Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:23:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Union  (Read 741 times)
jc01480 (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 03:34:04 PM

This made me LOL!

Nerazzura

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 04:35:02 PM

This made me LOL!

it's an incredible idea, friend. Bitcoin is still need to finish a lot of homework to be able to set yourself as a promising currency and can be used in the world of normal transactions. Because if no one accepts Bitcoin in your town, or there is only one person who would exchange it into cash, then he will treat you worse than Bitcoin MoneyGram or even disappear with your Bitcoin.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 05:05:13 PM

Western Union would be ideally positioned to promote the installation of bitcoin ATMs at each location.  But the ATM would be programmed in such a way that the WU customers don't realize they're using bitcoin:

1.  Sender (customer) selects location where receiver will pick up money (and specifies optional password).

2.  Sender deposits bills and coins, and machine prints receipt with QR code and secret number.

3.  Sender instant messages receipt to receiver.

4.  Receiver types in secret number or scans QR code.

5.  Machine at receiver side releases money

6.  Profit is shared between WU and the sender/receiver franchises.

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Dr. Pepper

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:03:06 PM

What's funny about it?

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:17:10 PM

What's funny about it?

There's nothing funny about it. Bitcoin is going to get more and more real world competition from businesses that are already established. These existing companies have been making huge profits for decades and can afford deep discounts to keep their business. I can already imagine some of the future adverts:

Who you gonna trust with your money?

This guy:

Or this guy:

Dr. Pepper

Activity: 172

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:23:31 PM

Haha. I don't trust either of them judging by those pictures to be honest.

bananaControl

Activity: 322

Decentralize All The Things!

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:31:41 PM

Haha. I don't trust either of them judging by those pictures to be honest.

And the cool thing about bitcoin is that you don't have the either.

Activity: 230

Come original.

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:36:46 PM

I've never used anything like Western Union before. I guess I don't have to now with bitcoin. WU seem to be hated only second to PP on here.
blatchcorn

Activity: 952
Merit: 281

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:40:56 PM

Western Union would be ideally positioned to promote the installation of bitcoin ATMs at each location.  But the ATM would be programmed in such a way that the WU customers don't realize they're using bitcoin:

1.  Sender (customer) selects location where receiver will pick up money (and specifies optional password).

2.  Sender deposits bills and coins, and machine prints receipt with QR code and secret number.

3.  Sender instant messages receipt to receiver.

4.  Receiver types in secret number or scans QR code.

5.  Machine at receiver side releases money

6.  Profit is shared between WU and the sender/receiver franchises.
I believe the future of a user-friendly bitcoin is making payment systems that only use bitcoin in the back-end as a money transfer.  Right now, people still want to shop in their national currency.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 06:50:26 PM

I've never used anything like Western Union before. I guess I don't have to now with bitcoin. WU seem to be hated only second to PP on here.

Of course! Don't you always hate competition? Problem is, Americans consumers are fools and they will always be fools. They are led around by advertising, promotions and coupons. Bitcoin is tiny and unorganized. Large corporations have been manipulating this system for years and so have their advertising companies. Bitcoin already has an uphill battle to fight because of all the bad press since it's inception. When advertising kicks in that hill is going to turn into Mt Everest.

Jesu

Activity: 166

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 07:06:44 PM

Western Union is just another greedy money transmitter service. They take a massive chunk for what is essentially a very simple and cheap process. Bitcoin should hopefully make them change their ways.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 10:44:22 AM

What's funny about it?

There's nothing funny about it. Bitcoin is going to get more and more real world competition from businesses that are already established. These existing companies have been making huge profits for decades and can afford deep discounts to keep their business. I can already imagine some of the future adverts:

Who you gonna trust with your money?

This guy:

Or this guy:

+1

Good point, the current amount of people that are using Bitcoin to actually buy stuff, and I mean not to invest in crypto, is very small.

So the average people at home will most likely prefer WU to transfer money from point 'A' to point 'B'
MtGox, hackers, scams, theft, etc. That's what the average people know about Bitcoin, this has to change in order to achieve global adoption.

djarot

Activity: 350
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:42:46 PM

meanwhile western union boss is busy saying he's waiting for bitcoin to be regulated like a currency on bloomberg aha! I don't know what this means!
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:44:50 PM

meanwhile western union boss is busy saying he's waiting for bitcoin to be regulated like a currency on bloomberg aha! I don't know what this means!

That would be really good!!
fdiini

Activity: 167

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 01:50:13 PM

That would be really good!!

Read between the lines.

If bitcoin is to be regulated like a currency, it will be no different than fiat.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 02:01:05 PM

Trust the super hacker kid that knows how to protect something or the super rich guy that got mad rich via fees I'll have to pay him..

HUMMM GEE A HARD ONE.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 05:57:31 PM

Trust the super hacker kid that knows how to protect something or the super rich guy that got mad rich via fees I'll have to pay him..

HUMMM GEE A HARD ONE.

I think you just described why were all here. I'd trust some unknown kid over a suit any day.

Benjig

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 26, 2014, 07:19:04 PM

Western Union is just another greedy money transmitter service. They take a massive chunk for what is essentially a very simple and cheap process. Bitcoin should hopefully make them change their ways.

Yes, is unbelievable how big is the fee WU charges only to transmit money electronically, i hope people start to realize this and stop using that crappy service.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: