Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:31:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me add my Bitcoin related activities on my resume/CV  (Read 1431 times)
CYPER (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:39:23 PM

So I am updating my Resume/CV and would need some help on what is the best way to add my mining, trading and ASIC reselling activities on my CV, so that it looks great to any potential future employer. Do you think that is a good idea?

I want to add it under Employment history, but can't think of a way to add all 3 activities under one section.
Also how best to describe it with words, so that it sounds really appealing.
Someone came with the "Cryptographic Systems Administrator" in another topic for Bitcoin Mining which sounds great, but maybe too pompous?

Shall I put Bitcoin Miner, Bitcoin Trader and Bitcoin ASIC Reseller under one section with a common title or maybe create 3 as it is easier to describe each activity better.

Any views are much appreciated. Thanks.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:49:59 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2014, 02:03:28 PM by franky1

So I am updating my Resume/CV and would need some help on what is the best way to add my mining, trading and ASIC reselling activities on my CV, so that it looks great to any potential future employer. Do you think that is a good idea?

I want to add it under Employment history, but can't think of a way to add all 3 activities under one section.
Also how best to describe it with words, so that it sounds really appealing.
Someone came with the "Cryptographic Systems Administrator" in another topic for Bitcoin Mining which sounds great, but maybe too pompous?

Shall I put Bitcoin Miner, Bitcoin Trader and Bitcoin ASIC Reseller under one section with a common title or maybe create 3 as it is easier to describe each activity better.

Any views are much appreciated. Thanks.

year 20XX-ongoing - self employed
asset manager hoarding coins
international currency trader trading coins
product supplier/reseller asic reselling

skills
leadership
social/professional networking*
business management
creating business partnership/relations*
stock control and sourcing
finance and budgets

* same thing worded differently

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
rext

Activity: 378
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 06:25:21 PM

franky, you're a genius lol.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 06:51:52 PM

What kind of job are you applying for? If it is sales related, you can mention you helped your friend sold bitcoin mining equipment. If you are applying for a financial/banking job, saying something about trading bitcoins and nothing about selling ASIC or mining.

I believe employers may not like you to have somthing on the side. They don't mind you having the experience on aspects of bitcoin if it is relevant to the job. If you portrait yourself as a bitcoin fanatic, you never know what the employer might think. A lot of people don't understand bitcoin, keep your bitcoin activities to yourself unless it is relevant. You can talk more on the topic during the interview when you are sure the employer feels positive about cryptos.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:06:38 PM

What kind of job are you applying for? If it is sales related, you can mention you helped your friend sold bitcoin mining equipment. If you are applying for a financial/banking job, saying something about trading bitcoins and nothing about selling ASIC or mining.

I believe employers may not like you to have somthing on the side. They don't mind you having the experience on aspects of bitcoin if it is relevant to the job. If you portrait yourself as a bitcoin fanatic, you never know what the employer might think. A lot of people don't understand bitcoin, keep your bitcoin activities to yourself unless it is relevant. You can talk more on the topic during the interview when you are sure the employer feels positive about cryptos.

hence me greying out the words bitcoin (to be used for OP to understand what it refers to) but saying "you helped your friend sold bitcoin mining equipment" is like saying you helped your grandma sell her knitted socks on ebay... (doesnt sound professional)

the way i describe it, is not a lie, but just tweaked into more professional wording that is understandable to average joe employer

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:22:58 PM

...but saying "you helped your friend sold bitcoin mining equipment" is like saying you helped your grandma sell her knitted socks on ebay... (doesnt sound professional)

That is what I wanted it to sound, not serious business, but still requires interpersonal skills and selling technique. So it will not affect OP's job performance when he is with the new company. I don't know enough about OP's line of work to give solid advice, just throwing out ideas.  Cheesy
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:42:30 PM

...but saying "you helped your friend sold bitcoin mining equipment" is like saying you helped your grandma sell her knitted socks on ebay... (doesnt sound professional)

That is what I wanted it to sound, not serious business, but still requires interpersonal skills and selling technique. So it will not affect OP's job performance when he is with the new company. I don't know enough about OP's line of work to give solid advice, just throwing out ideas.  Cheesy

you do realise to get a job, you have to show off skills, not play them down.. the only time you play down skills is if you want to settle for being a mcdonalds french fry chef..

remember most jobs these days get 100 applications per job advert, sounding like you only do your friend a favour, and sound average. wont make you stand out.

im pretty sure anyone that wants to write a CV in average joe speak of helping friends out, are guys under 23yo that have not had that many jobs that exceed 10% above minimum wage..

BitcoinBud44

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:56:00 PM

I don't think we are at the point where you can start throwing Bitcoin on formal resumes and cover letters.  One day... but not now.
Unless you're applying for jobs where Bitcoin is accepted at the organization of course.

✦ ────────  SPOKKZ  ──────── ✦
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
✦ ────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── ✦ Join Pre-Sale
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:00:11 PM

Unless the job you are attempting to get is sales related then you likely would not want to include the ASIC reselling as that is exactly what you were doing.....sales

The same goes with trading, as unless your job to be has to do with investments/trading of investments there is no need for this. If you were "trading" bitcoin locally (as opposed to on an exchange) then this would be considered sales, and you would want to highlight how you explained how bitcoin works, ect. to your buyers.

Your mining experience would be most well suited to highlight your technical expertise. This is the most likely scenario as, stereotypically most people who are into bitcoin work in some kind of technical field.

This has been said before, but I will say it again that you should say that you were self employed and you should mention what you did (your "responsibilities") in order to achieve your maximum benefit.  
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: