Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 08:07:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-06-22] CoinDesk: Family to Travel Across the US, Spending Only Bitcoin  (Read 787 times)
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:27:46 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/family-travel-across-us-spending-bitcoin/

John Bush and Catherine Bleish began a road trip across the US with their family of four this week, during which they will only spend bitcoin. Beginning in San Marcos, Texas, they drove into Washington on Friday, the first stop on the “Uncoinventional Living Tour”, for the Bitcoin in the Beltway conference.
Neg

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 04:05:02 PM

I don't think we're quite there yet to do this sort of thing, though I recall some other couple doing a similar thing and making a documentary out of it.
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 04:59:00 PM

I don't think we're quite there yet to do this sort of thing, though I recall some other couple doing a similar thing and making a documentary out of it.

There were many attempts earlier, but none of them were as successful as this family. Anyway... this attempt gave a lot of positive PR to the Bitcoin sector within the United States.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 06:40:14 PM

John and Catherine have had quite a history of doing activism of sorts to get themselves in the news. Pretty sure both of them started out interning at different orgs/think tanks and then made their way out from there. They're kind of the earthy, independent minded (meaning they don't really latch on to any one movement; think FSP as an example) and they pretty much do their own thing while raising their family. Catherine is very boisterous, not exactly something I look for in a woman.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:13:52 PM

I wonder if they are planning on doing something similar in the next year or two.  Have a sneaking suspicion that it will become considerably easier with each passing year.  Great article though.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:55:08 PM

...she added: "I want the world to know that it is possible to travel the country using bitcoin only. And it’s not only possible but you can do it comfortably and take care of a family of four along the way."

I wasn't aware Bitcoin has come that far along in the USA, it's good to know.

montreal

Activity: 328
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 02:21:10 AM

On their blog it mentions a couple times they needed to pay middlemen (friends) with bitcoin, who then pay for their goods/services with fiat currency. Even with that, it is still pretty amazing how they have gone 7 days and not been forced to spend any USD.

DAEX ◄► RELIABLE CLEARING ECOSYSTEM ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ANNWHITEPAPERBOUNTY 
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 05:14:41 AM

On their blog it mentions a couple times they needed to pay middlemen (friends) with bitcoin, who then pay for their goods/services with fiat currency. Even with that, it is still pretty amazing how they have gone 7 days and not been forced to spend any USD.

In the US, there are tens of thousands of Localbitcoins sellers/buyers currently. Even in remote towns you have Bitcoin dealers, who are willing to convert your coins to fiat charging small commissions. So it is not that difficult.
Xona

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:03:25 PM

They are truly brave trying to make and show a concept. I think it would be difficult however considering that only a limited number of stores/facilities currently accept BTC's as a form of payment.
CoinMode

Activity: 417
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 12:46:37 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/family-travel-across-us-spending-bitcoin/

John Bush and Catherine Bleish began a road trip across the US with their family of four this week, during which they will only spend bitcoin. Beginning in San Marcos, Texas, they drove into Washington on Friday, the first stop on the “Uncoinventional Living Tour”, for the Bitcoin in the Beltway conference.

Oh great! We get represented by people who don't even know how to properly manage their last names when raising a family. Just another American tradition flushed down the toilet forever. Nothing to see here. I mean, who needs tradition when you can have total chaos instead?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: