Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:45:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal Integrating Bitcoin soon.  (Read 11261 times)
virtualfaqs (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 07:15:50 AM

bitcoinmania.eu/paypal-bitcoin-integration-coming-very-soon-says-ebay-ceo-international-business-times-uk.html

No one in their right mind would use BTC to pay for anything on PayPal. The credit card chargeback protection has always been the front lines of consumer protection from seller fraud on PayPal. Buyer wins 99% of the time.

Most likely there's no way to tell how the buyer is paying. However if there was a way to require BTC payment, that would be a game changer for sure. Because PayPal's policy is not to interfere with intangible goods. Buyer is basically out of luck. Scamming will go the other way as sellers receiving PayPal payments will be secure from chargebacks.

Then there's the issue about withdrawls in BTC and having your PayPal account hacked.

Who will receive BTC payments? PayPal or the seller? It will be interesting to see how this will work at the end. Either way there's probably going to be scamming as usual.

https://twitter.com/virtualfaqs
Looking for altcoin pump advice? Then follow me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 07:42:04 AM

bitcoinmania.eu/paypal-bitcoin-integration-coming-very-soon-says-ebay-ceo-international-business-times-uk.html

No one in their right mind would use BTC to pay for anything on PayPal. The credit card chargeback protection has always been the front lines of consumer protection from seller fraud on PayPal. Buyer wins 99% of the time.

Most likely there's no way to tell how the buyer is paying. However if there was a way to require BTC payment, that would be a game changer for sure. Because PayPal's policy is not to interfere with intangible goods. Buyer is basically out of luck. Scamming will go the other way as sellers receiving PayPal payments will be secure from chargebacks.

Then there's the issue about withdrawls in BTC and having your PayPal account hacked.

Who will receive BTC payments? PayPal or the seller? It will be interesting to see how this will work at the end. Either way there's probably going to be scamming as usual.

Well thats pretty interesting I had to sign a notary form saying I wouldn't sell BTC for paypal or face permanent account closure haha.

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
virtualfaqs (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 07:50:12 AM

Well thats pretty interesting I had to sign a notary form saying I wouldn't sell BTC for paypal or face permanent account closure haha.

Things change, man. Nice to see you around!  Grin

beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:51:16 PM

If there is a charge-back, PayPal will expect you to cover it. If you don't they freeze/close your account same as if it were fiat. Not sure what you think would be different.
greenlion

Activity: 667

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:54:14 PM

Paypal already has a pretty much turn-key solution available to them if they decide to acquire Coinbase. Getting bought out is a very viable endgame for a VC-stage company, and there are business relationships in common between the two organizations already.
beatljuice

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:59:37 PM

PayPal can't take fiat out of your checking account, unless you've approved it. So fiat is just like bitcoin in PayPal's eyes.
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:01:50 PM

Nothing chages for PayPal or Buyer or Seller as far as BTC integration goes.

Buyer buys something for BTC, BTC goes to PayPal who than transfers it to $ and holds just like they hold fiat. When all requirements are met, they send $ to seller (or mybe there would be option to convert $ to BTC and send BTC to seller if he wishes).
If chargeback happens (in period while PayPal holds BTC/fiat), PayPal just returns BTC/fiat equivalent to buyer.
Only thing that changes is that, PayPal is now in control of chargeback decision. Now, credit card houses are one that decide will there be chargeback or not in most cases, not PayPal, with BTC PayPal could actualy start protecting Seller too.

DARKANGEL6415

Activity: 672

ADAMANT — the most secure and anonymous messenger

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 04:05:44 PM

now if paypal accepted bitcoin and integrated it properly to protect consumers and sellers then bitcoin will explode in my opinion. Since basically in my experience from places i shop online 95% accept paypal as payment.

● ● ● ● ● ● ●   ADAMANT Messenger ● ● ● ● ● ● ●  
Try it now: Secure and Anonymous Messenger ║║ Whitepaper
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4463

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:12:47 PM

paypal will be the escrow. funds wont be released until customer acknowledges delivery (leaves feedback)

it does not matter if its dollars, pounds or bitcoin. it will b locked into paypal until feedback is given

..... i HOPE

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:16:00 PM

I don't understand why would paypal/ebay would integrate bitcoin ?
Paypal business model = paypal only way to pay.

farking bastards at ebay/paypal.. if you owe fee's they just deduct it.. don't ask.. simply deduct. wtf is that..
I don't know if they still do this, but years ago if you had no $$ in your bank account and paypal had no way to get the money back, you would get a debt collectors letter straight away. nice way of of conducting business.

ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:22:14 PM

farking bastards at ebay/paypal.. if you owe fee's they just deduct it.. don't ask.. simply deduct. wtf is that..
I don't know if they still do this, but years ago if you had no $$ in your bank account and paypal had no way to get the money back, you would get a debt collectors letter straight away. nice way of of conducting business.

PayPal is using MANY fiat currencies now. BTC would be just another currency. They earn money on fees for their escov service (that's what they are now and that's what they will stay with BTC). BTC is not PayPal's enemy, BTC is just another tool to earn even more money for PayPal. Those who don't see that are pretty much blind.

People do not use PayPal because they "like" them, they use it because of safety PayPal gives to Buyer. With BTC safety will stay same + it will be even larger for seller and everyone will be happy.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:36:35 PM

They can very easily integrate Bitcoin as a funding method. What can get really interesting is paying a merchant in Bitcoin after a six month hold back of the funds. Wink

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 04:36:42 PM

PayPal is using MANY fiat currencies now. BTC would be just another currency. They earn money on fees for their escov service (that's what they are now and that's what they will stay with BTC)
The thing is, unlike fiat money, Bitcoin has the ability to build escrow services in code directly on top of the blockchain, making Paypal (and their exorbitant fees) obsolete!

PayPal using bitcoin = same extortionist fees as with fiat. Bitcoin using integrated escrow = same service without the high fees. Which do you think survives in a free market?

Hint: Blockbuster video ain't doing so great these days.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Sydboy

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:58:31 PM

This is going to be aweeeeeeesome if it happens.
Price should go crazy high as we are all aware, well lets hope.

knowing ebay and paypal they will fuck it up somehow i fear.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 05:36:26 PM

i agree here, paypal sucks and I would not store my btc there BUT to get the mainstream, we need paypal (or lets say, its a big advantage!)
so this is huge news Smiley !

Musent

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:31:43 PM

I honestly don't think will happen anytime soon. A LOT of stuff needs to be tweaked to PP's current business model in order for BTC to flow through their system.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 01:05:02 AM

When and why did you have to do this?   I am interested...
virtualfaqs (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 03:37:47 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2014, 03:48:00 AM by virtualfaqs

If there is a charge-back, PayPal will expect you to cover it. If you don't they freeze/close your account same as if it were fiat. Not sure what you think would be different.

We're talking about BTC. There's no chargebacks. Let's get some terminology straight here. Chargeback do not equal PayPal disputes. They are different things. Chargebacks are taken care of with credit card while PayPal disputes involve only PayPal.

Nothing chages for PayPal or Buyer or Seller as far as BTC integration goes.

Buyer buys something for BTC, BTC goes to PayPal who than transfers it to $ and holds just like they hold fiat. When all requirements are met, they send $ to seller (or mybe there would be option to convert $ to BTC and send BTC to seller if he wishes).
If chargeback happens (in period while PayPal holds BTC/fiat), PayPal just returns BTC/fiat equivalent to buyer.
Only thing that changes is that, PayPal is now in control of chargeback decision. Now, credit card houses are one that decide will there be chargeback or not in most cases, not PayPal, with BTC PayPal could actualy start protecting Seller too.

There is no chargeback. Like I said, that involves credit cards only. You can only open a PayPal dispute. It's pretty much seller protection. So I'd require the buyer to pay with BTC and not accept their credit card if I deem them untrustworthy. That was my entire point in the original post.

Back then I had perfected a way to require buyers to use PayPal funds to pay rather then credit card which gave me almost the same protection as BTC. I knew the system inside out and wrote the PayPal Virtual FAQ on this hence my name.

When and why did you have to do this?   I am interested...

That was awhile go when BTC was a more sticky subject and PayPal had strict "anti-currency" restrictions. They felt it was a threat to them so anyone buying or selling BTC with PayPal had account closed or what happened to Maidak.

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 04:01:11 AM

The times they are a changin.

Nerazzura

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 04:09:56 AM

If the first time there may be a delay of 48 hours until your Bitcoins are sent - to prevent fraud, but the second time, will withdraw instant and usually takes 1 -2 hours btc already in your wallet and can be tracked directly in Blockchain.
Withdraw - BTCIni is the easiest way that you can find to buy Bitcoins using paypal and credit card - the only drawback is the cost (lower prices for BTC & SLL) but if you want your Bitcoins directly - this is the perfect solution
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: