Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:23:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blowfan took apart  (Read 1937 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 02:19:57 AM

After seeing the video, I decided to do it myself. It seems the most easy way to pop up the fan is to keep the fan screwed on the cooler, raise the outer side of fan wheel with screw drivers and push the other side of the fan wheel from the back of the cooler (through the long opening on the cooler base), you can apply enough power with this method without worrying about damage the fan, it will pop out with a "click" sound (first make sure it is a brush-less fan)

As seen from the fan wheel part, the root of the axis are thinner than the axis, under normal operation this part is locked by the black plastic bearing well on the hub, apply force will push the axis out through that plastic bearing well. The metal axis bearing in the hub is totally sealed, oil can be contained inside for a long time, the only possible leakage is from the black plastic bearing well, which will certainly get lose every time you pop out the fan wheel. So I added some mineral oil inside the metal axis bearing house and put some bearing grease on the root of the axis, hoping that the grease will seal the black plastic bearing well

In principle, such a construction will almost never need re-oil, unless the fan is always running at high speed in hot weather, thus the oil vaporized

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 02:50:51 AM

. . .

damn you.

i just tried it on mine, and the spool part snapped off.  Angry

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 03:01:19 AM

. . .

damn you.

Poppin' your fans, taking away your payouts.
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 03:09:51 AM

luckily, it's the one i already replaced.

i also found out the fan has shitloads of cat hairs in it.

johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 09:59:41 AM

. . .

damn you.

Sorry to hear that, maybe there is a safer method. There are lots of openings on the cooler under the fan, I guess it should be easier to push the fan through all those openings at the same time using same pressure, thus the spool will not get hurt

carafleur

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

lost@bitcoinica.com

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 10:39:38 AM

Just reminds me of...

...All credits to http://z1x.dk/category/btc-comic/ !

“We build but to tear down. Most of our work and resource is squandered. Our onward march is marked by devastation. Everywhere there is an appalling loss of time, effort and life. A cheerless view, but true"
“Most certainly, some planets are not inhabited, but others are, and among these there must exist life under all conditions and phases of development.”

Tesla N
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 05:59:50 PM

Just reminds me of...

...All credits to http://z1x.dk/category/btc-comic/ !
Ahahaha! That is great. I just did that, playing with a jet engine Delta fan from a server PSU.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 06:01:43 PM

Care to provide some more details with how you applied pressure.  I tried it on a fan which was already "noisy"/failing and just ended up breaking it.

Running 5970 24/7/365 isn't "normal" wear and tear so ever fan will eventually need to be re-oiled and/or replaced.
Buckwheet

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Green Mining 85% Cheaper

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 07:40:44 PM

I just took mine out to try the fix. Adding the lubricant helped for about 15 minutes of running. So I just ordered a replacement from ebay.

bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 07:55:46 PM

I just took mine out to try the fix. Adding the lubricant helped for about 15 minutes of running. So I just ordered a replacement from ebay.

Yeah. I think if the bearing is shot / damaged then there is no point adding lube.

What lube did you use ?

Thanks !
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 08:04:45 PM

Yeah. I think if the bearing is shot / damaged then there is no point adding lube.

What lube did you use ?

Thanks !

I don't know what he used but sewing machine oil is a good choice for oiling fans.  Never use WD40.  It isn't an oil for some reason people think it is though.
bulanula

View Profile
February 26, 2012, 09:44:55 PM

What lube did you use ?

Thanks !

I don't know what he used but sewing machine oil is a good choice for oiling fans.  Never use WD40.  It isn't an oil for some reason people think it is though.

Is there any thing better than sewing oil ?

Is this FanLube stuff just marketing ( expensive too ) or really worth it and better than regular sewing oil : http://www.noisy-computer-fans.co.uk/

See here the last points comparing this and sewing and 3 in one oils : http://www.sunbirdmanagement.co.uk/FANLUBE/FanLubeFAQs.htm

As always, I appreciate your detailed and researched insight D&T !
Buckwheet

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

Green Mining 85% Cheaper

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 03:07:47 AM

My first lubricant was very fine graphite. I then tried the sewing machine oil. So far the graphite has worked great for helping fans in the past, but someone recommended the sewing machine oil and I figured why not.

johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 27, 2012, 02:34:49 PM

Care to provide some more details with how you applied pressure.  I tried it on a fan which was already "noisy"/failing and just ended up breaking it.

Running 5970 24/7/365 isn't "normal" wear and tear so ever fan will eventually need to be re-oiled and/or replaced.

Which part did you break?

At first I took the fan down, using the method from the video: 3 screw drivers from each corner. But that did not work, the red triangle plastic base on the fan bended a lot, almost reached a point of danger, so I remounted fan firmly on the cooler, and raise out side of the wheel (close to the end of the cooler) using a 5mm diameter screw driver shaft, and push the inside of the wheel from the back of the cooler through that long opening, slowly increase pressure, not very easy, but it will eventually pop out. I guess if you push too hard too quick, the spool will get destroyed, so it is best to push through all of those holes on the cooler at the same time, maybe 5 small fingers or something like that will work

johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 11:09:08 PM

Another type of fan from 5870, this one is much easier to remove, and there is a black heat pipe on the back of the VRM cooler part, so that it can run easily at 900+ mhz

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 11:56:11 AM

I dont understand how people can pop the fan part off of the metal and electrical parts like nothing. I broke 2 blower fans at the part that joins the triangle plastic thing to the PCB (actually, just before it, it leaves a circle piece of plastic left in the PCB part)

bulanula

View Profile
March 03, 2012, 04:19:39 PM

I dont understand how people can pop the fan part off of the metal and electrical parts like nothing. I broke 2 blower fans at the part that joins the triangle plastic thing to the PCB (actually, just before it, it leaves a circle piece of plastic left in the PCB part)

Same here.

I once tried to take this fan apart and I could not pull it off with all my force.

Maybe the 3 screwdriver trick can do it ( but I have not tried that myself ) Huh
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 01:58:23 PM

I think the key is to raise all the parts of the fan at the same time, since you do not have access to all the parts of the fan at the same time, some parts will be lifted first, but only marginally, if you lift one part too high, then the spool will get high tension from that side and becomes more difficult to lose

I guess another solution is to use 5-7 strong string to evenly tie the fan blades at different parts and drag the fan out slowly

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: