Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:13:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASICS MANUFATURERS STARTING TO COMPETE WITH THEIR BUYERS  (Read 1653 times)
gperez2000 (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:47:08 PM

It looks that the manufactures starting to compete with the people that buys their products, that's really awful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hintss

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2014, 10:06:29 PM

Hasn't this been happening for years?
bubbabc

Activity: 57

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 11:25:05 PM

Yeah, it's a pretty neat kickstarter scheme. Get us to fund their initial work, ramp up production, do some more R&D, then mine all the Coins for themselves.

d-_-b
bubbabc

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:58:56 AM

CoinTerra mining plant - close to $100Grand a month just for the electricity.

At their retail price, 500 CoinTerra mining rigs would cost ~$1.6million and ~$93500 per month in electricity based on anticipated power consumption and average Utah electricity prices (not including HVAC and other power costs).

[Suspicious link removed]j.com/moneybeat/2014/06/09/bitbeat-like-a-hurricane-cointerras-giant-bitcoin-mining-plant/

Note: Video is noisy and loud.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 02:08:51 AM

It looks that the manufactures starting to compete with the people that buys their products, that's really awful.

Always been considered an issue that just lacked confirmation...

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:43:00 AM

The first company to release ASICs to end-users was Avalon.  Check this out:
http://www.coindesk.com/avalon-accused-of-mining-with-customer-asics/

And they blatantly lied to their customers and were quoted as saying they would never mine with customer's hardware.

BFL was the first company to take pre-orders and in their current class-action lawsuit they have admitted to mining for profit with customer's hardware even though BFL promised it would use a test-net.

I would assume every company is cheating unless you know them personally.  Sad state of affairs  Sad
R4v37

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 07:45:05 AM

And they blatantly lied to their customers and were quoted as saying they would never mine with customer's hardware.

BFL was the first company to take pre-orders and in their current class-action lawsuit they have admitted to mining for profit with customer's hardware even though BFL promised it would use a test-net.

I would assume every company is cheating unless you know them personally.  Sad state of affairs  Sad
they'll mine it for some profits
well, profits from selling hardware isnt a good choice for this kind of company, why?
they have to keep up with the new generation, new idea, etc. which will cost them MONEY!
so, its still normal if they mine using customer's hardware...

nvm, cant blame them, they're trying to deliver the best to us
Glizlack

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 12:56:15 AM

It just goes to show if a company has great gear and isn't desperate for cash why would they sell something they could make more money with?  Of course they wouldn't. The only companies pushing out product obviously need the cash.

I realize i am generalizing a lot but still look at the history!  Only 1 major company off the top of my head doesn't seem to be doing this bitmaintech stands alone. I would also say the innosilicon miners have saved us all a lot of money by having a bunch of different companies competing with a reference design.

Steve

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:02:16 AM

they'll mine it for some profits
well, profits from selling hardware isnt a good choice for this kind of company, why?
they have to keep up with the new generation, new idea, etc. which will cost them MONEY!
so, its still normal if they mine using customer's hardware...

nvm, cant blame them, they're trying to deliver the best to us

Are you OK with a waiter eating some of your soup before serving you?  Are you OK with a store using the light-bulbs they're selling for a couple hundred of hours and putting them back in the box.  EU laws actually state this is illegal and in the US items for sale that have been used need to explicitly say they are not new.

I'm OK if they say they are going to mine with hardware until it gets sold, but you place a pre-order and they spend any time mining with it outside of a short reasonable burn-in time they're committing fraud.  Unfortunately this has been happening quite a bit since BTC is the Wild West apparently.

Are you insane enough to actually condone it?  Perhaps you meant to say you understand why they would do it  Huh
cesarm

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:54:58 AM

I don't know about competition, I believe they use their customers to mine for them.

Cycle: buy hw with money or bought coins > mine x coins > buy more hw with x coins > mine 1.1x coins > buy more hw with 1.1x coins > ...

This way the customer is actually mining for the manufacturers (and I think this is the best scenario, I believe some people put more money every round).

In the end the customer will stay with obsolete pieces of HW and the last "round" of coins.

My only doubt about the process is if the manufactures believe in the BTC concept and are keeping the coins or if they are selling every single coin they make.
thirdprize

Activity: 485
Merit: 274

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2014, 08:43:47 AM

Sorry, but if they sent the hardware out untested you would all be the first to complain.  You need to run these things for a while just to prove test it works and doesn't go BANG! two hours later.  And while you have paid for it, I am sure it is not technically yours until you receive it. 

ALToids

Activity: 519
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 09:51:03 AM

Sorry, but if they sent the hardware out untested you would all be the first to complain.  You need to run these things for a while just to prove test it works and doesn't go BANG! two hours later.  And while you have paid for it, I am sure it is not technically yours until you receive it. 

Do you want them to run it for a month to 3 months?  Is that enough of a burn in for you?
bubbabc

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:58:44 AM

Do you really think they test all these units before they ship them? I seriously doubt they test any. A few random boards may be tested somewhere in the process, but that's probably it. To actually mine coins with them before shipping to the customer is an entirely different matter. Building mining farms with PH power is an entirely different matter too. Maybe people need to start demanding some proof that the units haven't actually been used to mine with. Maybe one of the electronics people around here could speak to the idea of a counter chip or something.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: