Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:31:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Another respected cryptographer predicts collapse in bitcoin mining  (Read 10762 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 03:57:27 PM

The only way I see botnets replacing honest miners is if a way to mine coins solo is designed that doesn't require a bitcoin client running on the system.  This would let a botnet mine coins for a specific wallet address across all their solo miners. 

Private pool?

Still I doubt even then botnets can replace honest miners.  Botnet nodes are just so weak.  CPU can't compete with GPU farms and soon even GPU won't be able to compete with FPGAs.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 04:02:24 PM

if there's one thing we've learned about these doom and gloom papers is that talk is cheap.

We have a lot of "experts"willing to throw around theories but not willing to put up the money, time, our effort to actually demonstrate their hypotheses.

If there was anything to what they have to say then they'd just take  those millions and run

What the hell are you talking about? What would you have the experts do to demonstrate their hypothesis?

ok, let me spell it out for you.

if i were smart enough to develop a way exploit Bitcoin's code, i would either sell it for millions to someone who had the resources to implement the exploit or i would do it myself.  anyone can talk but the only way to prove it would be to do it.
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:31:38 PM

if there's one thing we've learned about these doom and gloom papers is that talk is cheap.

We have a lot of "experts"willing to throw around theories but not willing to put up the money, time, our effort to actually demonstrate their hypotheses.

If there was anything to what they have to say then they'd just take  those millions and run

What the hell are you talking about? What would you have the experts do to demonstrate their hypothesis?

if i were smart enough to develop a way exploit Bitcoin's code, i would either sell it for millions to someone who had the resources to implement the exploit or i would do it myself.  anyone can talk but the only way to prove it would be to do it.

You could also try to patch the exploit, would attempting to do that indicate stupidity?

Moreover, how is this relevant to the article? They are not even talking about an exploit.

Moreover, why would an exploit be worth millions? How could you extract that much of bitcoin's value before the bitcoin price collapsed. The most straightforward way of extracting value would be shorting on bitcoinica. It would be difficult to recover millions doing this. Do you picture Bitcoinica/Mt.Gox releasing money to people who place million dollar short bets right before an attack? Even if they were willing, do they even have that much liquidity lying around?

I don't agree with these guys, but your comments seem to be off in lala land.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 06:07:54 PM

You could also try to patch the exploit, would attempting to do that indicate stupidity?

Moreover, how is this relevant to the article? They are not even talking about an exploit.

Moreover, why would an exploit be worth millions? How could you extract that much of bitcoin's value before the bitcoin price collapsed. The most straightforward way of extracting value would be shorting on bitcoinica. It would be difficult to recover millions doing this. Do you picture Bitcoinica/Mt.Gox releasing money to people who place million dollar short bets right before an attack? Even if they were willing, do they even have that much liquidity lying around?

I don't agree with these guys, but your comments seem to be off in lala land.

you're right in the sense that its impractical to extracts millions from the chain or exchanges.  but i do think there are entities out there that would pay millions to destroy Bitcoin.
Wandering Albatross

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 06:20:39 PM

Quote from: cunicula
Proof-of-work is fatally flawed and in the future alternative cryptocurrency will be based on a more sensible architecture... proof-of-stake.

Can you give an example of proof-of-stake? Not clear on what you mean.

BTC: 1JgPAC8RVeh7RXqzmeL8xt3fvYahRXL3fP
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 06:43:53 PM

[Don't get me started on Austrian economics because that is complete wackjob rubbish that asshats believe in. I'm not responding to asshats here. It is not an enjoyable use of my time.]

Neither, it is enjoyable for us "asshats" to use our time to read your rubbish. Do everyone a favor, stop posting anything at all.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 05:13:50 AM

Proof-of-work is fatally flawed and in the future alternative cryptocurrency will be based on a more sensible architecture... proof-of-stake.

Yes pretty please enlighten us ignorant posters what proof-of-stake means.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 06:56:58 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2012, 04:43:05 PM by Rassah

Yes pretty please enlighten us ignorant posters what proof-of-stake means.

It means those with the highest coin holdings (wealthiest) are the only ones able to sign blocks and transactions, being able to do it without requiring heavy work. The reasoning is that since they have the most coin wealth, they have the most to lose, and thus they won't try to screw the network, lest they crash the price of the coin and lose everything. The idea is also that they will have the most incentive to protect it.

Prof-of-stake sounds like a good idea only until you realize that it already exists, and is called USD and Federal Reserve.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 10:35:06 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2012, 10:45:13 AM by Boussac

If there was anything to what they have to say then they'd just take  those millions and run

From a quick read of the paper, it seems that the authors consider price of electricity (in USD) and exchange rate of the bitcoins (BTC/USD) to be independent variables.
This hypothesis is most certainly wrong.
However the price of electricity over time becomes a very small driver of the BTC price as the main driver is the growing demand as the bitcoin economy grows.
If bitcoin serves only a small fraction of today's undergound economy, it can be shown that the price of bitcoins should be in the hundreds of dollars, far above the electricity cost component of the price.

Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:01:55 PM

If bitcoin serves only a small fraction of today's undergound economy, it can be shown that the price of bitcoins should be in the hundreds of dollars, far above the electricity cost component of the price.

until a shitload more people start mining realizing that there is profit to be had... it's not like we haven't seen this already

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:09:39 PM

until a shitload more people start mining realizing that there is profit to be had... it's not like we haven't seen this already
until that shitload of people then realize that bitcoin is a great investment because it's worth hundreds of dollars and decide to hoard instead.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Etlase2

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:21:13 PM

until that shitload of people then realize that bitcoin is a great investment because it's worth hundreds of dollars and decide to hoard instead.

because it's a great investment people are going to stop mining? I don't follow your logic one bit

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:35:38 PM

because it's a great investment people are going to stop mining? I don't follow your logic one bit
Hashrate has fallen since July. Bitcoin isn't worth mining right now, but it is worth buying.

vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:37:09 PM

Hashrate has fallen since July. Bitcoin isn't worth mining right now, but it is worth buying.
That all depends on electricity and equipment costs.
Etlase2

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:38:33 PM

and the sell price in july vs the sell price now? I mean really...

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 01:04:48 PM

It's worth mining for some people who have the right equipment. I agree that it's worth buying for most people more than it's worth mining, right now. Esp. if you don't have any decent mining equipment beforehand.

Hashrate declined sharply right after the Big Crash but has been catching up ever since and it's close to historical maximums already.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 01:12:59 PM

and the sell price in july vs the sell price now? I mean really...
The sell price is lower now than in July. Are you saying that makes mining more worthwhile? I fail to see your logic here.  Tongue

I suppose for some very efficient mining rigs it may be marginally profitable, especially if the heat is valued as well. My mining rig will be shut down very soon if the price does not increase with the outside temperature.

Etlase2

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 01:18:59 PM

The sell price is lower now than in July. Are you saying that makes mining more worthwhile? I fail to see your logic here.  Tongue

looking at bitcoincharts, the lowest the price dipped in july was around $12. the lowest in august was around $7.

and either way, your post still was completely non sequitur to mine.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 01:40:55 PM

Just for reference.

Difficulty and hashrate, linear:

exponential axis:

Gartner hype graph:

One has to understand that right after the GPU breakthrough in mining there hasn't really been any game changer (maybe FPGA's if they enter in sufficient quantity and when they do) and also that the Radeon 5xxx HD series hasn't really been beaten in terms of bang for the buck, as one would expect years after their release. Basically you cannot get a much better card than a high end 5xxx series for mining, as one would expect 2 generations later.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 03:00:01 PM

looking at bitcoincharts, the lowest the price dipped in july was around $12. the lowest in august was around $7.

and either way, your post still was completely non sequitur to mine.
I'm glad you think that way. I hope miners keep selling their bitcoin in the $4-5 range. I'll keep buying them and we're all happy.  Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: