Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:01:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on religion for a Sunday morning  (Read 3172 times)
noviapriani (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 04:34:48 PM

People take their religion very seriously but seldom are capable of following the rules and regulations of the belief. Many are willing to die for it rather than live by it. Most man made religions are profoundly silly such as Christianity and Islam. The human ability to believe in the preposterous is unlimited and unfathomable. The more obviously ridiculous it is the more followers it attracts. Before you enter a house of worship you really have to lock your intellect up in a drawer and not retrieve it until your worship is over. Religion and intellect are not and will never be compatible.

This doesn't mean that theists are stupid only that it is necessary to not think about what they claim to believe. This is where it all becomes a house of cards. Remove one by thinking about it and the whole concept may collapse. Many people are in constant fear about losing their religion which is why some of them get very angry when its discussed.

Much of religion is based on fear. Fear of death, fear of judgement, fear of hell or some other punishment. The common expression "He is a God fearing man" sums it up well. Fear God if you know what's good for you. Religion chains you to the ground when the human spirit naturally wants to soar. Religion really has very little to do with the concept of "God". If God exists I doubt if he would have anything to do with any of these man made conceits known as the religions of the world. He would be well above such things.

bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 04:59:09 PM

People take their religion very seriously but seldom are capable of following the rules and regulations of the belief.

It's not that people take religion very seriously, it's that religion is reality in their minds. Things can be very real in the minds of people, but be completely absent in the universe itself or in the minds of others. As to what it means to believe, it is exactly that - but I find often people put in their own interpretations which are not communicated trough religious texts.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 05:34:04 PM

Couldn't agree more...

The only way to defeat superstition is a well educated population, when the only use for religion is ritual, it's pretty harmless.

commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 06:01:22 PM

Couldn't agree more...

The only way to defeat superstition is a well educated population, when the only use for religion is ritual, it's pretty harmless.

The problem with that is that some people don't WANT to be educated. Because it's painful, especially when they find out that everything they thought they knew is wrong.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:07:31 PM

Couldn't agree more...

The problem with that is that some people don't WANT to be educated. Because it's painful, especially when they find out that everything they thought they knew is wrong.

How can you force people to replace their belief with another belief? By eliminating them?

bitsmichel

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:47:33 PM

Couldn't agree more...

How can you force people to replace their belief with another belief? By eliminating them?

By removing information about their belief - or - what you mentioned. Both were implemented in the soviet union. But it seems even that does not stop people from believing.

peeveepee

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 10:57:56 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 02:38:57 AM by peeveepee

People take their religion very seriously but seldom are capable of following the rules and regulations of the belief.

It's not that people take religion very seriously, it's that religion is reality in their minds. Things can be very real in the minds of people, but be completely absent in the universe itself or in the minds of others. As to what it means to believe, it is exactly that - but I find often people put in their own interpretations which are not communicated trough religious texts.

Science can not explain everything, hence people need to find rational explanation on things they can not understand and find religion.

The believe in evolution is not that much different than the believe in god, both are highly speculative with no concrete proof.

sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:54:52 PM

Religion isn't for the perfect. It is for the imperfect, like me for instance.

Most man made religions are profoundly silly such as Christianity and Islam.
Says someone who believes the entire universe just happened out of essentially nothing and for no particular reason. Okay.

Religion and intellect are not and will never be compatible.
Many of the greatest minds of history were people of faith and they didn't seem to find any incompatibility between their accomplishments and their beliefs.

Much of religion is based on fear.
I disagree. I believe most religion is a natural attempt to understand the complexity of the universe and to form the basis for a moral, just, and kind society. Understanding that there is a power greater than oneself and knowing that spiritual power can be engaged with doesn't result in or come from fear.

What a bleak existence it must be to feel that life has no meaning beyond its superficial and temporary earthly manifestation.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
noviapriani (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:30:21 PM

Says someone who believes the entire universe just happened out of essentially nothing and for no particular reason. Okay.

Many of the greatest minds of history were people of faith and they didn't seem to find any incompatibility between their accomplishments and their beliefs.

I disagree. I believe most religion is a natural attempt to understand the complexity of the universe and to form the basis for a moral, just, and kind society. Understanding that there is a power greater than oneself and knowing that spiritual power can be engaged with doesn't result in or come from fear.

What a bleak existence it must be to feel that life has no meaning beyond its superficial and temporary earthly manifestation.
I actually do believe religion can and has done good in this world. My argument is that the dogma and stories don't make sense....and they don't. The beliefs are often silly and totally implausible but many folks just don't want to think about it. I can understand people believing God is sacred...but man made religions???

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:34:42 PM

The entire concept of Christianity is based on the game show "Let's make a deal."  I will do good things and in return, I will receive ever lasting life.  I get a pay back for my efforts.  It is only when you do good, for the sake of others with no desire for payback that you are actually manifesting the highest form of charity.  And, any review of today's churches shows they are far far away from this charity.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:38:23 PM

One of the best forums of control over the masses.

Loot at how easily you can convince people to go and slaughter in the name of some BS.
sana8410

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:41:17 PM

The entire concept of Christianity is based on the game show "Let's make a deal."  I will do good things and in return, I will receive ever lasting life.  I get a pay back for my efforts.  It is only when you do good, for the sake of others with no desire for payback that you are actually manifesting the highest form of charity.  And, any review of today's churches shows they are far far away from this charity.
Not exactly scriptural.  In fact, off hand, it is the only faith I know of where it teaches that good works cannot save us - rather, they should flow out of appreciation of what the Creator has done for us.
Now, agreed, there are churches that teach some variation of what you posted .  But, churches do err - thus one of the reasons for most if not all of the books of the New Testament.  Be it Revelation, where John is correcting the churches, or Paul's epistles, etc.

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 02:05:00 PM

In a time where people would lose their heads for saying god wasn't really do you really believe the smartest people on the planet believed what came out of their mouths?
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:58:29 PM

Bleak?
It's actually quite the opposite. It is actually liberating.
Realizing that there is no afterlife or heaven or earth or valhalla after death, a person can focus on the life they have now, instead of holding themselves back because they are worried about not getting into [insert_preferred_afterlife_here].

As for the argument that we need religion to have morality... I think people who only do good deeds and not bad ones just because they are scared of "hell" are not good people at all!  Lips sealed
Are they saying that if they didn't believe in hell they'd go berserk?  Grin

sana8410

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:01:31 PM

In a time where people would lose their heads for saying god wasn't really do you really believe the smartest people on the planet believed what came out of their mouths?
OK you kinda lost me a bit but I think I understand what you are trying to say,  Anyone who has any kind of opinion will likely believe of what they are saying no matter if there smart or not intellectual. 

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:19:04 PM

Much of religion is based on fear. Fear of death, fear of judgement, fear of hell or some other punishment. The common expression "He is a God fearing man" sums it up well. Fear God if you know what's good for you. Religion chains you to the ground when the human spirit naturally wants to soar. Religion really has very little to do with the concept of "God". If God exists I doubt if he would have anything to do with any of these man made conceits known as the religions of the world. He would be well above such things.
That's really just YOUR perception and frankly it's ridiculous. I am a spiritual person and I don't fear any of the things YOU think everyone does. There may be some who live in a fear based existence, just as there are some like yourself who also have a closed mind and warped perceptions concerning spiritual things.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sana8410

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:24:26 PM

Bleak?
It's actually quite the opposite. It is actually liberating.
Realizing that there is no afterlife or heaven or earth or valhalla after death, a person can focus on the life they have now, instead of holding themselves back because they are worried about not getting into [insert_preferred_afterlife_here].

As for the argument that we need religion to have morality... I think people who only do good deeds and not bad ones just because they are scared of "hell" are not good people at all!  Lips sealed
Are they saying that if they didn't believe in hell they'd go berserk?  Grin

I do good because i feel it ,not because i am afraid that i will go in hell .Now depends on each person how understands God or a religion.As for afterlife ,i believe it has to be something after we die,maybe not heaven ,maybe not hell......

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
umair127

Activity: 378

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:29:36 PM

Religious belief can arise from many impulses -- fear, curiosity, you name it -- but one impulse I think it definitely comes from is love, which seems to be an essential component of all the big religions (and probably all the lesser known ones that I'm not familiar with): the Golden Rule, which they all build upon, springs from the instinctive human experience of empathy, which is just another word for love. My favorite religion, in terms of being something that's a manifestation of the human impulse to love, is Christianity. I don't know enough about the charitable efforts of non-Christian religions, but, wow -- you've gotta give it up for the tremendous human good that gets done by groups of people motivated by the gospels of the New Testament. Throughout my life, I've known and sometimes worked with religiously motivated people carrying out wonderful acts of human kindness (another synonym for love), and have always contributed to Christian charities. True enough, it may all just be due to ordinary human kindness, but, well . . . who cares? If it helps people to do so many good things, I'm quite certain I don't want a world free of "irrational" belief.

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:33:52 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2014, 05:51:46 PM by Rigon

Religious belief can arise from many impulses -- fear, curiosity, you name it -- but one impulse I think it definitely comes from is love, which seems to be an essential component of all the big religions
Religion has no dibs on love or any other emotion.  People of every religion and people of no religion love just as deeply.
Why is religion always trying to take credit for the good things?   Love...yeah, that one's ours.  We got love.  We are all about love.  (Implying that those without religion aren't quite as in tune to love).  We got compassion....oh yeah....we are the most compassionate (implying that the non-religious are therefore less compassionate).  WE have a more fulfilled existence, less bleak  (that's pretty straightforward alleging those without religion are bleak).

It is the greatest load of horseshit ever shoveled onto mankind and of all the religions of the world only the Buddha saw it.  He realized every human, no matter what they believe have felt the same emotions in the same ways and have the capacity to love and feel just as deeply as people of other faiths or of no faith.
noviapriani (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:50:27 PM

Religious belief can arise from many impulses -- fear, curiosity, you name it -- but one impulse I think it definitely comes from is love, which seems to be an essential component of all the big religions
Religion has no dibs on love or any other emotion.  People of every religion and people of no religion love just as deeply.
Why is religion always trying to take credit for the good things?   Love...yeah, that one's ours.  We got love.  We are all about love.  (Implying that those without religion aren't quite as in tune to love).  We got compassion....oh yeah....we are the most compassionate (implying that the non-religious are therefore less compassionate).  WE have a more fulfilled existence, less bleak  (that's pretty straightforward alleging those without religion are bleak).

It is the greatest load of horseshit ever shoveled onto mankind and of all the religions of the world only the Buddha saw it.  He realized every human, no matter what they believe have felt the same emotions in the same ways and have the capacity to love and feel just as deeply as people of other faiths or of no faith.
Well part...that's true for what its worth but at the same time you can't ignore that the graveyards of the world are stuffed to overflowing with the graves of those who have killed in the name of religion and were killed in the name of religion. The earth weeps over the weight of human blood shed for God.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: