Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 10:51:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Highest percentage of portfolio that is reasonable to keep in btc?  (Read 1601 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 11:29:20 PM

Putting all eggs in the same basket is always a bad idea.

Nah, just keep a close watch on that basket Wink
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 11:37:58 PM

I have gone 100% in LTC and BTC a few times in the past but this was sub $100/BTC and sub $1/LTC.

I would never go more than 80% in crypto. You need to consider for yourself your own risk appetite. I personally don't want 100% net worth in BTC or LTC etc.

It is always a good idea to take PROFIT off of the table even if you don't make mega profits.

This is not financial advice.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 11:57:17 PM

Putting all eggs in the same basket is always a bad idea.

Not if you guard the basket really well.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Zohann

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:45:21 AM

I currently have 10% of my portfolio in BTC.  I'll be uping it to 20% real soon.  I'm thinking about buying another 5% here and then add 5% more after the auction.
btcbeliever

Activity: 232
Merit: 29

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:09:32 AM

If you have an investment portfolio, I think 5-10% is a smart initial investment, putting all of it in as soon as possible.  Do not buy any more, or sell any more until it is overvalued - it is extremely undervalued right now so do not delay.  Once it gets overvalued, start selling it off one or two percent at a time as it continues to reach all time highs.  Once you have half of it sold off, this should be at a price point that is way above what most people think the bubble would go, if it ever gets that high.  Keep this in liquid assets until bitcoin gets undervalued again like it is now.

At that point, but more coin, but also spend some of the profits to help with whatever you wish to accomplish with your life.

I got in at a $25 cost basis with 5% of my portfolio, but I really had trouble deciding to buy or sell, so I did both - and lost at least a third of what I should have had I held, through 2 bubbles.  It is very stressful to get rapidly wealthy in unrealized gains.  Keep a cool head. 

If you are in the US as I am, then you should realize your national currency is in very great danger.  I keep hearing 60 trillion of debt now - I fear all our dollar-denominated assets are at risk of seizure by the demonic international bankers who control our politicians.  Soon that 5% initial investment will become 80% and higher of your net worth.   At that point your bitcoin profits should remain at least 50% invested in bitcoin.  The wealthy are buying collectible items like rare art masterpieces.  Maybe that is a good place to diversify.  A little gold might be good to have.  Silver seems really heavy/bulky in larger amounts.

I did not understand how to determine bitcoin is over or under-valued until after the last bubble crashed, unfortunately, so I am waiting for the next bubble to exercise my new-found wisdom.  Not everyone agrees with this model of valuating bitcoin for trading purposes, but it is important to decide your sell and buy strategy in advance before the rapid price increases (and drops) create alot of stress. 

here are some good links I would recommend:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=366214.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=633607.msg7072418#msg7072418
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: