Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:25:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you like the new site fonts?
Yes, I love them!
No, the other fonts were better.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubitex: In-person Bitcoin exchange [EARLY BETA!] [STOCK AVAILABLE]  (Read 36523 times)
cuddlefish (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 08:27:00 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2011, 09:20:50 AM by cuddlefish

Ubitex is early beta software. Please report any and all bugs in this thread.

Person A and Person B register Ubitex accounts. They enter their addresses (Or rough location). This will never ever be made public.

Person A puts in a sell order for 50 BTC at 1.5 USD each, with a Max Distance of 50 miles. Person A pays a 0.5 BTC listing fee to Ubitex.

Person B then puts in a buy order for 50 BTC at 1.5 USD each, with a Max Distance of 25 miles. (Person B does not pay a listing fee, as it is a buy order.)

If Person A and Person B's locations are less than 25 miles away, the moment Person B's order is processed, both Person A and Person B receive emails that their orders have been filled. They can then communicate through Ubitex with each other. They can then arrange a meeting to exchange the Bitcoins.

When the trade is completed, they can rate each other.

Ideas? Suggestions?

In the future Ubitex may allow the exchange of things other than Bitcoins.
http://ubitex.org
Development server: http://zode.ubitex.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 08:29:40 PM

I like the idea, could work pretty well.
I'd assume you could just put an ad on craigslist but I like this better and there shouldn't be any issues on the price.
I'd also like to see the option to add more locations to trade.
For example if I live in X city but work in Y and I go to Z every weekend to go fishing.
Maybe use zipcodes to keep it simple.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 09:27:08 PM

Suggestion: when given an address or location, add a small random offset (like 2 miles) and store that instead. That way exact locations are safe even if your database is compromised.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 09:29:58 PM

I'll be one of your first users.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 09:51:01 PM

They could geolocate drop points so that the buyers and sellers don't even have to meet.

cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 10:19:43 PM

Suggestion: when given an address or location, add a small random offset (like 2 miles) and store that instead. That way exact locations are safe even if your database is compromised.

I'm using Google's geocoding API, so anything you can put into Google Maps will work here. Share what you're comfortable sharing, from zipcode down to apartment number.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2347

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 01:22:10 AM

Basic concept is sound. If the implementation is well-thought out it should have a lot of utility.

Kind of like a geographic co-located, OTC, trade exchange. Neat.

Anonymous

April 27, 2011, 01:27:03 AM

Very nice. You dont have to share your exact location which is helpful.
cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 03:55:52 AM

Okay! We're making progress. I have a mockup and a lot of code done. We are set to release within the week!
bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 04:04:33 AM

Okay! We're making progress. I have a mockup and a lot of code done. We are set to release within the week!
Can't wait. This sounds like an interesting idea!

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
malditonuke

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 04:19:09 AM

very interested
cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 04:24:35 AM

The mockup can be found https://gomockingbird.com/mockingbird/#jl2r6mp/EW9ozb if anyone's interested.

Also, Bitcoin donations are greatly appreciated and will go towards hosting costs, etc. as we try to get off the ground. 161eFswCmjZvijEmiEdXVCKy8EXYfybZzx

Thanks for your patience!
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 07:13:41 AM

This sounds good. Maybe the listing price should only be paid if the sell order is fulfilled? That would encourage new users to start using the service, especially when it's just taking off.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 27, 2011, 07:33:03 AM

This sounds good. Maybe the listing price should only be paid if the sell order is fulfilled? That would encourage new users to start using the service, especially when it's just taking off.

Yeah, a lot of people will be shooting in the dark at first so it won't be worth much until you get critical mass.

Like MtGox did in the beginning. Offer free service, get user base, charge fee, people keep coming because that's where all the people are.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Keefe

Activity: 681
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 08:04:55 AM

Hopefully I notice when it goes live, as I am interested in using this service.

cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 03:04:59 PM

Good idea, I'll probably do that. Thanks.
cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 05:45:48 PM

Okay, things are getting formalized.

There are no listing fees. However, once a match has been found, the seller must pay 0.5 BTC in order to communicate with the buyer. This will be handled through MtGox's Merchant Interface. The buyer will not be notified until the seller has paid, and the buyer's order will remain un-filled.

Thoughts?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 27, 2011, 05:49:05 PM

good plan

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
April 28, 2011, 03:50:05 PM

We're quite close! There'll probably be a demo in time for the SF meetup.
cuddlefish (OP)

View Profile
April 30, 2011, 04:50:08 AM
Last edit: April 30, 2011, 06:04:33 AM by cuddlefish

Ubitex is now publically traded on the Global Bitcoin Stock Exchange. (http://glbse.com/)

1000 shares are currently available. As a shareholder, you get a portion of the profits that come from listing fees proportional to the number of shares you own.

Ubitex is launching officially on 5/7/11. A private beta for all shareholders will be available up to 3 days before the public launch.

Our ticker symbol is "UBX" (NOT "ubitex"!). The 1000 shares are available for just 1 BTC each. As Ubitex takes a 0.5 BTC profit for each trade made, your investment will most likely turn into profit within 1 month or less!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: