Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:29:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-06-22] Philippines get its first Bitcoin ATM  (Read 1194 times)
aliceHortrex (OP)

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 02:36:15 PM

http://cointelegraph.com/news/111897/philippines-get-its-first-bitcoin-atm

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 02:54:55 PM

That is excellent news. Bitcoin ATMs are really picking up in the South-East Asian region. There are 7 of them currently in Singapore, and a few more in the neighboring Malaysia. Indonesia and South Asia (India, Sri Lanka.etc) should be the next targets.  Grin
Junko
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 06:43:33 PM

This is definitely great news for many reasons. One being that the Philippines is one of the world's top labor-exporting nations, and remittances - transfer of money by a foreign worker to an individual in his or her home country - make up a significant % of the Philippine economy.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 07:10:20 PM

This is definitely great news for many reasons. One being that the Philippines is one of the world's top labor-exporting nations, and remittances - transfer of money by a foreign worker to an individual in his or her home country - make up a significant % of the Philippine economy.

But in that case what is the role of a Bitcoin ATM? Remittances will be sent as Bitcoins and they need to be converted to fiat. But this ATM probably  (?) only allows fiat to BTC conversion.
Junko
Legendary

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 07:34:51 PM

But in that case what is the role of a Bitcoin ATM? Remittances will be sent as Bitcoins and they need to be converted to fiat. But this ATM probably  (?) only allows fiat to BTC conversion.

Maybe so, but if nothing else, it helps bring more awareness of bitcoin to the population whose family members remit from overseas and awareness of another, more cheaper option than Western Union.
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:38:27 PM

Excellent read.  Hopefully they start getting several more in before the end of the year.  Would love to see competition in this area increase.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 03:08:51 AM

This I have been telling some of my friends from there to consider using it
So it has a large market to grow into the country really does have a lot of remittances going to it.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 05:08:59 AM

Maybe so, but if nothing else, it helps bring more awareness of bitcoin to the population whose family members remit from overseas and awareness of another, more cheaper option than Western Union.

The previous attempts to use Bitcoins for the remittance payments have been complete failures (for example, the M-Pesa / Kipochi setup in Kenya and Tanzania). And as far as I know, no one is currently using any Bitcoin service for sending remittance payments. I really hope that the situation will change in the near future.  Angry
Junko
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:17:29 AM

The previous attempts to use Bitcoins for the remittance payments have been complete failures (for example, the M-Pesa / Kipochi setup in Kenya and Tanzania). And as far as I know, no one is currently using any Bitcoin service for sending remittance payments. I really hope that the situation will change in the near future.  Angry

Yeah, I'm sure it will take time. But sooner or later people will realize they don't have to get raped with fees when sending money back to their families. And hopefully, then those types of business/services will fare better.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:14:22 AM

The previous attempts to use Bitcoins for the remittance payments have been complete failures (for example, the M-Pesa / Kipochi setup in Kenya and Tanzania). And as far as I know, no one is currently using any Bitcoin service for sending remittance payments. I really hope that the situation will change in the near future.  Angry

Yeah, I'm sure it will take time. But sooner or later people will realize they don't have to get raped with fees when sending money back to their families. And hopefully, then those types of business/services will fare better.

OK. Finally I have located a thread, posted by an user who used Bitcoins to send remittances back home.  Grin

He sent $30 from the US to Uganda, using Bitcoins through Localbitcoins.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=616845.0
qwerty555

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:22:31 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 07:38:45 AM by qwerty555

remitting $'s from usa and similar to Philippine pesos via FB cost is 4-5% including exchange rate costs if you have a bank account.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=626751.msg7007350#msg7007350

if they used the atm what would be the cost..for comparison?
Junko
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 08:00:28 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 08:11:20 AM by Junko

@bryant.coleman: Yes, localbitcoins. Wow, the Philippines looks under-served on there. Someone could make a lot of $/btc - or rather, pesos/btc I should say, it seems.

remitting $'s from usa and similar to Philippine pesos via FB cost is 4-5% including exchange rate costs if you have a bank account.

I don't believe one can exchange btc for cash with this atm, but according to the article, "Bitmarket [the company that ordered it] additionally offers cash settlements where you can convert Bitcoins into Philippine pesos daily.

I wasn't able to find their rate on their website. The only rate I could find was one for merchants who use Bitmarket. I guess they have s Coinbase-like service along with selling stuff for btc.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:42:51 AM

Wow... that means that their fees (4-5%) is less than half of that charged by the other money transmitters such as Western Union and Moneygram. WU usually charges 10% to 12% for money transfers to Philippines from the US.
Xona

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:09:58 PM

Good to see these ATM's going throughout the world and bringing further interest and coverage to BTC's. Other countries in the region already had tons of them so it's to see a new one rising in a new country -let's see if it get interest-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: