Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:36:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering all of those passwords without sacrificing security  (Read 2613 times)
Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:47:10 AM

Proper encryption should be lossless, or else what's the point of it if it can't be accurately decrypted. So, in effect, the file should restore exactly as it was before encryption. I've not heard of any danger of doubly encrypting a file.
BigMac
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 08:52:31 AM

Proper encryption should be lossless, or else what's the point of it if it can't be accurately decrypted. So, in effect, the file should restore exactly as it was before encryption. I've not heard of any danger of doubly encrypting a file.

I see. Thanks a lot for your quick clarification. Smiley

Bernard Lerring

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 10:48:58 AM

I wouldn't take my word for it: I'm not an expert. It just seems unlikely to me.

If you encrypt a file multiple times then as long as you use the correct password and software for each decryption layer you should end up with a copy of the original, unencrypted file.

Otherwise, what's the point?

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 11:01:53 PM

Cloud storage without encryption is asking for trouble. I prefer to keep my important documents/files closer to home, but if needed, encryption/decryption is as easy as using PGP. Smiley
That's why a service like MEGA is a good option for safe encrypted cloud storage but for extra security you can put your files in a truecrypt container before you upload them.
Using multiple encryption types, that is encrypting an encrypted file can sometimes lead to the inability to decrypt the originally encrypted file as encryption can sometimes make small changes to a file that would normally be unnoticeable but can be the difference between not being able to decrypt and being able to decrypt a file.   

Is that a real risk? I mean, I have read lots of people suggesting to use multiple encryption (like 7zip + truescrypt).
The chances are much smaller and it doesn't really happen very much anymore with modern encryption technology but it is still possible. 

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: