Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:13:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BITMAIN Antminer s1 are they still worth it??  (Read 980 times)
nickgaff (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:13:43 AM

So BITMAIN has just told us they will be releasing the new S3 witch we are all on our mouses waiting to hit buy!
Even though the S1's have dropped drastically if im getting free electricity is it worth me buying some used
s1's for $300 aussie dollars or should i just wait for the s3?
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:54:29 AM

While the price of S3 has not been announced yet, the anticipated price is likely to have a similar GH/s/BTC to the current market price of the S1.  As the S3 hash rate is about 2.5 twice that of S1, the price is likely to be proportionally higher.  The biggest advantage of S3 is in the relative power consumption, where it clearly beats the S1.  If you get free electricity that wouldn't matter to you.  There are second order issues like cooling needs (advantage to S3 on a per GH/s basis).  You may also consider delay until supply (S3 is brand new, there is huge interest, it make take some time until deliveries start and actually happen). There is also a potential issue of 'infant mortality' issues, firmware/software bugs etc.  (s1 had 3 firmware releases, a few h/w versions etc).  Today the S1 is stable and mature.  Mining difficulty changes all the time, so in bicoin mining time is of the essence.  In my opinion, get a cheap S1 today, later either upgrade it to S3 or 'down-volt' it to improve energy efficiency (only if you pay for electricity).
('Somebody' just cancelled a S1 purchase from me, and I'm actually grateful...Smiley

Cheers
CTL_ALT_DEL

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 01:08:57 PM

Agree with kabopar, I have 5 S1's and they're great little machines: wish I had 5 more.  When the difficulty goes up to the point where you can't mine BTC effectively, start mining the better alts and get S3's or used S2's for the BTC work.

Regards,
JR
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: