Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:56:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: About to turn off my mining rigs  (Read 2280 times)
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2014, 11:12:13 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2014, 02:49:24 AM by _Miracle

It is a bit of a bummer to think of home miners shutting down but also (unfortunatly) understandable.

So far I've done ok reselling mining gear when upgrading but it's mostly been through ebay and I'm relutant to sell anything with moving parts that require shipping.

It would be nice to be able to keep something hashing in support of the network >>>something like an undervolted S1 or its equivalent.

On one hand my train of thought is  "it's not that important for little 'ole me to support the network" but the second thought is that it is important.

For now mining pays for itself but when it stops I'll have to downgrade the 1k + watts (at least little;-)

*Edit: my single never paid for itself (cost of education) but the Ants are doing ok

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Harley997

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:18:16 AM

Don't bother to mine anymore. If you still like to mine, rent . There are gr8 offers available out there.

Is renting has any sense now ?

I too want to know a renting service that can ROI.
You would be unlikely to find one, at least one that will allow you to ROI over the long term. you may be able to ROI over short periods due to market inefficiencies.

There is no real reason why a miner would rent his miners for less then EV

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:20:53 AM

Having said that, I can't really find too many examples of where buying a miner earns you more than buying the coins.  BTC dropped to $560, it's even cheaper to buy now, makes more sense than 2 weeks ago to buy as opposed to mine unless you plan on solo mining.

Unfortunately the idea that miners should just trade has never been a goer. Its a bit like telling a crack head they should just sell crack instead of using it.

As for turning off mining rigs.

I have this feeling that the bigger established mining farms are struggling themselves to survive with the massive increase in difficulty which hasn't been the result this time of them all incrementally increasing their hashrates as appears to be the case in the past, but rather it appears to be the result of lots of new mining farms coming online and taking away a large chunk of others earnings.

I assume then that these established farms will now be hoping for a drop off of the part of the network hashrate that exists because of home mining and just may be trying to hang in there until this happens.

I wonder what would happen if we just didn't turn our miners off when they cease turning a profit, and just kept on mining even if there was no ROI but just enough turn around of BTC to pay the power bill.

Especially those in the northern hemisphere who are heading toward fall, and could subsidise their mining costs by using them as heat sources throughout fall, winter and spring.

That might just be the proverbial straw that breaks the camels back in the next 3 - 5 months as the big farms continue their little stand-off waiting for some section of the hashing network to break first.

It would be a gamble that could have little to no affect, but it might be worth considering.

Who said anything about trading.  I said just buy BTC for $560.  When you buy a miner you're doing the same thing in a roundabout way with risk/benefit of variable ROI.
taipo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Kia ora!

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 02:18:25 AM

Who said anything about trading.  I said just buy BTC for $560.  When you buy a miner you're doing the same thing in a roundabout way with risk/benefit of variable ROI.

Bitcoin is a bidirectional digital currency. The reason it is catagorised as this, is because BTCs design allows users to buy and sell this virtual currency on exchanges, so cash is traded for virtual currency, and currency can be exchanged for cash - this activity is called trading.

It also allows a user to directly purchase goods and services whether virtual or real. When you buy a miner you are buying physical goods. When you buy BTC with fiat, that is participating in trading whether you want to call it something else or not.

Support the two platforms essential to protecting the identities of whistleblowers. Both accept bitcoin donations.
https://globaleaks.org - GlobalLeaks ( btc: see http://goo.gl/D5wM0L )
http://goo.gl/sZg2RN  - SecureDrop: whistleblower submission system
colemab (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 02:55:38 AM

Well with the latest difficulty increase, I shut down the system today.   Deadly quiet in that room now.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: