.  I would think that Coinbase, Bitpay, and a few others are already out there doing this...  As much as most people like to hate on the Bitcoin Foundation, I feel like they should be approaching the larger companies in the world to encourage them to adopt BTC
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:26:28 PM

This would help.  I would think that Coinbase, Bitpay, and a few others are already out there doing this...  As much as most people like to hate on the Bitcoin Foundation, I feel like they should be approaching the larger companies in the world to encourage them to adopt BTC

BitPay and Coinbase are actively doing this.

I've contacted BitPay to work on an affiliate program. They currently have "Integration Gurus" that you can apply for but I kind of pitched the idea of making this an international affiliate type setup. People would have to be trained and/or pass a basic knowledge test. Additionally, these people would be the "face" of bitcoin to a new merchant. That means quality control of these Integration Gurus needs to be very tight.

Excellent.

Nothing like good old fashioned Capitalism to move things forward. :-)

franky1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:09:41 PM

This would help.  I would think that Coinbase, Bitpay, and a few others are already out there doing this...  As much as most people like to hate on the Bitcoin Foundation, I feel like they should be approaching the larger companies in the world to encourage them to adopt BTC

BitPay and Coinbase are actively doing this.

I've contacted BitPay to work on an affiliate program. They currently have "Integration Gurus" that you can apply for but I kind of pitched the idea of making this an international affiliate type setup. People would have to be trained and/or pass a basic knowledge test. Additionally, these people would be the "face" of bitcoin to a new merchant. That means quality control of these Integration Gurus needs to be very tight.

good stuff this is what i want the community to be doing, getting involved and doing stuff

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:20:10 PM

Any success? So far I've contacted a few local businesses and 2 are looking into Bitcoin. Nothing set in stone yet but the ball is starting to roll (ever so slightly Smiley)

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 16, 2014, 10:33:37 PM

Any success? So far I've contacted a few local businesses and 2 are looking into Bitcoin. Nothing set in stone yet but the ball is starting to roll (ever so slightly Smiley)

EXECELLENT!

I have a big announcement coming soon about organizational efforts.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: