Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 05:11:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MultiBit delete wallet  (Read 3311 times)
SmkeTester (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 08:47:36 PM

This has to be a dumb question but i cant find the delete wallet button.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 08:51:13 PM

This has to be a dumb question but i cant find the delete wallet button.

There is none, close the wallet, close multibit and delete the file in

- %APPDATA%\MultiBit
- ~/Library/Application Support/MultiBit/

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 08:52:41 PM

Because there is none.

You simply cannot delete a bitcoin address.  Once you create it it will last forever.  You can just abandon :-) and don't use it anymore like in advice from a post above this one.
SmkeTester (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 09:07:44 PM

Searched my C drive for "Application Support", nothing.
the wallet i want to get rid of is the one that it creates itself.
It is in the wrong location for my backups.
Its really annoying if i cant delete it, i will never use it dont ever want to put any coins in it.
monsterbitty

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2014, 09:35:34 PM

Its really annoying if i cant delete it, i will never use it dont ever want to put any coins in it.

Type %appdata% in your Run, you will get the multibit folder, just check it there and remove the wallet file from there.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2014, 10:49:44 PM

To be more precise as I wasn't perhaps in my last post.

You want to delete a bitcoin address which you have in your bitcoin wallet. Like we told you.  You cannot delete addresses.  You can create ccompletely new wallet with new address and send coins from old one to the new one. But you cannot delete bitcoin address in your wallet.  It is same for other wallet apps like Bitcoin-core or "bitcoin wallet" for Android or electrum and others.

Regards.

I suggest to back up ur wallet before you will do anything.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 09:18:42 AM

For Windows use the %APPDATA% path as suggested here:

Type %appdata% in your Run, you will get the multibit folder, just check it there and remove the wallet file from there.

Also keep in mind that "wallet" is not the same as "address" as posted here:

-snip-
To be more precise as I wasn't perhaps in my last post.

You want to delete a bitcoin address which you have in your bitcoin wallet. Like we told you.  You cannot delete addresses.  You can create ccompletely new wallet with new address and send coins from old one to the new one. But you cannot delete bitcoin address in your wallet.  It is same for other wallet apps like Bitcoin-core or "bitcoin wallet" for Android or electrum and others.

Regards.

I suggest to back up ur wallet before you will do anything.

To be more clear, there are even 2 meanings for wallet.

1 is the wallet programm/app you are using to see the information stored in your wallet file (2nd meaning).
If you delete the wallet file you delete all the private keys you need to spend your coins, DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE 100% CERTAIN THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT TO DO! Sorry for jelling Wink
Here are details about which file contains what: https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_fileDescriptions.html

If you however want to "deleted" an address, this is -as has been posted allready- not possible. Well, to be honest, there probably is a way, but that would probably require you to manually edit the file. No offence, but if you have a hard time finding the file you should not temper with (un)encrypted wallets in a text-/hexeditor.

IIRC Multibit will generate 5 addresses for every new wallet. If you want a wallet file that only contains a single address (and the belonging keys) youd probably have to edit the source and rebuild your customised MultiBit.

LYCAN

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:12:35 AM

lol go to uninstall or remove program and uninstall the wallet or go to app data delete it simple.. Smiley
SmkeTester (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 12:53:06 PM

lol go to uninstall or remove program and uninstall the wallet or go to app data delete it simple.. Smiley

If only it was so simple.
Before posting I tried deleting the files (they are in AppData\Roaming) but when I restart MultiBit it re-creates them.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 01:10:32 PM

If only it was so simple.
Before posting I tried deleting the files (they are in AppData\Roaming) but when I restart MultiBit it re-creates them.

The same addresses/keys?

SmkeTester (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:37:04 PM

The same addresses/keys?

I don't know and wont be able to check for a few hours.
But either way, is there no way to get rid of the unwanted wallet (whatever the addresses\keys)?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 03:47:45 PM

The same addresses/keys?

I don't know and wont be able to check for a few hours.
But either way, is there no way to get rid of the unwanted wallet (whatever the addresses\keys)?

Sure there is just delete the files. I would be very strange if Multibit could restore the deleted wallet. Id bet (not actually) that it just makes you a new one if no wallet is found.

Whats your goal anyway? Do you want to start MultiBit w/o a wallet?

jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 09:01:33 PM

In very early versions of MultiBit there was a delete wallet option but it proved to be dangerous.
A few people would delete their private keys and lost their bitcoin.

In the end it was safest to remove the option.

When MultiBit starts up it tries to load the 'primary wallet' (i.e the file that you chose to save to and that appears in the header of the MultiBit window).
If that fails because you've deleted it it then looks through all the backup wallets it has and tries loading them, most recent first.

If there are absolutely no wallets to load, then it creates a new one, called multibit.wallet in the user data area.
This is done for usability reasons - otherwise the user gets 'stuck' with MultiBit open with no wallet and they cannot receive bitcoins.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
SmkeTester (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 06:12:58 PM

Many thanks for the good info.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: