Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:54:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Signs First Ever Official Law Regulating Bitcoin  (Read 2639 times)
harles9

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 09:21:27 AM

Yeah, I don't see this one as being beneficial for Bitcoiners...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2014, 11:58:59 AM

Yeah, I don't see this one as being beneficial for Bitcoiners...

Nope, not at all!

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 12:48:27 AM

Laws are one thing, enforcing them is another.

Just like piracy laws, I bet 0.000001% of the people downloading illegal things actually get jailed or have to pay a very large sum.

Seems like the little guy should be ok. You just want to make sure you don't draw attention to yourself or be the one or two big players on anything questionably legal. For instance you think the government is going to go after someone for not reporting like 5 BTC of mined income?  How would they even know you mined it?
Generally speaking this is true, however it is very well possible that law enforcement would want to be aggressive with prosecuting a smaller user for a number of reasons. They could want to send a message to others that they want everyone to follow the law, they could be trying to bring unrelated charges against the person, but can't find enough evidence, so they bring these charges, or it could be any number of other reasons.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
July 14, 2014, 05:24:55 PM

Laws are one thing, enforcing them is another.

Just like piracy laws, I bet 0.000001% of the people downloading illegal things actually get jailed or have to pay a very large sum.

Seems like the little guy should be ok. You just want to make sure you don't draw attention to yourself or be the one or two big players on anything questionably legal. For instance you think the government is going to go after someone for not reporting like 5 BTC of mined income?  How would they even know you mined it?
Generally speaking this is true, however it is very well possible that law enforcement would want to be aggressive with prosecuting a smaller user for a number of reasons. They could want to send a message to others that they want everyone to follow the law, they could be trying to bring unrelated charges against the person, but can't find enough evidence, so they bring these charges, or it could be any number of other reasons.

Possible but I think anyone who found themselves in such a situation with a competent legal representative could beat the charges brought against them generally speaking.  Going after the little guy would prove to be very ineffective in many ways.  Mainly the cost and time put into the case for such a small time offender would be an issue in my opinion.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: