Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:44:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overstock CEO Calls Bitcoin Code "Slop"  (Read 3034 times)
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:50:16 PM

20 gigs is not that much any more...but still quite a bit.....this is really quite scary.....

I used a mac se 30 circa 1989 and and lived happily with 20 megs and heard of a mythical 1 gig HD that blew my mind at the time

20 gig is not much, but 20 gig AND growing daily, is VERY scary. Next year we will reach 30+ gig

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:59:09 PM

20 gig is not much, but 20 gig AND growing daily, is VERY scary. Next year we will reach 30+ gig

Which is less than the rate of storage growth and storage already has a huge heads start.  Everything is relative, if your $150 SSD hold 50% more capacity next year and the blockchain is 50% larger are you really falling behind?  On a larger scale when the blockchain is too large to fit on your 256GB SSD you probably will be able to buy a 16TB SSD for less than what your current drive costs. 

Still the reality is no matter what happens, or what changes are made to any crypto-currency, your average casual user is not going to run a full node.  They just aren't.   I mean if you cut it 75% they still aren't going to.  This isn't to say improvements and efficiency to the protocol shouldn't be considered but the reason shouldn't be so Joe Sixpack can download the blockchain because he isn't going to regardless of what you do.  If Bitcoin someday has 50 million users I would imagine 99% are using SPV clients, eWallets, or some other "lite" alternative.  Still 1% still mean 500K full nodes and that is more than sufficient to support the network.   For a business like overstock 10GB per year in storage is not even a factor to consider.  Their email archive requirements (as a publicly traded company) are probably on the order of tens of TBs per year (and that is probably being conservative).
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 08:14:15 PM

Which is less than the rate of storage growth and storage already has a huge heads start.  Everything is relative, if your $150 SSD hold 50% more capacity next year and the blockchain is 50% larger are you really falling behind?  On a larger scale when the blockchain is too large to fit on your 256GB SSD you probably will be able to buy a 16TB SSD for less than what your current drive costs. 

The thing everyone seems to forget about is internet speed. My internet speed has not increased with the capacity of my harddrives (proportionally of course) - not even close. I'm barely hitting 1 MB/s and you'd have to assume the average household is probably less than that.. That's a lot of download time even for 20 Gigs.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 08:23:17 PM

Which is less than the rate of storage growth and storage already has a huge heads start.  Everything is relative, if your $150 SSD hold 50% more capacity next year and the blockchain is 50% larger are you really falling behind?  On a larger scale when the blockchain is too large to fit on your 256GB SSD you probably will be able to buy a 16TB SSD for less than what your current drive costs.  
The thing everyone seems to forget about is internet speed. My internet speed has not increased with the capacity of my harddrives (proportionally of course) - not even close. I'm barely hitting 1 MB/s and you'd have to assume the average household is probably less than that.. That's a lot of download time even for 20 Gigs.

And if you had read D&T's second paragraph in addition to the one that you quoted, you'd have realized that he already addressed this:

Still the reality is no matter what happens, or what changes are made to any crypto-currency, your average casual user is not going to run a full node.  They just aren't.   I mean if you cut it 75% they still aren't going to.  This isn't to say improvements and efficiency to the protocol shouldn't be considered but the reason shouldn't be so Joe Sixpack can download the blockchain because he isn't going to regardless of what you do…

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 08:28:29 PM

No one puts into perspective that hard drives will already have the blockchain on them in the future  Cheesy
Crindon

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:12:05 PM

Zuminest

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 09:39:42 PM

I wonder what specifically he is referring to? I mean Bitcoin's code can't be all that bad. See how far we have come! Smiley
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 09:47:10 PM

I wonder what specifically he is referring to? I mean Bitcoin's code can't be all that bad. See how far we have come! Smiley

Well I have no idea either, but I'm not a programmer, I am aware that Bitcoin has a couple of issues and things that need stress testing like the whole 51% attack but it was stated that Satoshi himself was not a programmer and there were flaws being found regularly in his code, his idea was brilliant but it's obvious he released it open source so people could look at it and fix things rather than have everything all go horribly wrong in a closed source environment and have the experiment be a total failure.

I mean, look at what we can do with it now programmers who know their code have their hands on this, we've got decentralised social networks, a decentralised ebay in the works, dark wallet, more anonymous currencies to protect peoples' privacy. Once we get some proper designers to back up the programmers and create something that is user friendly the financial sector as it is now are going to be shitting themselves, every time I think of the possibilities I start losing sleep and want to work more on anything I'm doing lol it's great motivation.
froggyfeels

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:12:47 PM

Let's keep in mind that Satoshi was a genius, great programmer
Nope...

Genius maybe, good programmer probably too but definitely not "great".
Also he secured his premine by developing on Windows only. Wink

I didn't realize that on the Windows. I would still say he was great to get something implemented like bitcoin...but I get what you mean.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:42:10 PM

not worth debating about
he is not computer scientist, he could hear smth, he can imagine smth, doesn't matter
hes doing good for Bitcoin thats important
CoinMode

Activity: 417

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 10:42:54 PM

I assume he must be referring to downloading the blockchain.  The blockchain size is growing at a fast rate.  It's also extremely impractical for most people to download a 20 gigabyte blockchain.  I couldn't imagine what the case will be when Bitcoin could be 100 gigabytes in a few years.

In a few years we will all have 100Mbit internet connections. Downloading the blockchain might take a day, and full nodes will likely get reimbursed for storing a copy of the blockchain once mining becomes unbeleivably profitable during the next boom to $10K 2Q/2015.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:03:10 PM

Still the reality is no matter what happens, or what changes are made to any crypto-currency, your average casual user is not going to run a full node.  They just aren't.   I mean if you cut it 75% they still aren't going to.  This isn't to say improvements and efficiency to the protocol shouldn't be considered but the reason shouldn't be so Joe Sixpack can download the blockchain because he isn't going to regardless of what you do.  If Bitcoin someday has 50 million users I would imagine 99% are using SPV clients, eWallets, or some other "lite" alternative.  Still 1% still mean 500K full nodes and that is more than sufficient to support the network.   For a business like overstock 10GB per year in storage is not even a factor to consider.  Their email archive requirements (as a publicly traded company) are probably on the order of tens of TBs per year (and that is probably being conservative).

by that time you could probably store it on free/cheap cloud storage, however i'm not sure if you could/should trust a cloud node.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:25:55 PM

I assume he must be referring to downloading the blockchain.  The blockchain size is growing at a fast rate.  It's also extremely impractical for most people to download a 20 gigabyte blockchain.  I couldn't imagine what the case will be when Bitcoin could be 100 gigabytes in a few years.

In a few years we will all have 100Mbit internet connections.

Absolutely not true. (Assuming you mean the US).

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
creepzzin

Activity: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 04:02:37 PM

Then why doesn't he help in coding it, if the code is 'Slop'. People would rather complain than do something about it.

Ummm... Do you really think the CEO of Overstock has time to do that??
percocet

Activity: 222
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 04:12:57 PM

Well I call his web site "slop"  Grin
bEGPO cNuPTA

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 05:17:33 PM

I assume he must be referring to downloading the blockchain.  The blockchain size is growing at a fast rate.  It's also extremely impractical for most people to download a 20 gigabyte blockchain.  I couldn't imagine what the case will be when Bitcoin could be 100 gigabytes in a few years.

In a few years we will all have 100Mbit internet connections. Downloading the blockchain might take a day, and full nodes will likely get reimbursed for storing a copy of the blockchain once mining becomes unbeleivably profitable during the next boom to $10K 2Q/2015.

That is an incredibly optimistic prediction you have there Wink

Hopefully you're right though. But even if your 10k target comes true I doubt anyone is getting reimbursed for storing the blockchain anytime soon.
Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 02:43:25 AM

I assume he must be referring to downloading the blockchain.  The blockchain size is growing at a fast rate.  It's also extremely impractical for most people to download a 20 gigabyte blockchain.  I couldn't imagine what the case will be when Bitcoin could be 100 gigabytes in a few years.

That is an incredibly optimistic prediction you have there Wink

Hopefully you're right though. But even if your 10k target comes true I doubt anyone is getting reimbursed for storing the blockchain anytime soon.
It would not be unreasonable for nodes to be compensated sometime in the future when TX volume gets heavy enough to support much higher TX fees per block then we see now.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ThomasCrowne

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

★☆★ 777Coin - The Exciting Bitco

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 02:47:25 AM

Doesn't most source code contain some degree of "slop"?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 02:48:56 AM

It would not be unreasonable for nodes to be compensated sometime in the future when TX volume gets heavy enough to support much higher TX fees per block then we see now.

That will probably never happen.  Try to think of a cryptographically secure way to compensate full nodes for actual support.   If I create 20,000 nodes and connect them to each other using minimal resources would I get most of the "node reward".  Proof of work, "works" because its something that can't be faked.
ar9

Activity: 352

View Profile
June 25, 2014, 02:49:58 AM

Pretty sure this is common knowledge.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: