Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:40:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barebones KnCminer  (Read 1286 times)
Reclaim3r (OP)

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:40:14 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2014, 01:37:12 AM by Reclaim3r

Hey guys, I was wondering if it was possible to just buy one KnCminer controller board ( why the heck are they so expensive !? ) and a single upgrade module board rather then buying an entire miner. A barebones KnC miner as I put it. Would it be possible? And what about making your own controller board? I don't exactly see why it's so expensive..
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 07:04:21 PM

I suggest to move your thread to Bitcoin Forum > Bitcoin > Mining > Hardware (you can as OP).

Other than being the right section, you will have more chances to get good responses. Smiley
abacus

Activity: 618
Merit: 500

a clockwork miner

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:51:18 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2014, 02:57:20 AM by abacus

OP? How? Thank you for telling me that  Smiley

Look at the bottom-left of the page of a thread you started (OP = Original Poster),
there are these two links to do some actions on it:
Move Topic  |  Lock topic

I still feel like a newbie so I post here most of the time.

Looking better at the Beginners and Help section, there are many posts, like your one, that I think they could be best fitted in other boards.
I still think I gave you the right hint, but considering that now I have a small doubt, I am going to ask this with a tread on the Meta forum.

Edit: it seems you found how to do it yourself Smiley
Reclaim3r (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 03:10:04 AM

OP? How? Thank you for telling me that  Smiley

Look at the bottom-left of the page of a thread you started (OP = Original Poster),
there are these two links to do some actions on it:
Move Topic  |  Lock topic

I still feel like a newbie so I post here most of the time.

Looking better at the Beginners and Help section, there are many posts, like your one, that I think they could be best fitted in other boards.
I still think I gave you the right hint, but considering that now I have a small doubt, I am going to ask this with a tread on the Meta forum.

Edit: it seems you found how to do it yourself Smiley

Yep  Smiley thanks for telling me abacus. Much appreciated.
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 05:38:05 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering if it was possible to just buy one KnCminer controller board ( why the heck are they so expensive !? ) and a single upgrade module board rather then buying an entire miner. A barebones KnC miner as I put it. Would it be possible? And what about making your own controller board? I don't exactly see why it's so expensive..

Many people run them that way, Ski72 on the KNC forums even put together a hardware kit with standoffs, etc. to make it easy.. In short it works fine, the case is only a basic aluminum box, nothing special..

As for the price, yes KNC charges a premium, you will do better buying used, heck KNC is selling them used anyway..

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
https://www.bitworks.io
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 07:06:14 AM

Many people run them that way, Ski72 on the KNC forums even put together a hardware kit with standoffs, etc. to make it easy.. In short it works fine, the case is only a basic aluminum box, nothing special..

As for the price, yes KNC charges a premium, you will do better buying used, heck KNC is selling them used anyway..

This^

You should be able to find controller boards and ASIC boards on eBay for much less than from KNC. They are currently way overpriced on KNC's site. And since KNC shipped out piles of half broken Super Jupiters, there should be lots on the secondhand market for reasonable prices.

Just curious though why you want just one out-dated ASIC board? They are last year's tech and soon to be past their useful life. If you are looking to mine as a hobby with older gear, you can pick up S1's for a song and get much more hash for your dollar.
Reclaim3r (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 02:41:25 PM

This^

You should be able to find controller boards and ASIC boards on eBay for much less than from KNC. They are currently way overpriced on KNC's site. And since KNC shipped out piles of half broken Super Jupiters, there should be lots on the secondhand market for reasonable prices.

Just curious though why you want just one out-dated ASIC board? They are last year's tech and soon to be past their useful life. If you are looking to mine as a hobby with older gear, you can pick up S1's for a song and get much more hash for your dollar.
Is there source code for the miner? It looks like all they did was slap a beaglebone controller on an I/O board.
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 02:43:52 PM

This is  possible.
Pictures of my self-made  KNC miner extra modules.

http://www.perearstike.ee/antminerS2/IMG_0025.JPG
http://www.perearstike.ee/antminerS2/IMG_0028.JPG

Now I have six 1TH/s KNC miners.
xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 02:45:09 PM

Firmware is here...
https://www.kncminer.com/pages/firmware
semaster

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 03:05:06 PM

This is  possible.
Pictures of my self-made  KNC miner extra modules.

I found better cooling solution for this boards

Reclaim3r (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 05:58:31 PM

This is  possible.
Pictures of my self-made  KNC miner extra modules.

I found better cooling solution for this boards

That looks awesome! Where'd you get the fans and heatsink? And has anybody even attempted a DIY KnCminer controller board?
semaster

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 06:08:09 PM

I used this http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/geminii-m4/

Reclaim3r (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:07:38 PM

Thanks for that helpful bit of info  Wink