Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:47:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin dissertation  (Read 955 times)
bcralph54 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 09:05:10 PM

Greetings everyone! I join the likes of bitcoin family.  I have been always meaning to join but never have. Now I finally have a reason to. I'll get to the point essentially I am looking for help.
I have started my masters dissertation here in Scotland and my topic is Bitcoin security and 3rd party security downfall. Essentially what I am trying to do is prove that bitcoin itself is secure but with tons of 3rd party applications, banks, online wallets etc etc makes bitcoin money insecure and worse off than actual regular fiat money. This will be done by showing the current value of everyday bitcoin compared with when a bug is found. Does it actually affect the value of the BC when major security flaws or chinese banks are shutdown etc etc. With showing this I would design, implement and test a security feature

my project along with that is to take an opensource wallet and potentially add a security feature to it. EG- 2 factor auth.( I am still playing with this and it is in its infancy, it may change). I am just now setting up my environment with bitcoin core and a free opensource 3rd party wallet
I am currently in the process of setting up all my environments of the opensource build environment with Electrum 1.9.8 and bitcoin core 0.9.2 . The downside of this is my school gave me no budget for hardware or even money to buy a partial bitcoin. While technically I don't need any hardware because I wont be mining anything. I am just in the security of it I do however need at least a very small portion of bitcoin.. because I need to be able to have a testing environment transferring partial BC to another wallet I have setup testing my security implementation .
Normally I'd just buy a partial bitcoin myself but I have moved over here from the US (chicago) and I am living off my savings from my previous job so I need to save money where i can. Would it be at all possible for anyone to donate even a micro part of a BC to my wallet? My dissertation ends August 18th and I can transfer the partial BC back to you if you would like after that.

My current  structure of the future dissertation (still not done WIP) http://www.mediafire.com/view/52rxp5w57y8y5x4/bcdissertation.docx

I will also try to continue to update you guys on it along with i'd like if I could submit it to you guys for feedback and you can totally tell me its terrible /shit to make it good. Because my best friend already said he's not going to read it since its going to be about 60+ pages which I don't blame him since he's read all my previous papers
If you would be so kind to tip just a small amount for my project - if you really cared that much I can transfer it back to you guys after I am done with my project in august im hoping for 1/16th or 1/32nd (in total of tips) of a whole bitcoin. I don't want a whole BC as that is IMO too much responsibility to hold on to for just a dissertation project
BC tip jar - 12ApaRpAC449zqBJmPPNVzJ3TDu3w8Frvb

Full disclosure, Bitcoin was not my first choice of topic. wasn't even my 2nd or 3rd. Some of the others I wanted to do was efficiencies in hash cracking or inherent trusts in wireless networks/computer hardware such as keyboards and mice. Also, I am already behind because my supervisor got assigned to me late and then he went on holiday and I am now just getting the proposal through. I am a month behind, and normal dissertations in the UK and most of Europe from what I have been told is 6 months. My school is 3 months - 1 month from me being behind. HIGHLY annoying but its the cards I have been dealt with.

As I said before I am willing to transfer the small amount back once I am done with my dissertation.
elianite
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1137

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 10:31:40 AM

Essentially what I am trying to do is prove that bitcoin itself is secure but with tons of 3rd party applications, banks, online wallets etc etc makes bitcoin money insecure and worse off than actual regular fiat money.

So, you are trying to prove that Bitcoin is insecure and worse then normal money. That's fine, but why did you come to the Bitcoin forums to get help? That is basically like going to a church and asking people to help you prove that God does not exist. You came to the wrong neighborhood...

Normally I'd just buy a partial bitcoin myself but I have moved over here from the US (chicago) and I am living off my savings from my previous job so I need to save money where i can. Would it be at all possible for anyone to donate even a micro part of a BC to my wallet? My dissertation ends August 18th and I can transfer the partial BC back to you if you would like after that.

"donate even a micro part of a BC"... let be be honest, you sound like you have no idea what your talking about. 1 Satoshi could be considered a 'micro part'; 1/100000000th of a bitcoin, yours for just 0.000006089 USD. Perhaps you are looking for a much bigger amount; say 1 million Satoshis; that will cost you a whole $6.

I don't want a whole BC as that is IMO too much responsibility to hold on to for just a dissertation project
BC tip jar - 12ApaRpAC449zqBJmPPNVzJ3TDu3w8Frvb

You got that part right. you can do tests with 10,000 'micro parts' just as easily as with 100,000,000 (one Bitcoin). the difference is that one is valued at 6 cents while the other is $600.

As I said before I am willing to transfer the small amount back once I am done with my dissertation.

No need. I will send you 50000 Satoshi aka 500uBTC aka 0.5mBTC aka 0.0005 BTC aka 0.0000005kBTC
as a stakeholder in the success of Bitcoin, I'm not exactly jumping at the opportunity to fund anti-bitcoin research here. I ask that you update me on your progress every month or so so I can make sure your work is presentable and actually based on fact. As to what ive read here, I really dont think your in the position to be writing a Masters Dissertation on this subject.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
JimDowJones

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 05:46:11 PM

watching
trace666

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 06:42:39 AM

Great that you are doing a project on Bitcoin -- should be beneficial for all that are involved!
I do not understand, however, why you are asking for money...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: