Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:18:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would a Kocaso Andriod 4.0 mini netbook book ok for an offline computer?  (Read 1112 times)
AllInBit (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 02:40:49 AM

Koncaso Specs:
                       VIA ARM 32BIT CPU 1.20gh proc.
                        1GB RAM
                        ANDROID OS
                        802.11 a/b/g
                        4GB NANO Fast Flash HD         

Not a tech savvy guy. I wanted to find something very inexpensive. I plan to only use this computer for cold storage. Dont see any reason to spend more than I need to unless a more expensive computer provides more security somehow. Ive heard that Android OS arent very secure when it comes to bitcoin. I am aslo goin to using ubuntu, if that makes a difference when it comes to using an Android.     

I've seen several recommendations for a Asus Eee PC. If its necessary to spend a little more, I will, just wondering.

Maybe I have no idea what im talkin about. Huh  Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
doug_armory

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

Senior Developer - Armory

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 12:36:05 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2014, 08:03:41 PM by doug_armory

Are you going to be putting Ubuntu on this netbook? (This is separate from Android, mind you. I don't know about this particular netbook but would assume a dual-boot scenario is out of the question.) If so, it should be fine for cold storage. If you plan to run Armory on Android, it won't work.

EDIT: I just realized that the netbook uses an ARM processor. There are no ARM distributions of Armory right now. One could try to compile Armory for ARM. I don't know if it would work.

Senior Developer -  Armory Technologies, Inc.
AllInBit (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:02:02 PM

Are you going to be putting Ubuntu on this netbook? (This is separate from Android, mind you. I don't know about this particular netbook but would assume a dual-boot scenario is out of the question.) If so, it should be fine for cold storage. If you plan to run Armory on Android, it won't work.

Yes I will be putting ubuntu onto the netbook. What do you mean by dual-boot scenario? Thx
doug_armory

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 08:02:13 PM

Yes I will be putting ubuntu onto the netbook. What do you mean by dual-boot scenario? Thx

Actually, I need to go back and edit what I wrote earlier. Armory may not run on the netbook after all. You have an ARM processor. Armory doesn't distribute a build that runs on an ARM processor. You could download the source code and try to compile Armory. I don't know if that would work.

(Also, a dual-boot scenario is where you're running two operating systems on one computer.)

AllInBit (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 08:49:07 PM

Actually, I need to go back and edit what I wrote earlier. Armory may not run on the netbook after all. You have an ARM processor. Armory doesn't distribute a build that runs on an ARM processor. You could download the source code and try to compile Armory. I don't know if that would work.

(Also, a dual-boot scenario is where you're running two operating systems on one computer.)

Thx for the info. I guess I will be goin with a different computer. Do you have any personal recomendations other than a Asus Eee PC?
doug_armory

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2014, 08:54:09 PM

Thx for the info. I guess I will be goin with a different computer. Do you have any personal recomendations other than a Asus Eee PC?

Any PC with an x86 processor (i.e., 99+% of the PCs out there) and at least 512 MB of RAM should be sufficient to run Armory in offline mode.

AllInBit (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 09:12:36 PM

Any PC with an x86 processor (i.e., 99+% of the PCs out there) and at least 512 MB of RAM should be sufficient to run Armory in offline mode.

Actually have 1 more question. Would a new pc be recommended? Not sure I trust a used one. Much thx again!
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:10:25 AM

Armory runs on a Raspberry Pi, at least older versions do (I have not upgraded the offline computer for quite a while).  I think it has an ARM processor, so probably it will work.  Of course, buying an x86 based computer is a safe bet.
doug_armory

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 03:57:32 PM

Actually have 1 more question. Would a new pc be recommended? Not sure I trust a used one. Much thx again!

Depends on how paranoid you are. Computers that have been ordered online have been intercepted by government agents in an attempt to install who knows what on them. Used computers could be compromised this way or that. It's all in what you're willing to accept.

Armory runs on a Raspberry Pi, at least older versions do (I have not upgraded the offline computer for quite a while).  I think it has an ARM processor, so probably it will work.  Of course, buying an x86 based computer is a safe bet.

Derp. Smiley Forgot about the RPi build. I don't know if it'd work out of the box on the OP's computer, though. The OP could certainly try and see what happens.

picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 05:29:23 PM

Derp. Smiley Forgot about the RPi build. I don't know if it'd work out of the box on the OP's computer, though. The OP could certainly try and see what happens.

I would be surprised if it works out of the box - it is a raspbian build, and I do not know what that implies.  But it means that OP could most likely build it himself, if he has the inclination and the knowhow.

128bpm

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:30:41 PM

I recently had success installing ChrUbuntu on a $199 Acer Chromebook and it works great with Armory.  I think this is the cheapest offline laptop solution at the moment, but if someone has a better one, please let me know!
doug_armory

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2014, 07:03:46 PM

I recently had success installing ChrUbuntu on a $199 Acer Chromebook and it works great with Armory.  I think this is the cheapest offline laptop solution at the moment, but if someone has a better one, please let me know!

Glad to hear it, although one should note that the Chromebook you're referencing has an x86-64 processor. That's why you had no problems installing Armory. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: