Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:50:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: split in bitcoin  (Read 897 times)
mubashir (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:21:08 AM

Is it possible in future bitcoin splits in multiple groups of nodes/blockchains and every group claims as the original one like we see in religions and their sects.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:28:27 PM

Is it possible in future bitcoin splits in multiple groups of nodes/blockchains and every group claims as the original one like we see in religions and their sects.

christianity: bitcoin
budism: litecoin
athiests: FIAT

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Yeezus

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 12:32:13 PM

I don't get the point you're trying to make here? I don't think he's talking about alt coins but can there be two versions of the bitcoin blockchain or something.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 01:06:45 PM

yes, its called a hardfork.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
mubashir (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:39:17 PM

Sorry, if I am asking because of my wrong concept of bitcoin network.

If Christianity = bitcoin then what would we say about Catholics, Protestants, Orthodox etc? everyone claiming  as original christians and rejecting others and same thing in all other religions. So I mean to ask is it possible if bitcoin network splits in parallel blockchains and each of them claims the same name "original bitcoin" and rejects other ones (that is not the case with other alt/colored coins).

Another scenario: few of big banks/countries start another parallel blockchain/nodes network, and advertise  it heavily as the original bitcoin network? influenced people suddenly start downloading clients from their new websites.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 01:43:41 PM

Can you prove there is or is not a god?

Agonism FTW.
mubashir (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 05:19:12 PM

So the hardfork can leads to run multiple parallel networks?
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 05:29:55 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2014, 06:12:51 PM by Gyrsur

So the hardfork can leads to run multiple parallel networks?

it is possible and was real on 11/12 March 2013.

all new 0.8.0 Satoshi nodes accepted/created blocks which the prior to 0.8.0 version nodes declined. a fork was born. but all involved parties react quickly and in a very professional manner. all major pools which are already upgraded to 0.8.0 switched back to the prior version and the "new" blockchain died because of this decision/acting. the "old" blockchain did receive all blocks from this moment ongoing.

EDIT: to be very clear: GHash.IO can reach 50+ percent hashpower again and tweak the code to manipulate transactions in his own blocks. then we will have a "bad" blockchain and a "good" blockchain. and which blockchain is then the truth?

mubashir (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:19:09 PM

it is possible and was real on 11/12 March 2013.
Oh this happened already but on small scale.

then we will have a "bad" blockchain and a "good" blockchain. and which blockchain is then the truth?

then It will start like a civil war in absence of a centralized govt in a country.
TimS

Activity: 250
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 11:47:19 PM

Yes, a split is possible, and is called a hardfork. This has happened before, but AFAIK there's never been different groups claiming both branches should continue: rather, a code change in the core client causes a fork, and there is consensus on which chain should continue.

Sustaining a split would probably mean that Bitcoin Core is forked, so we have more than one maintained reference implementation: each chain might still like to call themselves "Bitcoin" and claim themselves as the "true" child of the original vision of Bitcoin, but by necessity one or both will have some identifier added to the name it's popularly known by.

Note that transaction outputs from before the fork would be spendable in both chains, while those after the fork would be spendable in only one chain. The effects of this would be interesting...I think it'd be highly destabilizing, discouraging the sustained use of the smaller of the two forks.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 12:22:49 AM

I don't get the point you're trying to make here? I don't think he's talking about alt coins but can there be two versions of the bitcoin blockchain or something.

altcoins= religions not based around christ. such as budism, muslims etc.
but if a BITCOIN hard fork happened. the majority will follow the path (fork) that seems best for their bitcoin beliefs and ethics, leaving some onto a different path, which they may drop, switch, ignore or protest later.. this is where Christianity split into all the different versions. but ultimately there would be a clear main religion (fork) that people follow

thus i did not specifically mention which minority of Christianity bitcoin was, but left it as the loose description of many religious groups, which i initially hoped people would have worked out for themselves.

i have now waffled too much about religions (not a topic i like to get involved in)

have a nice day

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
waldox

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2014, 02:08:00 AM

christcoin
mohammedbits
jewcredits

i call first dibs and copyright on these new crypto currencies

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   * Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto & Mississauga accepts Bitcoin  * Downtown Toronto Real Estate Realtor Blog & News * Toronto House Evaluation * Toronto Dental Cleaning Hygiene Centre
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
desticy

Activity: 1512
Merit: 292

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 03:22:24 AM

The world together, only one will survive.

Nerazzura

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 07:12:20 AM

Is Faith Based – In Bitcoin We Trust (as long as everyone else does)
Bitcoin is like religion. You have to believe in it. You have to believe it has value and you must find a community of believers that also think it has value.Bitcoin has an army of believers and evangelizers who have a vested interest in convincing others that there really is something behind the digital curtain. but unity with one another regardless it more fun
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 07:35:42 AM

From my knowing athiests are not that reckless Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: