Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:05:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Money stolen by tradehill  (Read 1997 times)
fuktbyth (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:33:04 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2012, 08:09:31 PM by fuktbyth

Hi. I found out about bitcoin not too long ago. cool idea. I don't have lots of money to buy any but I learned how to mine it and I got that set up. Over the past 2 months I was able to mine 2 bitcoins.  Cool

Then I put it into tradehill and sold it!  nice!   and then next thing I know they go out of business and because I have less than $10 from selling only 2 bitcoins they take it all from me.  The first ever money I make from bitcoins is stolen.  My excitement turned to something else quickly.   Cry

If you want to do the right thing Jared please give me my 2 bitoins back.  1KpoMx7ZcR45qMo1Uf3iQ8fsurhgtnQfcK

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaintFlow

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

The first is by definition not flawed.

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 05:41:40 PM

please do not tell me you are still cpu mining at this point

don't let me make you question your assumptions
Wandering Albatross

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 06:03:30 PM

Doesn't surprise me, the BTC world is full of scams and scammers. I wonder how many others were robbed by them too.  Just make sure in the future to "trust no one" a.k.a. TNO.  This kind of theft could seem like small stuff but if there are enough small thefts then they could make some real money out of it. It's a skimming scheme and that seems to be very common in BTC world. Lots are trying to skim BTC from anywhere/everywhere.

BTC: 1JgPAC8RVeh7RXqzmeL8xt3fvYahRXL3fP
drewtaz

Activity: 48

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 07:29:32 PM

It might help if you put tradehill in the title and also make sure you contact them via email.

I just sent you 2.01010101 btc. Just send it back to me if Jared pays you... If not keep it. I would hate bitcoin to lose a citizen for this.

Thanks.

Now that was just awesome.

One day, when I have cheaper power, I too will finally mine 2 BTC ...lol
fuktbyth (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 08:09:00 PM

please do not tell me you are still cpu mining at this point

no but I don't have the best graphics card and don't mine all the time.
fuktbyth (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 08:12:06 PM

It might help if you put tradehill in the title and also make sure you contact them via email.

I just sent you 2.01010101 btc. Just send it back to me if Jared pays you... If not keep it. I would hate bitcoin to lose a citizen for this.

Thanks.

Wow thanks!   Shocked

YOu have restored my excitement with bitcoins. I will pay it back to you but reading other threads it doesn't seem they will change there mind.

edit: Not that you should be giving me anything but I don't see any bitcoins how long is it supposed to take to show up in my wallet?

Thanks again 
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 08:16:09 PM

If you want to do the right thing Jared please give me my 2 bitoins back.

must see tv: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP9gSfXgir0

this is just a technicality but you didn't have bitcoins held by tradehill after you had exchanged them but instead you had us dollars.

tradehill never offered any method to pull dollars out at no cost.  but you are correct, they should not be charging a fee to cut a check now that we no longer have an option to convert those dollars into bitcoins.

counterparty risk is showing up in all kinds of places nowadays.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2012, 08:52:01 PM

Doesn't surprise me, the BTC world is full of scams and scammers. I wonder how many others were robbed by them too.  Just make sure in the future to "trust no one" a.k.a. TNO.  This kind of theft could seem like small stuff but if there are enough small thefts then they could make some real money out of it. It's a skimming scheme and that seems to be very common in BTC world. Lots are trying to skim BTC from anywhere/everywhere.
WTF. The Tradehill people are outstanding members of the Bitcoin community who have for 8 months provided a valuable service, fighting various hardships and losing tons of money. Even now they are staying in the game and might one day resume operations of the exchange.

There's no sense being worked up about some loose change that is worth less than what it would cost to transfer it. I have some $7 left there too and I don't at all mind it going into the development of bitcoin.com.

Thanks.

Wow thanks!   Shocked

YOu have restored my excitement with bitcoins. I will pay it back to you but reading other threads it doesn't seem they will change there mind.

edit: Not that you should be giving me anything but I don't see any bitcoins how long is it supposed to take to show up in my wallet?

Thanks again  
I completely sympathize with wanting to start small with Bitcoin and being upset when things seem not to work out. I too had an unpleasant experience when I started out (didn't have any funds vanish, but couldn't withdraw USD as easily as I'd hoped). In the great scheme of things these really are drops of bad in a bucket of good, you only need to realize that Bitcoin has a long, bumpy ride ahead of it.

Anyway, if you've already downloaded the blockchain you should see the transfer immediately, maybe you're not connected to the network.

Edit: Maybe the sender is disconnected from the network, I don't see a transaction to 1KpoMx7ZcR45qMo1Uf3iQ8fsurhgtnQfcK in either a block or the list of floating transactions.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
fuktbyth (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 09:56:45 PM

Doesn't surprise me, the BTC world is full of scams and scammers. I wonder how many others were robbed by them too.  Just make sure in the future to "trust no one" a.k.a. TNO.  This kind of theft could seem like small stuff but if there are enough small thefts then they could make some real money out of it. It's a skimming scheme and that seems to be very common in BTC world. Lots are trying to skim BTC from anywhere/everywhere.
WTF. The Tradehill people are outstanding members of the Bitcoin community who have for 8 months provided a valuable service, fighting various hardships and losing tons of money. Even now they are staying in the game and might one day resume operations of the exchange.

There's no sense being worked up about some loose change that is worth less than what it would cost to transfer it. I have some $7 left there too and I don't at all mind it going into the development of bitcoin.com.

Thanks.

Wow thanks!   Shocked

Thanks again  
I completely sympathize with wanting to start small with Bitcoin and being upset when things seem not to work out. I too had an unpleasant experience when I started out (didn't have any funds vanish, but couldn't withdraw USD as easily as I'd hoped). In the great scheme of things these really are drops of bad in a bucket of good, you only need to realize that Bitcoin has a long, bumpy ride ahead of it.

Anyway, if you've already downloaded the blockchain you should see the transfer immediately, maybe you're not connected to the network.

Edit: Maybe the sender is disconnected from the network, I don't see a transaction to 1KpoMx7ZcR45qMo1Uf3iQ8fsurhgtnQfcK in either a block or the list of floating transactions.

Or maybe he is someone with a cruel sense of humor that likes to help someone up just to trip them back into the mud again.  I don't know maybe his signature explains it. ( sorry if this is wrong and I am just being impatient looking for what was sent ) It gives some of my friends a chance to say I told you so, like wandering albatross says too, people in bitcoin are scammers. If that is the way people treat each other here I don't want to be a citizen.   Sad

localyokel

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 25, 2012, 10:59:53 PM

I lost some money too but Im happy to donate to the bitcoin world, especially the folks at tradehill Smiley They were always good to me hopefully they will resume operations or their other venture will work out.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 12:03:38 AM

That can happen when both the sender and receiver are using the same exchange (e.g., Mt. Gox) and the transaction is settled internally -- never hits the blockchain.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

fuktbyth (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 02:50:32 AM

That can happen when both the sender and receiver are using the same exchange (e.g., Mt. Gox) and the transaction is settled internally -- never hits the blockchain.

That isn't an exchange address. The exchange I was on was tradehill and they took not some but everything I had there. I don't know why fuzzy prick would say he sent something but didn't but I am not really asking for a handout but just to have the money back I mined myself. What service did tradehill provide to me that they feel like they can take ALL my money?  $10 may be nothing to most people but it is something to me. I can't even give anything to my parents for the electricity I used and they pay for. 
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 06:50:00 AM

That isn't an exchange address. The exchange I was on was tradehill and they took not some but everything I had there. I don't know why fuzzy prick would say he sent something but didn't but I am not really asking for a handout but just to have the money back I mined myself. What service did tradehill provide to me that they feel like they can take ALL my money?  $10 may be nothing to most people but it is something to me. I can't even give anything to my parents for the electricity I used and they pay for.  
You were unlucky enough to start using Tradehill when they were forced to shut down due to circumstances beyond their control. In the "non-Bitcoin world" businesses acting in good faith close down all the time, and often customers suffer from it, in amounts much more than $10. I understand that losing everything that you had to do with Bitcoin must hurt, but that is a statement about you, not about Tradehill or Bitcoin.

I don't believe Fussy Prick is lying about having sent. I know it looks bad, but I examined it some more and noticed that blockexplorer.com only reports blocks up to 168424, while my own client reports knowing 168543 blocks. blockchain.info reported something about re-importing the block chain and are now down completely. I think this might be some sort of forking or incompatibility caused by architecture changes scheduled for recently. There ought to be posts on the forum about similar phenomena which are worth looking for, but I suggest everyone should update their client to the most recent version and then just wait.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 07:24:41 AM

Everything is down: Blockchain.info, blockexplorer.com, the main ABE site... Luckily, I managed to at least find one instance of ABE still running and up to date:
http://blockexplorer.funkymonkey.org/address/1KpoMx7ZcR45qMo1Uf3iQ8fsurhgtnQfcK

ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 07:58:47 AM

Everything is down: Blockchain.info, blockexplorer.com, the main ABE site... Luckily, I managed to at least find one instance of ABE still running and up to date:

what do you mean, abe is down?!?
it works perfectly for me: http://abe.john-edwin-tobey.org/

If you have problems accessing it, I can restore the Abe instance at ecdsa.org, but I 'd rather not to because it slows down the Electrum server.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 09:25:05 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2012, 02:49:10 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

When you do get your bitcoins back, if you're looking for a way to exchange them for USD which will work with such a small amount, you live in the US and can accept Amazon payments, I can recommend http://coincard.ndrix.com/.

Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 12:09:48 PM

When you do get your bitcoins back, if you're looking for a way to exchange them for USD which will work with such a small amount, you live in the US and can accept Amaxon payments, I can recommend http://coincard.ndrix.com/.

Or of course http://spendbitcoins.com. Smiley

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 02:16:01 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2012, 02:41:37 PM by Stephen Gornick

what do you mean, abe is down?!?
it works perfectly for me: http://abe.john-edwin-tobey.org/

The most recent block in the BItcoin blockchain there ( http://abe.john-edwin-tobey.org ) is from January.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2012, 07:57:07 PM

Odd, blockchain.info doesn't work for me with Firefox 3.6.27, but it does work on Chrome. So you can also verify with http://blockchain.info/address/1KpoMx7ZcR45qMo1Uf3iQ8fsurhgtnQfcK or http://blockchain.info/block-index/183665/00000000000009ab6e1c90b41cae85772383f7b4a05076c5e8195ff190406d35 if your browser supports it. (EDIT: Apparently everything works on Firefox too, except for the homepage).

fuktbyth, can you check how many blocks your client has downloaded (hover over the icon in the bottom right) and how many connections you have (the signal icon next to it)? If you have less than 168451 blocks and no connections, can you restart the OS?

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 08:25:35 PM

Or maybe he is someone with a cruel sense of humor that likes to help someone up just to trip them back into the mud again.

Or maybe this is the payment:

http://blockchain.info/tx-index/2704475/adba2332ca09a8a0fa297f8d8108315aff88d9e778024a8ef6661e50ac0d18e1

blockexplorer is quite badly out of date for some reason.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████