Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:33:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USD Swap demand on Bitfinex has never been so high  (Read 9321 times)
BuildTheFuture

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:54:03 PM

Currently there are 11.8 Million dollar of USD swap demand, and only 1.1 Million of offers.

http://www.bfxdata.com/

Is this bad or good ?

Nick.

I'll go out on a limb and guess good. If you look at the longer term history of total USD swaps at the site http://www.bfxdata.com/, back during the bitcoin price jump last year the USD swap amounts outstanding were pretty much continuously hitting new highs. The higher interest rates attracted more and more USD lenders and this IMO partially fueled the overall bitcoin price rise. So I'm hoping to see something similar happen here and the interest rates and swap demand stay high enough to suck in a bunch more USD lenders.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 01:58:57 PM

TERA if there would be a lot of demand for shorting BTC would you think this is bullish?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2014, 02:01:31 PM

if bitfinex was more trusted, we would see the sawp demand fulfilled, not saying bitfinex is not legit or trustworthy, but i'm sure the shady look and feel to the bitcoin exchanges is holding back alot of money.

Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:03:45 PM

More relevant imo is a historic comparison like active swaps and average rate of active swaps. And that view, despite what some bulls in here like to think, is slightly bearish, with USD swaps pretty much maxed out.

Why would that be slightly bearish? I think it's neutral, but maybe I'm missing something here so I'm willing to learn. I just don't see the connection knowing only this piece of information.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:07:50 PM

if bitfinex was more trusted, we would see the sawp demand fulfilled, not saying bitfinex is not legit or trustworthy, but i'm sure the shady look and feel to the bitcoin exchanges is holding back alot of money.

Good point.  The silk road coins auction will likely be a better indication of real demand, especially by larger, more established players... it depends on how close to spot those coins are sold.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:11:46 PM

More relevant imo is a historic comparison like active swaps and average rate of active swaps. And that view, despite what some bulls in here like to think, is slightly bearish, with USD swaps pretty much maxed out.

Why would that be slightly bearish? I think it's neutral, but maybe I'm missing something here so I'm willing to learn. I just don't see the connection knowing only this piece of information.

Sure, I don't mind explaining how I arrive at that conclusion. I'm not an expert on reading swaps, but my perspective on them is as follows: I read this one similar to spotting divergences on a price derived indicator -- the "divergence" here is that price is falling, or at least stagnating, but USD swaps make new highs. In my experience, this is an early bearish signal. Example: February 6 this year.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Joe200

Activity: 317
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:38:17 PM

I don't get it. The average rate on active USD swaps is actually pretty low. Doesn't that mean that the supply of USD that can still be lent is high? So not bearish.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 02:45:36 PM

Sure, I don't mind explaining how I arrive at that conclusion. I'm not an expert on reading swaps, but my perspective on them is as follows: I read this one similar to spotting divergences on a price derived indicator -- the "divergence" here is that price is falling, or at least stagnating, but USD swaps make new highs. In my experience, this is an early bearish signal. Example: February 6 this year.

But price isn't falling? We corrected to $537 and even $522 on Finex because of margin calls. USD swaps actually went down during that correction by a few million USD. Then the price started rising up to $610 again together with USD swaps, and now we're consolidating/flagging in $580-610 area until we see another breakout. The most likely way forward looking at the technicals here is a continuation of the trend, which is upwards. I don't think I can agree with your reasoning here that the number of USD swaps is a bearish indicator, but good luck if you decide to trade based on this. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:04:53 PM

But price isn't falling? We corrected to $537 and even $522 on Finex because of margin calls. USD swaps actually went down during that correction by a few million USD. Then the price started rising up to $610 again together with USD swaps, and now we're consolidating/flagging in $580-610 area until we see another breakout. The most likely way forward looking at the technicals here is a continuation of the trend, which is upwards. I don't think I can agree with your reasoning here that the number of USD swaps is a bearish indicator, but good luck if you decide to trade based on this. Smiley

I didn't say anything about trading based on this. It's a small piece inside a larger puzzle, and I am slightly more bearish as a result of it. That's all.

The USD swap peaks I mean are on June 18 (crossing 26M USD), with price at the time ~$80 below the $680 top. Like I said: I think of it as a "divergence". Not the same as a stand-alone sell signal (which rarely exists anyway Cheesy)

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:40:02 PM

TERA if there would be a lot of demand for shorting BTC would you think this is bullish?

BTC shorts are generally maxed out at or approaching bottoms. Go see for yourself:

http://www.bfxdata.com/bitfinexLiquidityBTC.php

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 03:48:20 PM

Total sum of active $ swaps is still 25M$, just below the peak, average rate has dropped.
I don't know, is BFX supposed to have all the $, or can they operate with a fractional reserve (this may be a silly question  Roll Eyes )?

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
TheJuice

Activity: 841
Merit: 608

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:01:37 PM

The argument that bitcoin is being held up by borrowed money in false. I am planning money, money id otherwise have in btc.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 04:23:24 PM

I don't know, is BFX supposed to have all the $, or can they operate with a fractional reserve (this may be a silly question  Roll Eyes )?

No! Not Possible!

The Bitfinex exchange operators, with access to all BFX trader positions, stop losses and limit orders, and with absolutely no regulatory oversight, would never dare to start trying to Jimmy the numbers and/or operate fractional reserve systems in order to multiply their profits by an order of several magnitude. Only bad exchanges like MtGox would even dream of attempting to dabble in those sort of black arts!

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:06:08 PM

I just point out TA, patterns, and fractals. No agenda. If technicals were more bullish, my charts would be too. KEep in mind also they are not predictions but possibilities. There is a possibility also of a rally, if the right events develop.

Not that it matters either way, but are you a man or woman? People around here are speculating...

For the record though, you were pretty accurate on the latest market correction after this most recent rise to near $700 (and back down), I remember reading it as we were near the top..
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:08:46 PM

Total sum of active $ swaps is still 25M$, just below the peak, average rate has dropped.
I don't know, is BFX supposed to have all the $, or can they operate with a fractional reserve (this may be a silly question  Roll Eyes )?

Well, all that money is supposed to be in the "deposit" accounts of lenders. After the contract is up, you are free to move the money..... so I certainly hope no fractional reserve. Smiley

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 10:50:33 PM

if the history repeats itself as in $10->$2 collective short by bitcoinica, we would see a slow decline to $100 for half a year, then bitfinex would run with customer's money and the rally to 10000 starts Smiley

PS this comment obviously is a joke, as is any thread trying to predict future price based on tea leavesbitfinex

PPS somebody here actually lends money through bitfinex? Brave souls, my hat off to you. I also have a nigerian prince inheritance we need to discuss with you, PM me.

i am satoshi
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:33:22 PM

It's not a demand for bitcoin. It's actually a demand for USD. It's called "USD swap demand" is a market for people to borrow USD, based on the interest rate.
maker88

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2014, 11:39:45 PM

i actually think tera made a good point this time, but i don't think it will go down to the 400s. i think we have a few more weeks of sideways trading. a lot of people aren't moving until the fbi sale. i hope the price stays down for a while so i can buy more though, so i guess I'm biased.
Zohann

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 12:02:19 AM

I concur Maker.. I'm looking at a similar fractal completing like the one we just passed..  I'll start making some purchases around $540.
TheJuice

Activity: 841
Merit: 608

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:19:05 AM

So true. That's the reason swap is expensive, inherent risk for the lenders that the site suddenly disappears with all the money.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: