Bitcoin Forum
August 07, 2024, 01:25:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-06-22] CD: How OpenBazaar is Using Bitcoin to Build a Decentralised eBay  (Read 1131 times)
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 07:00:39 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/openbazaar-bitcoin-build-decentralised-ebay

OpenBazaar is set to take the stage at this weekend’s Bitcoin in the Beltway conference, a Washington, DC-based event that will bring together digital currency leaders and thinkers including Charlie Shrem and Vitalik Buterin. There, project maintainer Brian Hoffman will lead a discussion on the much-hyped decentralized market project.
SOAD

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:47:46 AM

A decentralised ebay? I thought this was going to be another Silk Road type thing?

Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:56:32 AM

Maybe it'll be a decentralized Silk Road? I think for this type of darknets to survive they're going to have to be decentralised. They just get hacked or taken down eventually.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:59:13 AM

Maybe it'll be a decentralized Silk Road? I think for this type of darknets to survive they're going to have to be decentralised. They just get hacked or taken down eventually.

lol... the Silk Road 2.0 is already decentralized. They took down the escrow in favor of multisig wallets. But this one is going to be different from SR 2.0. There won't be any drugs and everything will be 100% legal.  Grin
Neg

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:13:52 AM

It's not really. It needs to be more decentralized with no or minimal fees going to the silk road and no bonds etc. I'm sure a fully decentralized one will take the market soon.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:32:18 PM

That sounds awesome! I'd like to sell my stuff on there for sure!
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:42:29 PM

It's not really. It needs to be more decentralized with no or minimal fees going to the silk road and no bonds etc. I'm sure a fully decentralized one will take the market soon.

If there are no fees, then who will pay for the server costs and maintenance? Most of the buyers won't mind paying a 2% or 3% fees. Remember that Ebay is charging fees up to 15%.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 12:48:05 PM

If there are no fees, then who will pay for the server costs and maintenance? Most of the buyers won't mind paying a 2% or 3% fees. Remember that Ebay is charging fees up to 15%.

It will probably work like Twister, where they use the Bitcoin protocol and mining to maintain it I suspect, that's the only way I could think of this working otherwise.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:23:54 PM

It will probably work like Twister, where they use the Bitcoin protocol and mining to maintain it I suspect, that's the only way I could think of this working otherwise.

Bitcoin mining is definitely not going to bring in any profits, even with free electricity. Right now the total hash rate has exceeded 130 PH/s. If they want to create a well maintained trading site, then they'll have to charge small fees from the users.
Neg

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 02:01:58 PM

They could run on donations, or maybe minimal fees then.

I'm not familiar with Twister.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 02:53:28 PM

No one will donate. That is the problem. The question is actually how much could be the minimal fees. Everyone would agree that the 15% charged by Ebay is a little bit too much. But exactly how much OpenBazaar should charge its vendors?
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 03:03:56 PM

Decentralised Twitter basically - http://twister.net.co/ instead of sending money between points through the mining system, it sends messages and stuff, I suspect Open Bazaar will be the same except instead it sends the kind of information ebay requires but through the same system so the mining will confirm a person buying or selling an item.
Neg

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 03:56:38 PM

No one will donate. That is the problem. The question is actually how much could be the minimal fees. Everyone would agree that the 15% charged by Ebay is a little bit too much. But exactly how much OpenBazaar should charge its vendors?

I disagree. I think there would be lots of people who would donate. Look at all the donations things like Wikipedia and Wikileaks and Ubuntu gets etc.

Decentralised Twitter basically - http://twister.net.co/ instead of sending money between points through the mining system, it sends messages and stuff, I suspect Open Bazaar will be the same except instead it sends the kind of information ebay requires but through the same system so the mining will confirm a person buying or selling an item.

Thanks. I'll check it out.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 05:00:55 PM

I disagree. I think there would be lots of people who would donate. Look at all the donations things like Wikipedia and Wikileaks and Ubuntu gets etc.

Donating to some established venture like Wikileaks is different from donating coins to new and untested ventures such as OpenBazaar. And any idea how many coins Wikileaks is getting right now? The donations have trickled down in the recent months.
Yeezus

Activity: 214

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:48:49 AM

I'm sure people would donate once it got going and was working great. People would probably donate via some sort of kickstarter too.

hloren70

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:22:52 PM

This sounds awesome! Does anyone know if there will be some sort of escrow-like function to protect against fraud?
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 07:54:57 AM

This sounds awesome! Does anyone know if there will be some sort of escrow-like function to protect against fraud?

Well from the article:

Instilling user trust

On a more immediate level, OpenBazaar can help those who are using questionable markets to trade goods and services avoid instances of fraud or theft.

Hoffman explained:

“Right now, there’s a lot of people using these closed dark markets that have been built with a lot of risk for the user, with escrow, [and questions of] where the site holds it. So, our benefit is that’s its completely different – the trust will be in the hands of the user.”

To me that sounds like no escrow. Anyone read that differently? "... the trust will be in the hands of the user." Kind of sounds like "buyer beware" to me. Not sure whose benefit that is. *shrug*

Still, seems like a good idea to me.
percocet

Activity: 222
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 04:22:07 PM

We need more of these type of things.... decentralize EVERYTHING!
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 09:10:10 PM

it's nice and easy to expect things to run for free, but that's not how human nature works. if someone's willing to invest in a technology, then they are expecting to make returns if it is successful. relying on donations just doesn't work - just look at wikipedia and how they are struggling to get by.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: