Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:20:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bolivia Bans Bitcoins!  (Read 6332 times)
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 09:52:49 PM

I was just about to post it too...  This is sad their immigrant workers wont be able to take the advantage of bitcoin, but it is not going to impact Bitcoin as such.

Exactly my view too, minor countries banning bitcoin will only hurt their citizens, and will cause no harm to bitcoin.

In fact in the long to medium run it could even benefit bitcoin because people may try to get rid of these currencies being afraid of a collapse. As such measures are a sign of a weak currency being scared of bitcoin. Also it might once again stir up some discussion about bitcoin being a currency or not.
Cicero2.0

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

★☆★Bitin.io★☆★

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 10:17:25 PM

I though bitcoin banned Bolivia.  Grin

This needs some clarification obviously but isn't a major issue either way. Bolivians will find a way to get bitcoin if they want it. This makes it more valuable there.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 11:47:09 PM

By any chance, are you Peruvian?

Peruvians view Bolivians the way *most* Americans view Mexicans.

That is, not in the highest esteem.
It's fun to ask Peruvians about pisco, especially what they think of Chilean pisco.
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:13:46 AM

Crap.  There go coffee prices!
smashingpumpkin

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:44:19 AM

From the same Bolivian legislators who have also wisely made it illegal to have sex with a woman and her daughter at the same time.

Ah, Bolivia, the home of the llama, the dumbest of all pack animals. The country still hoping to build a tunnel to the Pacific Ocean. The country where driving a car is tantamount to suicide. Unfortunately, that has not resulted in the extermination of the Bolivians, because there are very few (functional) cars there, the reason being that whenever a car has a mechanical problem it becomes permanently inoperable due to the absence of anyone intelligent enough to be able to fix a car.

To their credit, they were eventually able to kill Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, although it did take over 1,000 of them to do it.

Ah, Bolivia, the only country in which McDonalds is unable to operate, because the concept of a restaurant is too complex for their bird-like brains. Where airplanes are illegal, because, you know, it's impossible to fly. That's logical right: it's impossible to fly therefore airplanes should be illegal. Very logical. Based on that logical insight they were invited to submit a team to the world math olympiad, but that proved impossible because they were unable to find any Bolivians who knew what math was. So, instead they had a tortilla eating olympiad in La Paz.

La Paz, interestingly enough has a few buildings which are over 1 story in height, presumably built by foreigners. The Bolivian architects specialize in constructing soccer fields, because nothing is more important than soccer, and they are safe. Safe in the sense that noone has been killed by a collapsing soccer field, the soccer fields, being, well, flat. Some goalies have been injured, however, by falling goal crossbars, so that is their current focus: improving crossbar joining technology to avoid goalie head injuries. This is very important because the soccer field is the most important part of every Bolivian city. It's the law there must at least one soccer field every 5 blocks.

The Bolivians like soccer because it is simple to understand: kick ball. At one point some Americans tried to teach them baseball, but that didn't work, since it involves using the hands and legs at the same time and other complexities like requiring the use of tools. The Americans tried tying a glove on a llama to demonstrate that animals, and by extension people, could indeed use tools, but the indios remained convinced tool use in sports was impossible so they made baseball and any other sport utilizing tools illegal, because they are impossible.

Bolivia used to be a much larger country. In fact, at one time all almost all of South America was "Bolivia", but the Bolivians kept starting wars and losing them. Every time they lost, they would lose more territory. Other times they just gave away territory. For example, around 1900 it was discovered that a Bolivian region called Acre had a lot of rubber trees in it, so Brazil told the president of Bolivia, who, like all Bolivians was an idiot, that they would like to buy Acre. The president said, "How much?" The Brazilians knowing how stupid the Bolivians are, said, "How about 1 horse?" The Bolivian president said, "Hah, what do you think I am? An idiot? I have lots of horses." Then the Brazilians said, "O, but this horse is perfectly white." The Bolivian president not having any white horses readily agreed to that deal.

Here's another story about the same guy, Presidente Mariano Melgarejo. Melgarejo means "stupid" in Indian language. In 1870, Germany invaded France. Melgarejo was infuriated because he had heard how beautiful and elegant Paris was. So, he ordered his top general to send the army to France and defend Paris. The general complained that the army would have to swim across the Atlantic Ocean. Melgarejo angrily replied "Don't be stupid! We will go around the ocean and take a short cut through the brush!"

Anyway, its a good thing they have banned bitcoins because you know crypto currency is impossible. It involves math.

By any chance, are you Peruvian?

Peruvians view Bolivians the way *most* Americans view Mexicans.

That is, not in the highest esteem.

Are there any Bolivians on this forum? 
sj2199

Activity: 797

BBOD fast, non-custodial & transparent Exchange

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:48:15 AM

How many countries have banned bitcoins?

amitrwt

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:19:29 AM

How many countries have banned bitcoins?
Look into the link below . If that helps.
bitlegal.io

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
↑ UpDown.BT ↓  Bet on Gold/Oil/Currencies like a Boss ↑ [Thread] ↓
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
amitrwt

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:27:36 AM

I like the title of the Post shared on Panampost which says " Bolivia Not Revolutionary Enough to Tolerate Bitcoin " this is exactly what i think , If i'm not wrong there GDP was 27.04 billion USD in year 2012 and bitcoin's market capitalization will surpass that in upcoming years .

Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:38:49 AM

From the same Bolivian legislators who have also wisely made it illegal to have sex with a woman and her daughter at the same time.

Ah, Bolivia, the home of the llama, the dumbest of all pack animals. The country still hoping to build a tunnel to the Pacific Ocean. The country where driving a car is tantamount to suicide. Unfortunately, that has not resulted in the extermination of the Bolivians, because there are very few (functional) cars there, the reason being that whenever a car has a mechanical problem it becomes permanently inoperable due to the absence of anyone intelligent enough to be able to fix a car.

To their credit, they were eventually able to kill Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, although it did take over 1,000 of them to do it.

Ah, Bolivia, the only country in which McDonalds is unable to operate, because the concept of a restaurant is too complex for their bird-like brains. Where airplanes are illegal, because, you know, it's impossible to fly. That's logical right: it's impossible to fly therefore airplanes should be illegal. Very logical. Based on that logical insight they were invited to submit a team to the world math olympiad, but that proved impossible because they were unable to find any Bolivians who knew what math was. So, instead they had a tortilla eating olympiad in La Paz.

La Paz, interestingly enough has a few buildings which are over 1 story in height, presumably built by foreigners. The Bolivian architects specialize in constructing soccer fields, because nothing is more important than soccer, and they are safe. Safe in the sense that noone has been killed by a collapsing soccer field, the soccer fields, being, well, flat. Some goalies have been injured, however, by falling goal crossbars, so that is their current focus: improving crossbar joining technology to avoid goalie head injuries. This is very important because the soccer field is the most important part of every Bolivian city. It's the law there must at least one soccer field every 5 blocks.

The Bolivians like soccer because it is simple to understand: kick ball. At one point some Americans tried to teach them baseball, but that didn't work, since it involves using the hands and legs at the same time and other complexities like requiring the use of tools. The Americans tried tying a glove on a llama to demonstrate that animals, and by extension people, could indeed use tools, but the indios remained convinced tool use in sports was impossible so they made baseball and any other sport utilizing tools illegal, because they are impossible.

Bolivia used to be a much larger country. In fact, at one time all almost all of South America was "Bolivia", but the Bolivians kept starting wars and losing them. Every time they lost, they would lose more territory. Other times they just gave away territory. For example, around 1900 it was discovered that a Bolivian region called Acre had a lot of rubber trees in it, so Brazil told the president of Bolivia, who, like all Bolivians was an idiot, that they would like to buy Acre. The president said, "How much?" The Brazilians knowing how stupid the Bolivians are, said, "How about 1 horse?" The Bolivian president said, "Hah, what do you think I am? An idiot? I have lots of horses." Then the Brazilians said, "O, but this horse is perfectly white." The Bolivian president not having any white horses readily agreed to that deal.

Here's another story about the same guy, Presidente Mariano Melgarejo. Melgarejo means "stupid" in Indian language. In 1870, Germany invaded France. Melgarejo was infuriated because he had heard how beautiful and elegant Paris was. So, he ordered his top general to send the army to France and defend Paris. The general complained that the army would have to swim across the Atlantic Ocean. Melgarejo angrily replied "Don't be stupid! We will go around the ocean and take a short cut through the brush!"

Anyway, its a good thing they have banned bitcoins because you know crypto currency is impossible. It involves math.

I lol'd. Hard.

VeroPossumus

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 08:51:10 AM

How do they control if people stil use it or not?
amitrwt

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:03:38 AM

How do they control if people stil use it or not?
the truth is they can't..! but if they get to know about it then they might do something..!

Icardi09

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 09:10:03 AM

nobody cares
i never meet bolivians here in bitcointalk
i thought only few people use Bitcoin there
but usually after gov banned bitcoin, many people will know about it and interesting about bitcoin
Blinken

Activity: 338
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:40:02 AM

For a Bolivian to be here, they would have to know how to use a computer. Also, they would have to leave Bolivia in order to find a network port to plug into.

What are you? A science fiction author or something?

Bitcoin ♦♦♦ Trust in Mathematics, Not Bankers ♦♦♦
jc01480

Activity: 854

Nope..

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:41:58 AM

For a Bolivian to be here, they would have to know how to use a computer. Also, they would have to leave Bolivia in order to find a network port to plug into.

What are you? A science fiction author or something?

They have like, three IP addresses, right?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 12:19:13 PM

People keep talking about this like Bolivia banned bitcoins.

Misleading title is misleading.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
virtualmaster

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:21:27 PM

They were a lot of stories that a Central-bank from one country or another banned Bitcoin.
What does it mean concretely after my interpretation ?
(I am not a lawyer but I have studies in economy and trading.)
The Central-bank is nowhere a legal or executive organ. That would be the parliament or at least the finance minister.
I could also say also that the USD is illegal or banned but it doesn't have any compulsory consequence for anybody.
So if anybody is trading or accepting Bitcoin in a country where the Central-bank banned it, he doesn't make any illegal action just because the Central-bank says so.

However to avoid problems:
- Why should somebody exchange in fiat if he has his prices in BTC ? He can keep in BTC and spend in BTC then the Central-bank is not competent for that use.
- If somebody needs fiat then should show the fiat prices and those who are buying with BTC can use something like Bitpay. Then there is again no problem. I am not sure if it exists something like Bitpay for specific local currencies.

What can happen in worst case that the Bank will not make the clearing for a trading to exchange in fiat or will suspend the involved account.
This decision is made based on the interpretation that the involved person made an unlicensed financial transactioin what is not necessary a valid interpretation of the local law and could be fought in a court.
As Bitcoin is not considered money accepting Bitcoin is just like barter trading which is not illegal. It is like you would exchange your horse for a cattle.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 01:22:58 PM

...and nobody cares.

IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:35:26 PM

Even if this news does mean that Bolivia really banned BTC - question is, to what extent this ban could be enforced. A lot of the economy in countries like Bolivia goes on in the gray/black area. Without the gray/black economy most people there simply can not survive. The government in Bolivia certainly has a lot less effective influence on everyday life than in western countries.

Of course it would be better if they realized the positive potential of Bitcoin to grow their economy.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4532

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:51:21 PM

lock this thread, sheeple are starting to think bolivia banned bitcoins from human use.

bolivia only banned the banks themselves from handing out bitcoins.. just like baked beans and gravy..

move on with your lives

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:57:52 PM

Wow, that makes them the first country to ban Bitcoin entirely.

I knew it would be one of those Banana Republic South American countries. Their monetary systems are rapidly falling apart and they are desperate to control capital. If I was a betting man, I would be betting on them failing miserably.

Vietnam did didn't they?

I thought I remembered hearing something like that, no?

Says here on wiki too. This this incorrect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_Bitcoins_by_country
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: