Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:24:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you like the new site fonts?
Yes, I love them!
No, the other fonts were better.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubitex: In-person Bitcoin exchange [EARLY BETA!] [STOCK AVAILABLE]  (Read 36538 times)
ScriptGadget

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 07:18:50 PM

satoshi developed bitcoin on a windows machine...

Nobody's perfect.  Wink

I hope GLBSE will support Linux soon, I would love to buy UBX, but trusting a Windows machine just isn't an option for me. I keep the IE test laptop off the network and in a closet where it can't be a danger to itself or others.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cuddlefish (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 09:21:54 PM

Nobody's perfect.  Wink

I hope GLBSE will support Linux soon, I would love to buy UBX, but trusting a Windows machine just isn't an option for me. I keep the IE test laptop off the network and in a closet where it can't be a danger to itself or others.
It supports Linux.
demonofelru

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 09:24:44 PM

Nobody's perfect.  Wink

If you have the dependencies it should work? Come on Windows isn't my favorite OS either but it's not THAT bad I'm of the belief it is actually inherently more secure then OS X or Linux.   I know a lot of people think it BS but I believe Security through obscurity.

Names do not matter; however, if you insist...id...
ScriptGadget

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 09:25:28 PM

Ah, I see it now. I misunderstood "If you're using Windows you can get started by going here" on the homepage.

Thanks for the tip. I'll grab some shares when the exchange opens on Monday. Smiley
ScriptGadget

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 09:42:54 PM

If you have the dependencies it should work? Come on Windows isn't my favorite OS either but it's not THAT bad I'm of the belief it is actually inherently more secure then OS X or Linux.   I know a lot of people think it BS but I believe Security through obscurity.

Yeah, Cuddlefish set me straight. I missed the link for the python script. Great idea.

As for Windows. It's just not an option for me, myself. I haven't used anything but Linux for anything that mattered in over ten years now and I've had no security issues. YMMV. I do have a Windows Vista machine here for testing and Windows 7 machine at my day job which they gave me simply because they wanted a document edited in native docx with no formatting changes. I kid you not.

I also have a Mac Pro at work and a Mac Book here at home. My little Ubuntu/Asus laptop outperforms both Apple and Microsoft  for boot time, availability (in both senses) of apps, and ease of use. I'm sure some of that is just familiarity, I know everything going on my laptop down to the kernel drivers and BIOS. (I do embedded Linux work for a living). But I used to be a Windows developer too, and I left that camp after getting sick of chasing Redmond's tail. I still do some cross platform development when I have to, but I stick to Linux as my home machine. I've never regretted it.

On the other hand... the Linux audio subsystem sucks golfballs through a brick. I'm just sayin'

Sorry that's about 75% off topic.

Yay UBX! Smiley

cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 10:24:02 PM

Logo!
Anonymous

May 01, 2011, 03:27:06 AM

The logo is full of win.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:10:07 AM

They could geolocate drop points so that the buyers and sellers don't even have to meet.

I'm trying to understand, how does the cash get exchanged if they don't meet?

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:10:55 AM

You pick up the cash dropped there.

HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
May 01, 2011, 04:13:14 AM

I hope that you will support also Kilometre Cheesy

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:16:19 AM

I hope that you will support also Kilometre Cheesy

Why? Imperial units make a lot more sense, since we're hosted out of the US. it's not that hard to convert.

No, don't worry, we'll support both.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:17:48 AM

OK, what protects the cash while I'm on the way to the location, and the Bitcoin buyer has made the drop?

PLATO

Activity: 493

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:20:07 AM

I'm crossposting this, from here, because it's pertinent:

Quote from: PLATO
bitcoinex - I'm not as pissed at you as most people in this thread are. There was a $4.15 trade on 'gox this morning, personally that seems pretty inflated to me.Exchanges are the obvious weak points in the bitcoin economy, a motivated entity could take down all the exchanges if they devoted enough effort.

Instead of squabbling let's integrate some of the cool stuff that the Cypherpunkd podcast talks about, and create a much less centralized exchange network.

Is there open source exchange software, for users who want to create their own exchanges? Does it work well? Is there a way to sync it with the web of trust, so users can have some measure of confidence in new exchanges?

Users should have good ways to contribute to local exchange and trade if they're unwilling to meet face to face - e.g. they can mail or receive cashiers' checks or money orders.

We can extend the OTC web of trust (or rather, import it) into the physical realm for such transactions. The 'Black and Yellow pages' mentioned in one of those podcasts seemed to embody this idea (note that it's not fully implemented yet)

There was something else called Open Transactions that seemed to be a standard for online transactions, including but not limited to Bitcoins - I haven't looked into that yet.

I don't know if bitcoinex is being a dick or if he is trying to help Bitcoin or both, but this at least should drive some great discussion!

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:50:47 AM

OK, what protects the cash while I'm on the way to the location, and the Bitcoin buyer has made the drop?

The usual idea is that the cash is either hidden, or simply placed into a public locker with two keys.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:55:34 AM

The usual idea is that the cash is either hidden, or simply placed into a public locker with two keys.

OK, thanks for the answers.  Smiley
Coinpal had a nice run for a while, I just read that thread earlier today; Would be nice to live in a world where that could continue.

cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 04:59:42 AM

143 shares are taken! Congratulations to those who've gotten in already. There's still time!
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 05:19:20 AM

I don't think you need to tout, you've got a good idea ... just run with it.

DotNemesis

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 05:24:16 AM

DO NOT BUY UBITEX SHARES!

The evaluation for the business is crazy! there is no earnings for the company yet and it doesn't even exists! its just an idea.

This is a text book example in investment what product not to buy the only way you can win is to be the one to pop the bubble (then everything goes downhill).
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 05:26:13 AM

I'll buy when I see two exchange nodes pop up on a map.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

View Profile
May 01, 2011, 05:34:46 AM

... its just an idea...

Bitcoins was "just an idea" when you could easily buy them for less than 1 cent each.
Most people here are adults, thanks for trying to save us.  Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: