Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:47:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC for Mining  (Read 1720 times)
Projects (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 07:46:16 PM

Where can i buy a prebuilt pc for mining?
I am not able to build one myself, any reccomendations?

Buying Bitcoins for cash or gold/silver bullion many methods to pay you - pm me for more information
Bank transfer, Cash, Postal Order, Western Union, MoneyGram, SEPA, Amazon & More  - Worldwide Transfers Available
*NEW* BTC for Citibank P2P transfers - USD/EUR please pm me for more information
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ForceField
aka Vitaliy

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 08:06:39 PM

Would be helpful if you specified your budget range.

PC Hardware & Electronics For BTC     Traded w/: Kansattica | jduck1987 | shakaru | newdude | nitetrader | midievil | blo8i | mb300sd | juggalodarkclow | Garr255 | Tril | Ringmasta | SysRun | CrazyBlane | sokay | BCB | str4wm4n | PinkBatman | Bitobsessed | matauc12 | antimattercrusader | BryanK
Projects (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 08:30:08 PM

about 1k usd

Buying Bitcoins for cash or gold/silver bullion many methods to pay you - pm me for more information
Bank transfer, Cash, Postal Order, Western Union, MoneyGram, SEPA, Amazon & More  - Worldwide Transfers Available
*NEW* BTC for Citibank P2P transfers - USD/EUR please pm me for more information
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 08:54:25 PM

about 1k usd

How much do you pay for electricity? Are you looking for power efficiency or reduced upfront costs? The wiki has some suggestions, but you probably would need to build it yourself.
CA Coins
Donator

Activity: 305

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 08:56:40 PM

New or used?  If used is ok, then scour the forum for a used rig.
Is there a reason why you can't build a PC yourself?  If you can't build one yourself due to technical knowledge, you are going to have a hard time running a mining rig.  It is not really plug and mine.
Also, if you're doing this for profit, then you need to consider your power cost.  Nowadays, with GPUs, you might lose money mining if your power cost is high.  In that case, you might go with FPGAs if you really want to mine.  They are pre-built, plug and play, low power cost, but very high equipment costs.
Projects (OP)

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 09:44:22 PM

not really able to build one - never tried but wouldnt like to experiment with 1000 usd would rather buy one pre built and then learn how to use it
i appreciate they are not as easy as plug and mine but i am fairly intelligent so i am sure i would figure it out
electricity cost is irrelevant electricity is included in my rent

nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 10:58:59 PM

not really able to build one - never tried but wouldnt like to experiment with 1000 usd would rather buy one pre built and then learn how to use it
i appreciate they are not as easy as plug and mine but i am fairly intelligent so i am sure i would figure it out
electricity cost is irrelevant electricity is included in my rent

Take a look at the marketplace section. Maybe there are people selling.
CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 12:42:29 AM

I remember there was a website selling pre-built rigs.  I can't seem to find it on google anymore but I did find one site:
http://www.bitcoin-rigs.com/

There was also a post of someone with a pre-built rig:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54066.0

Lastly, someone is selling a bunch of rigs, but he may not want to sell individual boxes and they might be out of your price range with 3 6990s:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64548.msg762608#msg762608

Not endorsing any of them but check it out and good luck!
shakaru

Activity: 406

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 02:27:02 AM

If you live near LA or dont mind having a pc shipped to you, I build and selling mining rigs. Everything from alluminum racking, 4u server mounts, h20 cooled rigs, I build it.

Contact me so we can have a discussion in real time what your needs are and I can give you a few estimates and stats. If you have skype, I can be reached at Andrew_Nollan

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
diabinc141

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 04:49:31 AM

If you are fairly knowledgeable you should really build one yourself. You can find tutorials on youtube on how to put together a computer and if you need help with components you can either look through the forums for similar budget rigs or I could help you put together a part list. I enjoy computers so I'd be happy to give you any advice. Also I'm new here to the forum so I'm trying to establish myself on here. Right now I have a pretty small mining rig at about 1 GHash but I'm looking to expand in the near future. PM me if you have any questions.  Smiley
Vanderbleek

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:08:46 AM

I'd recommend, as a "backbone" for a GPU rig:

MSI GD-70 AM3 Motherboard
Athlon CPU
2GB DDR3
1200W Seasonic PSU
Flash drive to run the OS off of.

Beyond that, all you need is the cards -- 6870s are pretty affordable now, get ~300Mhash, and would have factory warranties. You could easily put for of them in that setup, and it would be just about USD $1200 to do so (before rebates). So about $1/mhash for all new equipment. Obviously if you could get some used 58xx cards, you'd be able to bump that number up.

It really isn't too difficult to put together a computer -- these days things can usually connect one way, and they're color coded to boot. Otherwise you'd have to have someone like Shakaru throw the rig together for you.
Halvor

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 03:09:16 PM

I'm posting in this thread although my question is on a different, much, lower level than you guys are talking at.

I have access to a community PC which is configured with a 2GHz P4 CPU and 1GB of RAM (running ubuntu). Is it possible to do mining from such a meager platform? Obviously the background process would have to be limited so that other users could use the PC for browsing and writing stuff at the same time.

Or is this a definite non-starter?
portron

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 03:14:18 PM

I'm posting in this thread although my question is on a different, much, lower level than you guys are talking at.

I have access to a community PC which is configured with a 2GHz P4 CPU and 1GB of RAM (running ubuntu). Is it possible to do mining from such a meager platform? Obviously the background process would have to be limited so that other users could use the PC for browsing and writing stuff at the same time.

If you plan on mining bitcoins on a P4 CPU forget it... if it has a PCI-E slot, and you put a GPU in there, maybe... but I have a feeling it'd most likely have an AGP slot...
Halvor

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 04:04:45 PM

If you plan on mining bitcoins on a P4 CPU forget it... if it has a PCI-E slot, and you put a GPU in there, maybe... but I have a feeling it'd most likely have an AGP slot...

Ah well...  Undecided
drewtaz

Activity: 48

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:02:15 PM

You could mine CPU based currency like LiteCoins. 
CA Coins
Donator

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:08:17 PM

The P4 CPU can handle the mining part, but it has AGP for video.  You can get a PCI to PCI-E converter for the GPU, but I am not sure those are worth the money.
neo_rage

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:42:58 PM

If you want a mining PC, not open rig, you really can take it from parts. It's simple.

Mushoz

Activity: 686

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2012, 06:48:00 PM

If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble building your own rig.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 06:52:15 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2012, 11:05:22 PM by DeathAndTaxes

If you don't want to build your own rig then buy an FPGA.  They are pretty much plug and play.  A laptop or low end casual user system is more than enough to run them.
neo_rage

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2012, 10:59:56 PM

+1 to fpga, simply, low-power, silent.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: